Thread: Are You a BlackBerry User?

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are You a BlackBerry User?

It can be hard finding good applications and accessories and I wanted to pass along a few that I have had that have been useful. If you have any let me know, thanks.

Here are a few free applications that work well for me. They are easy to use even if you don't know what an RSS feed is, I didn't until I loaded the application, but it is a great tool. Some of them are task specific and if you don't have an interest in that it still may be a fun novelty. Some require GPS capability to be enabled so depending on your carrier it may or may not work. None of these have caused any problems and I have had them all for at least six months some for more than a year. I have an 8830 but most of theses are compatible with all 7000 and 8000 series depending on your os.

Viigo- this is an RSS feed that let's you select from a list of channels and websites or you can add your own, including Opti-Board. You can also set up various Google, MSN, and Yahoo, searches on any keywords you choose.

For those who don't know what this does or worry that it may be complicated I assure you that if I can figure it out anybody can. Basically it works like this,

Select a few websites from the list of over 100, for example, CNN. During the day any updates from the CNN site are gathered by the service and ready for you when you open the Viigo application. If you have several sites you want to check you only have to open one application and scroll down you list, see what's new, click on what you want to read, that's all. There are categories that make it easy to find topics of interest from science and technology to entertainment and sports.

CarFinder- allows you to log your GPS fix so you can find your car in the parking lot.

MicroSky- gives you a view of the viewable starts, planets, and other interesting heavenly bodies, day or night based on any location in the world. You can use GPS or zip code, zoom, rotate, and pan, from any location.

StockViewer- allows you to select stocks and reports there current market price, gain or loss, and overall market activity. You can drill down and get details on performance up to a year shown as a bar graph.

CNN, NY Times, Fox News- all have application icons you load on to your phone. All you have to do is click the icon and it takes you to their page formatted for Blackberry.

Google Chat and Yahoo have Blackberry formatted icons and applications as well, and as I understand it ussing Google Chat, for example, does not count as a text message that you are billed for by your carrier, it is part of the data plan.

That's just a couple I have some good websites and accessories too, well see how many have an interest.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have yet to sign up for a data plan for my Blackberry, as they are astronomically expensive in Canada. I'm hoping the iPhone release next month in Canada with level them off.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope so too Jedi. I am thinking about going iphone vs the palm treo I have now.

Release date ~ July 22nd ???????

PS Srry for being off topic AngryFish

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

iphone vs BlackBerry

That's fine. I have friends who use iphones and love them. The new iphone is going to start at 199.00 for 8gig and 299.00 for 16gig, if I remember correctly.

I got my son and itouch and almost bought on myself. They are fantastic little devices. We ordered it online and it shipped Fed-Ex from China, I believe, and we had it in a couple of days.

The reason I picked BB over iphone is that I write a lot on my phone and it seemed easier, cut and paste, document size, etc, on BB than iphone. When you get the iphone let me know what you think.

I pay about 130.00 a month for two lines unlimited data, about 500 min plus texting and use my BB as a moden for my computer. Is that more or less than what you would have to pay?
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I pay close to $70 a month for unlimited email/text, 0 data, 200 min, unlimited evenings weekend. Adding a data plan starts at $25 for 4MB. No unlimited data out there yet unless you caught a promo.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just got my Blackberry last weekend. After about 12 hours of figuring it out, and setting it up......I think I like it. I was able to get an email about a private message on OptiBoard, log in, and reply.
    That was very cool.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys much be rich!

Even if I could afford one.....I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You guys much be rich!

Even if I could afford one.....I wouldn't know what to do with it.
    No, not rich by any means..........

My old contract was up so I had discount pricing on both my phones. I got the free phone for my boy, and I paid only $99 for the blackberry. I already had unlimited texting "because of the boy" and I only needed to add unlimited internet for the blackberry.

If everything goes as planned, my phone bill will only increase $35 a month.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm just a gadget junkie. Got the Blackberry for free as a hardware credit and just had to add the email. I'm not to bummed about having web browsing, because I use my Ipod touch for browsing in wifi areas.

Occupation
    OH YEA......It has a high quality mp3 player, GPS, TelNav, AND takes great pictures that are 1600 pixles wide.

I really like it.:D
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Dunno what we pay, my hubby is the accountant :D
    We both have palm treo's and use Rogers cell phone service. I can search the web on it, emails, texting, etc. It works, so I'm happy.

I thought I lost it the other day and a brand new one with rogers is 499.99, ugh. I shall be sure to hold on to mine rather tight!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have an Iphone, anyone have any questions feel free to Axe.

Occupation
    I have a blackberry but I think I am going to get the LG 10000 (?) smart-touch screen with qwerty flip out keyboard next. Best of iPhone AND blackberry apps.

I love the iPhone but cannot use the touch screen because I have long fingernails. Blacberry model I have is good for enterprise apps but not for media. LG does both.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

iphone

Does anyone know what improvements have been made to the new iphone?

I can play video and music on the BlackBerry and get video from a few websites but not anything like the Apple product.

How easy is it to learn to type on the iphone and how large a document can you create? I can get just at 2000 word in a memo then I copy and paste into an email and send it to my computer.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't matter what I use, I usually lose it within a matte of weeks. (Usually after the novelty wears off...) I'm not looking for a gadget with more memory; I'm looking for MY memory!:hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Johns,

you have no exceuse rot your brain, you dont even own a tv.

You should try watching a 'Flavor of love' marathon and then come back and tell us how many brain cells you have left.

Not that I watch that stuff

Thread Information