Thread: silhoutte rimless drill

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry silhoutte rimless drill

Is there an easy way to put these lenses and chassis together? Silhoutte rimless drill, with lenses and chassis? :angry: I struggle with the plastic inserts, which never seems to fit, I end up having to try to make the drilled holes bigger, even then the plastic plugs are so hard to insert through the lenses. Any clues or advice?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get from Silouette the plier designed to secure compression fitted frames. Be sure the rocking part of the plier tip is used on the concave side of the lens. Insert the untrimmed posts through the holes. Use a one sided razor blade to cut the excess plastic posts off flush with the front of the lens. Do not make the holes larger. The lab is sending you the correct size.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Get from Silouette the plier designed to secure compression fitted frames. Be sure the rocking part of the plier tip is used on the concave side of the lens. Insert the untrimmed posts through the holes. Use a one sided razor blade to cut the excess plastic posts off flush with the front of the lens. Do not make the holes larger. The lab is sending you the correct size.

Good luck!
    I can not get the plastic plugs through the drilled holes! The posts wont slide in. I am struggling with them and they end up bending instead of sliding in. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Leighlee; 06-03-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: more info

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighlee View Post
    I can not get the plastic plugs through the drilled holes! The posts wont slide in. I am struggling with them and they end up bending instead of sliding in. What am I doing wrong?
    The holes should be 1.4mm in diameter, are you using the right diameter drill?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you using Silhouette supplied posts? Do not cut them first. These are Silhouette frames correct?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    The holes should be 1.4mm in diameter, are you using the right diameter drill?
    The holes are already drilled in the lenses, I am just trying to insert the plastic post inserts...and for the life of me, I can not get those to slide in...they just won't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Are you using Silhouette supplied posts? Do not cut them first. These are Silhouette frames correct?

Yes using the silhoutte posts, and not cutting them before hand. Yes Silhoutte Titan
    Last edited by Leighlee; 06-03-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: more info

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try wetting a finger tip with some soap and touching it to the drill holes to create some lubrication. Be sure to rinse off and dry your hands before trying to insert the posts so you can better handle and grip them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I recently had the same frustrating situation...lab always drills them right, but apparently not this time.

Tried the "lube"...no dice.

What worked was taking a hand drill (you know, the "pump" kind) and ever so gently, ever so gently expanding the hole...it was like a two-second ream out.*

Here's a (surely to be discounted coming from an OD) optician tip: My fav-o-rite "optician's tool" is a metal bulletin board push pin. (I said I was an OD, didn't I?) When cutting the bushing flush to the lens, take the push pin and insert it into the bushing hole and nip or cut around the pin. It prevents the bushing collapsing and getting a "poor cut". FWIW.

(*No offensive jokes, sick people)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I recently had the same frustrating situation...lab always drills them right, but apparently not this time.

What worked was taking a hand drill (you know, the "pump" kind) and ever so gently, ever so gently expanding the hole...it was like a two-second ream out.*

Here's a (surely to be discounted coming from an OD) optician tip: My fav-o-rite "optician's tool" is a metal bulletin board push pin. (I said I was an OD, didn't I?) When cutting the bushing flush to the lens, take the push pin and insert it into the bushing hole and nip or cut around the pin. It prevents the bushing collapsing and getting a "poor cut". FWIW.

Marchon actually includes one of those push pins in their Airlock kit!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Neat trick drk, thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats a good suggestion,

This is what an other Optician in my office does the Pin works great just do it gently

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Labs will pre-inset the compressions for you, if you request. As far as cut-off, I like the green handled snips you can get from Sil. Much quicker and easier than using a razor. ( And I do use the thumb tack trick to re-open the compression.)

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What I use to open the sleeves after cutting is --- well, everyone has had a Hilco aluminum screwdriver that for some reason or another, the blade just will not come out. So I grind the blade down to a sharp point and use it instead.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Soft gasket or hard gasket

There are two sizes/types of gaskets. One is hard, which is for just a smidge smaller holes, and one is soft, which is for just a smidge larger holes. Not a lot of difference, but there is some. Make sure you are using the ones designed for your style. Every style comes with the correct ones. Check with your rep and make sure you order the correct number.

Diane

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there an easy way to put these lenses and chassis together? Silhoutte rimless drill, with lenses and chassis? :angry: I struggle with the plastic inserts, which never seems to fit, I end up having to try to make the drilled holes bigger, even then the plastic plugs are so hard to insert through the lenses. Any clues or advice?
    I just take a push pin and stick it through the hole (insert on the same side of the lens that you will push the plastic insert in) and work it around in there for a second. Has worked for me every time with no problems of feeling loose.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    For me, the trick to those gaskets was pushing them in straight and evenly. Any angle would bend the opening. I had a little tool from Hilco for picking up screws that I would grasp the middle of the Silhouette plastic insert and that would hold the piece straight to insert just enough for me to push through with a folded piece of thin cardboard.

The other trick is to use a bead reamer (under $15). You can buy one at a craft store like Michaels and it will help widen the mouth of the drill holes just enough to give you stability for insertion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I find the pushpins with the ball on the end work better than thumb tacks, the point is smaller. :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For this type of problem, I...

1, Use a reamer (broche) to enlarge the hole slightly.
    2. BUT, before you do that, try using a dremel ceramic "burnisher" to "break" the edge of the holes on the backside of the lens. Often, when you've tried to "force" bushings in, and they don't go, you've inadvertantly deformed the edge of the bushing.
    3. If all of the above doesn't work, then try "heating" the Silhouette studs in a frame warmer (and the bushings as well). They'll go right in!!

FWIW

Barry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not familiar witrh Sillhoette but with plastic inserts, I cut them on the tips at an angle. Get them through the holes and cut flush. I suspect sillohett will work the same.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the suggestions given in the thread are good, but I would check first that who ever is doing your drilling is getting your hole size correct. When everything is as it should be, the bushings should slide in smoothly, yet firmly. I've only had to fall back on widening the holes a handful of times when the lab's drilling was sub-par.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    James,

Welcome to Optiboard. I am a fellow SE PA guy! Good to see another PA resident onboard!

(I see you've been a member since 2006....where you been? Start posting a bit more often!)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-04-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: One post in 2 years! Lets get to posting already! ;^)!!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by James Ahearn View Post
    All of the suggestions given in the thread are good, but I would check first that who ever is doing your drilling is getting your hole size correct. When everything is as it should be, the bushings should slide in smoothly, yet firmly. I've only had to fall back on widening the holes a handful of times when the lab's drilling was sub-par.

ditto Fezz

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Use K-Y Jelly

Thread Information