Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: licensing

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    All of Canada is licensed , and Canada has achieved a form of license reciprocity and license mobility across the country as well .

Perhaps, they have a model that might work and could be duplicated .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 05-20-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sex Stupid and Sin

You would think that with large corporations driving down wages, lousy self-proclaimed useful optical associations, ever expanding internet sales, and a limited supply of licensed opticians, combined with a shred of pride or forward thinking you would have a motivated professional body of skilled people dedicated to advancing or at least preserving their livelihood.

Well Guess Again.

You have entered the world of the most complacent occupation that of the licensed Optician.

We don't care about the future. The organizations appear to be in bed with the large companies and everyone else is getting their voyeuristic jollies watch the fat slobs sweat and moan in ecstasy as the exploit everything and everyone with their disgusting appetites to devour.

We are watching the seven deadly sins bounce around on the bed of our future and all we do is ask if they'll sell us popcorn.
    Last edited by AngryFish; 05-20-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryFish View Post
    We are watching the seven deadly sins bounce around on the bed of our future and all we do is ask if they'll sell us popcorn.
    You ever heard of Sloth, call the OAA and offer your help. 800-433-8997
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    For Opticians, Ontario has one of the strictest licensing laws for Opticians. Opticians are paid rather well in comparison.

The only negative in Ontario is ODs do not have to employ opticians (actually, it is illegal for them to do so). So it allows the ODs to have much cheaper costs that Opticians.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ever Heard of Sheep

The last state to license was Ohio in the 1970's. I'd say thats thirty years of doing something the wrong way and encouraging others to the same folly is the flock mentality that got us here.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Angry.........

Dear Angry,

If one were to draw a conclusion from your 2 posts it would be that you have identified the problem and know the solution to it. Why else would anyone living in a glass house start throwing stones around?

Truth be known, a contributor to this thread, incidently, made a similar post to your first one a couple of years back. He was given some advice which he has gladly shared with you. He took the advice and is actively working toward a better future for Opticianry.

Pick up the phone and call OAA and offer to help. I am positive it will be well received, and your efforts will bear fruit and provide us all with a better future.
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cant Do Everything

I have no problem with my level of involvement or what I contribute to the profession.

Its interesting though that the assumption was that I am not involved simply because I gave voice to the obvious.

As to having the solution, this isn't the forum, and only time will tell, but are we missing the boat, clearly and with great skill yes.
    Last edited by AngryFish; 05-21-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: title

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The future of opticianry is downhill. Those with the education who have licensing think that is the solution. Those that do not are left out in left field. Until the total industry becomes uniform and all have the same credentials nothing you will do will solve anything.

I have no problem with my level of involvement or what I contribute to the profession.

Its interesting though that the assumption was that I am not involved simply because I gave voice to the obvious.

As to having the solution, this isn't the forum, and only time will tell, but are we missing the boat, clearly and with great skill yes.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There is a movement (small at present) to make Minnesota a licensed state.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I meant no disrespect by my post, I just made an observation. Of course one person can't do it alone, it's got to be a group effort. That's the whole idea behind OAA. I am no longer privy to what is going on at OAA but if they haven't already, they should appoint a task force for the purpose of promoting licensing in all states, with a plan on where and how to start. There already exists a National Committee of State Regulatory Boards which could be helpful in this regard, perhaps in providing some of their members for this task force. In any event, the original impetus should come from the states themselves. PA was the last state (that I am aware of) who attempted licensing. Now Jacqui has told us of MN and Chip mentioned MS a while back. It could be a beginning!

Are you either by yourself, or as a State assn member, a member of OAA? If the answer is no.....its time to start!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-21-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: finish the thought
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In The Pocket

The information I have shows a connection between business intrests that don't care to advance the profession seeing it as nothing more than an expense.

Let's see them take public steps to disprove what goes on behind closed doors.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    All of Canada is licensed , and Canada has achieved a form of license reciprocity and license mobility across the country as well .

Perhaps, they have a model that might work and could be duplicated .
    Not to long ago I posted how Canada achieved licensure reciprocity through Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with our National (Federal) goverment and Provincial (State) health Boards. It can be seen in www.cobc.ca

The one response I recall was something like.. "we don need or wont any Federals telling us what to do, like they do in Canada",
    or something to that effect.
    With that kind of attitude, you won't see National licensing in the US anytime soon.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The information I have shows a connection between business intrests that don't care to advance the profession seeing it as nothing more than an expense.

This post made little sense as written. Just exactly what are you trying to say?
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is one of those instances where I deplore the use of screen names and undisclosed locations. Aside from rash generalizations and a less than definite plan of action, Angryfish has nothing to add to the discussion.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No I don't defend ananomity, but often wish I had used it.

Acutually I understood Angryfish's post. She means that our optical associations do what the heirarchy wants with no polling or input from the membership directly. The few times they do ask it is at best a list of multiple choice questions.
    If the OAA and the CLSA would have a website set-up like this one where we could voice our grevances and state what we would like the organization to do. Then place polls based on member questions they might a lot more effective and certianly would be more respected and appreciated.

I have been to national meetings of both organizations where we had sales courses and good ole' boys passing around awards to each other and as far as the membership could tell this was all that was accomplished at meetings.

Many of the elected officials seem to feel that if they get an instructor furnished by a national company telling us about the latest coating or PAL (which few of us could comprehend or learn anything we could learn beyond ordering thier product) they have satified thier "obligation" to furnish education at the meetings.

Haven't seen a Ralph Drew, or the like in many decades. Haven't seen almost anyone give a course on frame adjustment and repair. Haven't seen them get anyone from a tool supplier (like Hilco and compeditors) explain what each tool is, how it's used or what it's for.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Acutually I understood Angryfish's post. She means that our optical associations do what the heirarchy wants with no polling or input from the membership directly. The few times they do ask it is at best a list of multiple choice questions.
    If the OAA and the CLSA would have a website set-up like this one where we could voice our grevances and state what we would like the organization to do. Then place polls based on member questions they might a lot more effective and certianly would be more respected and appreciated.

I have been to national meetings of both organizations where we had sales courses and good ole' boys passing around awards to each other and as far as the membership could tell this was all that was accomplished at meetings.

Many of the elected officials seem to feel that if they get an instructor furnished by a national company telling us about the latest coating or PAL (which few of us could comprehend or learn anything we could learn beyond ordering thier product) they have satified thier "obligation" to furnish education at the meetings.

Haven't seen a Ralph Drew, or the like in many decades. Haven't seen almost anyone give a course on frame adjustment and repair. Haven't seen them get anyone from a tool supplier (like Hilco and compeditors) explain what each tool is, how it's used or what it's for.

Chip
    I agree with a lot of what you said Chip. Some of them just want to go through the motions. We tried to get an organization going here with the point being licensesure for Opticians, We had gone as far as discussing reciprocity with Ohio and Kentucky and received favorable responses. But all we ended up doing was paying dues to someone in Parkersburg who did zero with our dues, so that fell through. The ODs and MDs did not seem to have a problem with it though, as in other states.

But in truth, you can actually get videos from Hilco that explain and demonstrate a fair amount of techniques.
    http://www.hilco.com/catalog/catalog...train_main.asp
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy Judy Judy

She speaks with the voice of a woman scorned.

I think it was pretty clear and obvious to anyone who has a shred of objectivity. The only way to be unclear is to have been so isolated that you did not work in the industry or were working for one of the organization being discussed.

Either way it make the point about the complacency, ignorance, and general lack of understanding about the condition and direction of our industry more clearly than anything I could state.

Many on this board know exactly who I am I don't hide behind anonymity. If any reasonable and thoughtful person what's to engage me simply email me.

I can't help thoughs with such a lack of creativity that they use their own name as a nick name. I see you have an avitar, I hate people who hide behind the image of something their not. But you do dance better than I can.

Older and Wiser? Not today Judy, not with that post.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Care to share that information?

BTW...avatar. Short on creativity? Not really, but usually pretty good with my spelling. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Spelling

Got me on that. Reading my posts is an endurance test in having to re-spell. I write most of them on my phone and don't have the advantage of a good spell check. I can spell words badly enough that spell check gives no options, then I have to work at mis-spelling the word, usually multiple times, until spell check recognizes it and offer an option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got me on that. Reading my posts is an endurance test in having to re-spell. I write most of them on my phone and don't have the advantage of a good spell check. I can spell words badly enough that spell check gives no options, then I have to work at mis-spelling the word, usually multiple times, until spell check recognizes it and offer an option.
    Well then, invest in GOOD dictionary. Inaccurate typing is one (1) thing, but failure/refusal to perfect one's vocabulary is quite another.
    End os Sermon.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Speak Softly

I don't have any problems with my vocabulary.

But I'd rather read something useful and instructive with the occasional mis-spelled word than correctly spelled nonsense.

But thanks for your input.

By the way what do you mean by "End os sermon"? Is there some connection to the Latin for left eye or did the man in the glass house just break his own window?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have any problems with my vocabulary.

But I'd rather read something useful and instructive with the occasional mis-spelled word than correctly spelled nonsense.

But thanks for your input.

By the way what do you mean by "End os sermon"? Is there some connection to the Latin for left eye or did the man in the glass house just break his own window?
    Neither... just to show that an incorrectly spelled 'os' instead of 'of' is of no real consequense.;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Road Not Traveled

Remember license and legislation is how O.D.'s became what they are today and how OMD's became what they are now. Many, many years ago I worked for a nice optician, Jim Dipprey. His job in the organisation was teaching and trouble shooting OMD's on contact lens fitting. He came in one day quite exasperated compliaining about the stupid questions he had to answer over and over. He exclaimed that if these people would just learn that a lens is either too damn flat or too dame big they would have contact lens fitting down pat.
    I asked: "Dip if they anger you so much why don't you go back to school and get your M.D.?"
    Jim replied: "I wouldn't lower myself."
    I didn't understand that when said it. Later I came to comprehend it fully.
    I might also mention that his view of O.D.'s was much lower but he did say that "some of them are better refractors, that's all they do."

Are we sure we want to license ourselves, promote legislation and follow down the road they took? Do we really want to become what they are?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Haven't seen a Ralph Drew, or the like in many decades.
    Sadly, I doubt you ever will again. I keep a copy of "Professional Ophthalmic Dispensing" on my nightstand. Stuff's better than Dickens.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wish I still had mine. I loaned it to a fellow LC manager years ago and that was the last I saw of it.

Thread Information