Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome indeed!

And all of you are making me jealous…

As for a CA visit, keep in mind there is a pretty big range in this state. Hard to refer to it as a unified whole when it is bigger than most nations. In the Sacramento area it’s $4.23, in San Francisco it’s around $5.00

In LA it’s around $4.50

California is a diverse land ;)
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Two words people....two words:

Vespa Baby!

Oh yeah!!!

:cheers::drop::cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    $4.29 this am - Scottsdale.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a volvo xc90,to fill it with diesil is £85.00 (around 160 dollars )
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $4.95 US/ gal. equiv. in Edmonton, AB, Canada today. A third of our price is tax... One year ago, regular was exactly $3.95.

"How much oil does Alberta's oil sands contain?
    A: The four major oil sands deposits in Alberta contain more than 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen. Using current technology this could potentially be turned into over 1 trillion barrels of synthetic crude oil, although much of the bitumen probably cannot be recovered at a reasonable cost (with current technology only 300 billion barrels are recoverable). The Athabasca Oil Sands is the largest of these oil sands deposits. It contains over one trillion barrels of bitumen on its own, although only about 300 billion barrels of bitumen can be recovered using current methods of mining. There are other large oil sands deposits in Canada as well, most notably a large deposit on Melville Island in the Canadian Arctic. It is Canada's next largest oil sands deposit after the Athabasca Oil Sands. It has the potential to produce about 500 million barrels of crude oil.
    By comparison, Alberta's conventional oil reserves are currently estimated at about 4.5 billion barrels of oil. Put another way, the Athabasca Oil Sands contain more oil than all the known reserves in Saudi Arabia. Clearly Alberta's oil sands hold the key to the long term production of oil and oil products in Alberta, and as time goes by more and more of Canada's oil needs will have to be met by Alberta's oil sands deposits."
    Shwing

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Price was down to $3.79 and then rose this AM to $3.99

I wish the Canucks would quit bragging about the oil sands. :finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Price was down to $3.79 and then rose this AM to $3.99

I wish the Canucks would quit bragging about the oil sands. :finger:

As of 6-13-2008 gas at these places were:

#1 Highest Price $5.30
    GROVELAND, CA

#2 Highest Price $5.16
    SPRING VALLEY, NY

Is $10 per gal that far off? For a real perspective on what is happening you should read an article at: :http://www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.ne...peculation.HTM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwing View Post
    $4.95 US/ gal. equiv. in Edmonton, AB, Canada today. A third of our price is tax... One year ago, regular was exactly $3.95.

"How much oil does Alberta's oil sands contain?
    A: The four major oil sands deposits in Alberta contain more than 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen. Using current technology this could potentially be turned into over 1 trillion barrels of synthetic crude oil, although much of the bitumen probably cannot be recovered at a reasonable cost (with current technology only 300 billion barrels are recoverable). The Athabasca Oil Sands is the largest of these oil sands deposits. It contains over one trillion barrels of bitumen on its own, although only about 300 billion barrels of bitumen can be recovered using current methods of mining. There are other large oil sands deposits in Canada as well, most notably a large deposit on Melville Island in the Canadian Arctic. It is Canada's next largest oil sands deposit after the Athabasca Oil Sands. It has the potential to produce about 500 million barrels of crude oil.
    By comparison, Alberta's conventional oil reserves are currently estimated at about 4.5 billion barrels of oil. Put another way, the Athabasca Oil Sands contain more oil than all the known reserves in Saudi Arabia. Clearly Alberta's oil sands hold the key to the long term production of oil and oil products in Alberta, and as time goes by more and more of Canada's oil needs will have to be met by Alberta's oil sands deposits."

They have a similar find in the US in the form of shale oil. If I remember the article correctly, it said oil would have to go to $60 or $70 per barrel to make it economically feasible. And where is oil right now? I believe it's at $133 per gal. But do you see anybody racing to North or South Dakota or Montana to get that shale oil? If you read the article in my last post the price of oil has nothing to do with not enough oil it has everything to do with refining it and what the oil barons want you to pay. Also when was the last oil refinery completed? From an article at corp watch it says it's been 29 years since the last oil refinery was made. What have the oil companies been doing for 29 years? http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12227 ;)
    Last edited by jediron1; 06-14-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We just added the attached hedge fund to our portfolio. The fund has a higher risk than we normally take on but it is a small percentage of our portfolio. So far, the energy sector has been very very good to us.

Lets see. We had the dot coms, the Enrons, and the housing. The next "bubble" to burst will be the energy bubble. I would be very nervous if I was holding any petroleum futures above $80.00.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rbaker; 06-16-2008 at 12:16 AM.

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Too bad we can't use chocolate as fuel

It's "only" $4.15 here in my part of Maryland. I thought that was outrageous. Too bad we can't figure out a a way to run a car on Hershey bars. Better yet, too bad we can't figure out a way to drill here in the good old US of A and still keep the environmentalists happy. :bbg::bbg::bbg:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineed Chocolate View Post
    It's "only" $4.15 here in my part of Maryland. I thought that was outrageous. Too bad we can't figure out a a way to run a car on Hershey bars. Better yet, too bad we can't figure out a way to drill here in the good old US of A and still keep the environmentalists happy. :bbg::bbg::bbg:
    Honestly, I do not believe that is the problem. I believe it is Oligopoly Collusion. You can produce a google more tonnes and there will still be no price difference.

Banned
    Occupation

Stop Worrying

There is nothing you can do to change gas prices. Just change your behaviour. Most of all, stop worrying.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    that right there pretty much sums it up

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep on trippin'!

We left on Saturday...

Ohio $3.99

Indianna $3.98 :o

Missouri $3.88

Western Mo. (Joplin) $3.69 :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    (and on a weekend no less!)

I'm changin my behavior as well... Now, I don't shop around for gas. Whatever it is when I need it, I buy it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We left on Saturday...

Ohio $3.99

Indianna $3.98 :o

Missouri $3.88

Western Mo. (Joplin) $3.69 :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    (and on a weekend no less!)

I'm changin my behavior as well... Now, I don't shop around for gas. Whatever it is when I need it, I buy it.
    Mexico $2.39

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yikes!

Economy
    Remote Calif. Town Toils with $6-a-Gallon Gasoline

by David Gorn
    Listen Now [3 min 37 sec] add to playlist

Morning Edition, June 17, 2008 · The town of Gorda, Calif., is becoming famous for its $6-a-gallon gasoline — and that's for regular. One reason for the price may be the town's remoteness
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And when they use that exempt status and then *illegally* actively campaign and endorse in political activities, they are breaching their “religious rights” civil contract with the government.

I know my language there is all twisted around and poorly worded. I apologize. I drove about 1300 miles this weekend and didn’t get much sleep. I’m a bit discombobulated.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aren't high gas prices and food prices (along with everything else, it seems) what we get in a capitalist economic system? When a free market prevails, how can we unhypocritically (if that's a real word) expect the government, or anybody else, to intervene?
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

I saw it coming

Back when Bush was running was running for office the first time I chimed into a thread here stating it was a bad idea to have former oil people running the country. Sorry folks but I warned you. If anyone thinks that the Bush's friends in the oil industry who donated so much money to his campaign are not happy about what he has done in the middle east, and I am talking about Iraq of course, you need to wake up. If you have war in the middle east the cost of oil will be high. If you start talking about attacking Iran the price of oil will go up. If you think his friends are not making a killing right now you are crazy. If you still think Bush is doing a good job ask yourself for who. Bin Laden is this running free. The Taliban is still a problem. More of our soldiers are being killed for what? Iraq had nothing to do with 911 and that is a fact. The rest of the world feels that Bush is the biggest threat to peace in the world. Is the rest of the world wrong? I did not vote for Bush Sr. but at least he was smart enough to listen to his advisors who told him that if you topple the gov in Iraq it will be a big problem. One of the advisors was who...? Cheney. Funny how he changed his mind once he became and oil exec.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier SmartCar here we come...

(Rant mode: ON) We have a test drive scheduled for this Monday at a SmartCar dealership. Hubby has decided we are going to buy one and we'll probably do the deal on Monday. Unfortunately, taking one for a test spin is a moot point- I KNOW I'm going to hate it, so why inflict agony by driving one before I absolutely have to. I'm shocked at the arrogance of the sales staff at these outlets- there is NO entertaining the idea of a price concession. The 4 to 6 week wait for one is apparently proof enuf they don't HAVE to entice buyers (their attitude, not my thoughts) with deals. Their reply when I said the freight and PDI seemed too steep and I wasn't eager to pay the full shot? "Well, Mrs. K, I guess you really DON"T want to drive a Smart then, do you?". This was after my query on what their best price at that particular dealership is: exactly the same as it was at the only other two dealerships . I REALLY dislike a question being answered after a sigh and a long silence. (Rant mode: OFF)

I am, however, going to make a detour to a Toyota dealership to try out a Yaris. I'd sure rather have something more behind my head than the guy behind me's front grille!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Top Gear did a little expose on the Prius. It’s not a very green car since all of the fuel that is used to ship its parts back and forth, not to mention the chemicals involved in manufacturing.

And besides, a PZEV (like my wife’s VW Rabbit) has less emissions than the Prius.
    www.opticaljedi.com

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Prices in Rockville, MD

Latest fill-up for me in Rockville, MD was @ too **!!X**!^ much ($4.29):angry:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Top Gear did a little expose on the [Toyota] Prius. It’s not a very green car since all of the fuel that is used to ship its parts back and forth, not to mention the chemicals involved in manufacturing. And besides, a PZEV (like my wife’s VW Rabbit) has less emissions than the Prius.
    It's a well known "fact" that choosing to drive a Hummer is "more green" than choosing to drive a Toyota Prius.. or is it?

Beware of urban myths.

Here's what Toyota had to say about that comparison:
    http://www.toyota.com/html/dyncon/20...mervprius.html

I suspect that the Toyota Prius is definitely in the "green" category as far as the general run of most of the passenger vehicles that are operated on U.S. roads.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    prices here are stable for Reg. $3.92, but going down for deisel $4.25

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Update on my SmartCar test drive...

Today our provincial powers-that-be implemented the latest tax on our downtrodden and already over taxed beings- the 'Carbon Tax'. It is an escalating tax increasing each July till 2012. Today in Greater Vancouver reports are pricing over $1.50/litre.

Thread Information