Thread: Ultrasonic Solutions

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ultrasonic Solutions

I would like to have some input on what type of solution is typically used in your ultrasonic tanks. We use a concentrated solutyion specifically designed for ultrasonic tanks, but, if say, dawn dishwashing liquid works just as well, would save a few pennies.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Dawn it is

Thats excatly what we use!!!! A nice thick mixture of Dawn and H2O! I usually have enough Dawn in to make it look like a pretty blue swimming pool---that way I can pretend I'm at the beach! :cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Mostly water and a little Mr. Clean

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dawn Dish washing liqiud,

Or it's generic grease cutter, anti-bacterail and water, Ajax brand, cheaper. :idea:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dish soap and a little ammonia.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

looking for the chemical guru's replies....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I doubt if Chris would respond to this thread, only because it wouldn't entail something he sells,lol just kidding, anyway, maybe he does sell something that is inexpensive like dawn or ajax, but better(his opinion)

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use a combination of Dawn and a little bit of alcohol in H20. Works just fine. Just remember to take those AR-coated lenses out before putting the frame in. ;)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper maybe he does sell something that is inexpensive.................

Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I doubt if Chris would respond to this thread, only because it wouldn't entail something he sells,lol just kidding, anyway, maybe he does sell something that is inexpensive like dawn or ajax, but better(his opinion)
    Your doubts will vanish within a few seconds it takes to read the text below..................

Dawn and Ajax are full fledged consumer products you find in every household, they do a good job for the purpose they are made for.

I could even give the Ajax smell to some lens cleaner, I have it in a bottle in a high concentration, it only take a few drips to a gallon of water and it smells exactly like Ajax or similar cleaners. Conclusion it is not the smell that does the job, as it is only added perfum that hides other smells or give it the brand name smell.

The best cleaner ever under the sun, was Freon, now prohibited because of the depletion of the ozone layer for which it is blamed. One very delicate usage of freon was the airlaine industry which used it to clean the jet engine turbine blades which loose a lot of efficency when dirty.

When freon came off the market worldwide, one of the old large chemical manufacturers came up with a surfactant that was clean and would do the same job on airplane engines as freon did, mixed into water. I purchase this product by a 45 gallon drum for $ 1,800.00.

We then mix it with some other surfactants and sell it as a super ultrasonic cleaner concentrate of which you use a small quantity and add water to it. Doing thaT, it really does not cost that more than your common household cleaners you use on glasses that you have sold for many hundreds of dollars.

Doing that you defy the purpose of the optoical profession...........selling high priced frames and lenses and look for the cheapest solutions to service them as long as they do an acceptable but not a perfect job.

Using household cleaners should also require the use of an old tooth brush instead of a high tech ultrasonic cleaner that knock the nose cheese and also, old greasy makeup as wll as hair spray and other dirt particles off the glasses in record time, and you only have to rinse them under water. :finger:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Using household cleaners should also require the use of an old tooth brush instead of a high tech ultrasonic cleaner that knock the nose cheese and also, old greasy makeup as wll as hair spray and other dirt particles off the glasses in record time, and you only have to rinse them under water. :finger:
    Hey I use a tooth brush and the ultrasonic cleaner.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Hey I use a tooth brush and the ultrasonic cleaner.
    That would make make you.................= "Harry the Ultrasonc Cleaner" :bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That would make make you.................= "Harry the Ultrasonc Cleaner" :bbg:
    Now don't go patenting this idea and everything, this is going to be my big invention of '08. Ready, Ready..........an ultrasonic toothbruch to clean frames with. I call it the high end low end.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,
    I appreciated all the professional info you gave for considering your product, for this I thank you very much. However, I feel you stepped over the line when you criticized what we use or our methods, (replete with that stupid looking round form that shakes his finger at you) If you will notice my initial post, I was looking for a solution to the ultrasonic solution which worked JUST AS WELL but not as expensive. I don't view that as wanting something that is just "acceptable" sorry. Also, without even knowing it seems you assumed we didn't use a toothbrush, which we do, to clean the frames. Sorry, you can't guilt me in to buying your product this time, nice try though, and I do appreciate your info.

Occupation
    Our's is a combination of 1 part opticians tears, 2 parts concentrated patient complaints, and 5 parts Clear Care (only the finest sample bottles):D

SL - 1001 Amcon Ultra Blue, I was raised on the blue stuff and this is good stuff and it's blue so that's what I use. 1 x 8 ounce bottle makes 4 gallons and it's only $9.99 plus we use them for our other items so it makes it easier to just order it through them.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper you can't guilt me in to buying your product this time

Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Chris,
    Sorry, you can't guilt me in to buying your product this time, nice try though, and I do appreciate your info.
    THE MEB................If you are under the impression I was making a salespitch for myself, you sre wrong. I was explaining how we approach the fact to make a better product than you can make a home made brew.

There are plenty others out there that make good products and live of their own sales in the ultrasonic cleaner business.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB
    but, if say, dawn dishwashing liquid works just as well, would save a few pennies
    ...............and if I would say buying my glasses on line, works just as well, would save a few pennies, which falls in the same category as your statement.......................... you would be even more offended. :)

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Simple Green, either the clear or the regular, works great at cutting the grease and wax off of the surfaces of the lenses. Smells good too! Don't use Lysol, as it will very quickly start taking off the clear coating on metal frames, at best dulling their metallic shine making a new pair look years old! Bleach in the solution murders A/R coated lenses, definitely a no-no.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Oxydation possible.......................

Some of those cleaning chemicals that you mix together can in the worst case start an oxydation process of the metal, not visible when just done.

Thread Information