Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223

Thread: COT's refracting and charging???

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Over the past three decades I've hire optometry students to work for me. Be it lab or dispensing. To the man, (and ladies) each one has told me how much more they learned from me than at college. Just curious, whom taught you your few hours in opticianry? Maybe...an optician?

Maybe I need to rethink whom I'm teaching.....

What he asked was who taught you optical skills as an optician not who taught ophthalmic optics. Ophthalmic optics when I was in school was a physics course 2 semesters long which included thick lens theory along with the complex systems for setting up of microscopes and the gauss system for telescopes and much more. But what did you learn to be competent in the optical side or another words how did you learn to dispense glasses.
    Hire 'em, your getting the shaft bro. We bring them on as interns. After their first year they need to do 160 hours, 120 ophthalmic dispensing, and 40 clinical. Our office gets a few especially since we have an in store lab and various equipment than many offices don't have it gives us the edge in getting the interns. Many just don't like the ophthalmic optics part, I have a student now who is very competent, but her focus is medical and that's great this new bread of OD is goind to soon replace the OD of yesteryear and before you know it they will be done with optics.

I think also that IndianaOD was refering to Brooks, all the doctors that I have worked with that were taught by him alwasy had respect for opticians and I would dare any of the so called doctros that learned under him to mention their disdain for opticians. Most that have worked under him have takne the same ophthalmic optics course that he teaches opticians in the same school. I have heard from all the doctors that have had his courses that he is very strict, but a great teacher. A while back I contacted the school for a book that is OOP that he wrote and was sellign for crazy dollars on all the internet sites. After a breaif chat with him he had a copy printed and spiral bound sent to me and it cost me next to nothing. Great man great doctor, a very respectable person.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 06-09-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Hire 'em, your getting the shaft bro. We bring them on as interns. After their first year they need to do 160 hours, 120 ophthalmic dispensing, and 40 clinical. Our office gets a few especially since we have an in store lab and various equipment than many offices don't have it gives us the edge in getting the interns. Many just don't like the ophthalmic optics part, I have a student now who is very competent, but her focus is medical and that's great this new bread of OD is goind to soon replace the OD of yesteryear and before you know it they will be done with optics.

I think also that IndianaOD was refering to Brooks, all the doctors that I have worked with that were taught by him alwasy had respect for opticians and I would dare any of the so called doctros that learned under him to mention their disdain for opticians. Most that have worked under him have takne the same ophthalmic optics course that he teaches opticians in the same school. I have heard from all the doctors that have had his courses that he is very strict, but a great teacher. A while back I contacted the school for a book that is OOP that he wrote and was sellign for crazy dollars on all the internet sites. After a breaif chat with him he had a copy printed and spiral bound sent to me and it cost me next to nothing. Great man great doctor, a very respectable person.

Good points. I m a little older but I believe I have heard of Brooks the ones I m more familiar with are Russel Stimson, Ralph Drew icons of the optical world. One thing Russell Stimson knew was his optics even wrote a book on it which I did have until we had a flood and it got damaged.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread is closed.

If any of you have a mind to, you could restart this under a different title- It will be allowed to stand as long as posting guidelines are kept in mind (and in posts).
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information