Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    Today our provincial powers-that-be implemented the latest tax on our downtrodden and already over taxed beings- the 'Carbon Tax'. It is an escalating tax increasing each July till 2012. Today in Greater Vancouver reports are pricing over $1.50/litre.
    That could almost make me want to take regular trips across the border.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    that we have a carbon tax or that our gas prices have gone up?

I like the idea of the carbon tax. Well, the one Dion has suggested. I am not familiar with the full intricities of Campbell's. I like the idea that my income tax will see a significant cut, and that people will then be discourage to over indulge on fossil fuels.

Occupation
    I don't see why. Gasoline at $1.50 per liter translates to $5.67 per U.S. gallon.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    I don't see why. Gasoline at $1.50 per liter translates to $5.67 per U.S. gallon.
    Just want to clarify something here, before people start jumping to conclusions. The carbon tax did not increase the Canadian price from around $4.00 a gallon to $5.67. Our gas was already more expensive than in the US. Right now, I pay, without a carbon tax the equivilant of $5.51 a gallon.

Just so we compare apples to apples and oranges to oranged.

Occupation
    Maybe I'll beat Harry on the math :p

1 gallon = 3.79 Litres

3.79x$1.50 = $5.69

current exchange rate is 1.02 CAD for 1.00 USD

so

$5.69 x 1.02 = $5.80 per Gallon in U.S. Dollars, not that kiss the queens booty currency they use in Canada

Happy 4th Everyone! Make sure you send some over the border :p

Occupation
    Prices went down to $3.829 for regular.

WOW !!

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I expect a nice big reduction in gas prices right before the election.

:cheers:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    I expect a nice big reduction in gas prices right before the election.

:cheers:
    Makes sense

Occupation
    I don't think that there will be a sharp reduction in fuel prices before the election.

I don't think that the administration has any "lower fuel price" buttons to push that it hasn't already pushed.

Occupation
    I don't think that the administration has any "lower fuel price" buttons to push that it hasn't already pushed.
    Nor does anyone else. The doctrine for our future energy needs was laid out nine years ago but no one in the government or press listened.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...04&postcount=6

Unfortunately, the cult of blind political name calling rather than science and engineering has won the day. I guess you can fool most of the people most of the time. Emotion rules over intellect.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Well I believe that McCain wont stand a chance if the voters will be paying over $4.00 a gallon when they drive to the polls on election day.

We will see soon.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Nor does anyone else. The doctrine for our future energy needs was laid out ....
    30 years ago:

"Beginning at this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 - never," he said. "From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation. The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now."

Mr. Carter also called for research into alternative fuels, massive investment in public transit and a broad campaign for conservation. He acknowledged that the new programs would require billions; but "unlike the billions of dollars that we ship to foreign countries to pay for foreign oil, these funds will be paid by Americans to Americans."

Of course, you know the rest of the story. The next year, Ronald Reagan was elected and threw out Mr. Carter's plans. The Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries relented, and gasoline became, once again, plentiful and cheap.
    What if the nation had stuck to the path Mr. Carter laid out? What if we had invested billions back then in public transit and alternative fuels? What if we'd made a national campaign of conservation, similar to the successful no-smoking campaign? What if we'd insisted that Detroit continue pushing up fuel efficiency?

The United States would not be held hostage by petro-crats or tied down in a volatile region of the globe. The money we send to places such as Saudi Arabia plumps the bank accounts of its many princes, who use their billions to appease jihadists. While Afghanistan's Taliban certainly played a role in 9/11, 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudis. Why send any of our money to them?

As recently as seven years ago, in the wake of 9/11, President George W. Bush could have used our renewed sense of duty and patriotism to hike the gasoline tax and push through higher CAFE standards. At the time, the average cost of a gallon of gas was around $1.55. If Mr. Bush had pushed the price to $2.50, the nation would have had a huge reserve to use for building public transit and finding alternative fuels. Instead, he did nothing about our addiction to oil.

Even now, Mr. Bush is loath to encourage conservation. "It's a little presumptuous on my part to dictate how consumers live their own lives," he told reporters last week. "You know, people can figure out whether they need to drive more or less." Wasn't it presumptuous to invade Iraq, a country that had no part in 9/11 but does have the world's second-largest known reserves of oil?

Looking back, Mr. Carter's plan makes a lot more sense than staying tied down in the Middle East. It's time to dust off his speech and several of his energy proposals.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Further, from here:

The first principle is that we can have an effective and comprehensive energy policy only if the government takes responsibility for it and if the people understand the seriousness of the challenge and are willing to make sacrifices.
    The second principle is that healthy economic growth must continue. Only by saving energy can we maintain our standard of living and keep our people at work. An effective conservation program will create hundreds of thousands of new jobs.
    The third principle is that we must protect the environment. Our energy problems have the same cause as our environmental problems -- wasteful use of resources. Conservation helps us solve both at once.
    The fourth principle is that we must reduce our vulnerability to potentially devastating embargoes. We can protect ourselves from uncertain supplies by reducing our demand for oil, making the most of our abundant resources such as coal, and developing a strategic petroleum reserve.
    The fifth principle is that we must be fair. Our solutions must ask equal sacrifices from every region, every class of people, every interest group. Industry will have to do its part to conserve, just as the consumers will. The energy producers deserve fair treatment, but we will not let the oil companies profiteer.
    The sixth principle, and the cornerstone of our policy, is to reduce the demand through conservation. Our emphasis on conservation is a clear difference between this plan and others which merely encouraged crash production efforts. Conservation is the quickest, cheapest, most practical source of energy. Conservation is the only way we can buy a barrel of oil for a few dollars. It costs about $13 to waste it.
    The seventh principle is that prices should generally reflect the true replacement costs of energy. We are only cheating ourselves if we make energy artificially cheap and use more than we can really afford.
    The eighth principle is that government policies must be predictable and certain. Both consumers and producers need policies they can count on so they can plan ahead. This is one reason I am working with the Congress to create a new Department of Energy, to replace more than 50 different agencies that now have some control over energy.
    The ninth principle is that we must conserve the fuels that are scarcest and make the most of those that are more plentiful. We can't continue to use oil and gas for 75 percent of our consumption when they make up seven percent of our domestic reserves. We need to shift to plentiful coal while taking care to protect the environment, and to apply stricter safety standards to nuclear energy.
    The tenth principle is that we must start now to develop the new, unconventional sources of energy we will rely on in the next century.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    I don't think that there will be a sharp reduction in fuel prices before the election.

But you do have to agree that it is in Dubbya's and Cheney's best interest that oil prices stay high upon their retirement from the White House.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    Well I believe that McCain wont stand a chance if the voters will be paying over $4.00 a gallon when they drive to the polls on election day.

We will see soon.

I paid $3.79 yesterday in Ohio.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Further, from here:

Ya poor Jimmy Carter takes a beating for that poor job he did on the Panama Canal turn over and the fiasco in Iran in 1979 but his ten points are good but the wrest of his presidency you might as well flush down the toilet.
    just my take

Occupation
    What is happening ??

Just looked and the price is down to $3.72

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is happening ??

Maybe people are driving less, so supply is up?
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is happening ??

They want you to think you are getting a bargain!

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For sure! Worst President in American history!

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Ya poor Jimmy Carter takes a beating for that poor job he did on the Panama Canal turn over and the fiasco in Iran in 1979 but his ten points are good but the wrest of his presidency you might as well flush down the toilet.
    just my take

Occupation
    An article in the Washington Post explains why high prices for gasoline and diesel are here to stay.

Who to blame? Singling out Bush and Cheney doesn't make much sense when the "culprit" is a cast of many thousand decision makers all around the world.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paid $3.74 in Clintwood, Va on Sunday, and $3.57 in Ashtabula, Ohio this morning.

Occupation
    At about 6:30 AM the price was down to $3.70, I just looked before writing this and the price had gone down to $3.67

Occupation
    At about 6:30 AM the price was down to $3.70, I just looked before writing this and the price had gone down to $3.67
    Now down to $3.64

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paid $3.37 yesterday in Niles, Ohio.

Thread Information