Thread: Good air compressor for lab / Ultra Optics coater?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Good air compressor for lab / Ultra Optics coater?

We've been running our lab off a smaller pancake-style air compressor capable of a whopping 2.2 SCFM at 90 PSI or 3.5 SCFM at 40 PSI.

The manual for the Ultra Optics coater we're getting soon says it needs something like 7 to 8 CFM.

While our small air compressor does great for the generator chuck, the tape machine and the finer/polisher, it won't keep up with the new coater.

So what's a good new air compressor to get that will keep up? Any recommendations would be great.
    -Steve

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Might want to check with Menards, that's where I got mine.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It just seems that most compressors put out about 5-6 CFM at 90 PSI. I guess there's a 60 gallon compressor at Home Depot that puts out 10.2 CFM or more:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90298+524403

Was hoping for something smaller, but I want the coater to work perfectly.
    -Steve

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Dont skimp on your air:D

The big ones last forever with little normal maintainance. Well worth the money.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i really don't think you're going to need anything that big. check out the jun-air 2000-40PD2. i've got this in my lab and everything can be going at once and it never comes close to struggling. that's an eclipse, an sgx, finner and polisher, coater, and any other small things like the deblocker, and i never think twice about grabbing the hose i've got setup for blowing things off, no matter what's already running. clean dry air with little maintenance.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Noise

I assume this is locate in a location that you also have retail customers so you need to watch the noise level. The Jun-air type are more expensive per CFM but are very quiet. Don't try to go too small. The Ultra Optics does need the air volume, the water pump is air driven. The air needed to lift the lens is minimal but driving the water pump consumes alot of air.

Occupation
    if you're really worried about volume of air, maybe look at the 4000 line, but they are HUGE! that's the one we got when the lab was initially installed and it would only fit in a back room and we had to run air lines across the floor while the smaller one was being shipped.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just want the machine to run optimally. For the small pancake style compressor we've used up until now, I built a cabinet with a pile of insulation. Most people can't ever tell that the thing even turns on now. I guess I could do something similar with this big dog.
    -Steve

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    It just seems that most compressors put out about 5-6 CFM at 90 PSI. I guess there's a 60 gallon compressor at Home Depot that puts out 10.2 CFM or more:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90298+524403

Was hoping for something smaller, but I want the coater to work perfectly.
    That'll be the MINIMUM you'll need.....I've got the same set up as you and that's exactly what I had to get.
    10 SCFM Minimum!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You might be able to get by with one from Home Depot or Lowe's but be sure to get one with a large enough tank, say a 10 gallon tank. That way, it won't need to run as often. We have one that we installed under a table and built removeable walls made of two layers of insulation so you can tell it's running, but it's not overly loud.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    if you put it in an enclosure be sure to provide some kind of ventilation so it doesn't over heat

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get the extended warranty please!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    These are all great tips.

I went to look at that big 60 gallon 220 volt thing today and it's huge! It's going in a larger storage closet, so I'll probably just insulate the top of the drop ceiling, all 4 walls and the inside of the door (if I have to do the door).

Maybe I can even put it on a timer so it does it's initial run-up around 7:00 AM when nobody is around.
    -Steve

Occupation
    you know what works better than regular insulation is that egg crate style foam. the more pronounced the peaks and valleys, the better.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Be careful about putting a compressor in a hot, humid room. As the air cools, water will condense in the air lines, potentially causing operational problems. I've seen plenty of small labs that put the comressor in the bathroom, which is problematic on so many levels.

You may need an in-line dryer to ensure that the air is clean and dry.
    RT

Occupation
    unless you're in arizona, you do need an in-line air dryer. you should have one on the compressor and an other one on each machine for good measure. the condensation isn't caused by the air cooling. it happens because the air is compressed. vapor under pressure condenses at a higher temperature. once it's condensed, it's in the lines and as air is bled out of the line the liquid water in the line is blown out into your machines. the higher the humidity the worse, but it'll still happen in a regular air conditioned room. also, water will accumulate in the tank. this effectively decreases the capacity of the tank and can be a corrosion (and as a result of corrosion, eventually an explosion) hazard, so be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions to get it out.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Couple of thoughts:

1) keep it in an open area so it can be serviced - the compressor head and motor need to be kept cool by air flow. The compressor head itself uses oil like a gasoline engine does and that oil needs to be changed from time to time, as well as topped off. The belts over time wear out. The tank will accumulate water and needs to be drained, especially in humid areas.

2) install a shut off valve on the outgoing air line right at the tank. Costs about $20 bucks (including piping and thread sealer) from your local hardware store. Don't turn the compressor off, just close the air line valve at the end of the day.

3) be sure the compressor is on its own circuit breaker.

4) you can use heavy wall plastic line to run your lines from the compressor tank to point of use, and use push to disconnect T fittings. These are available at any air/hydraulics store. Use standard air compressor tool disconnects to connect to your machinery.

5) install lubricators/filters/regulators at each machine, and be sure to drain the filter daily and check the oil level on the lubricator at least once per week. If a regulator starts to bypass and/or leak, replace it immediately to keep wear and tear on the compressor to a minimum.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee joe View Post
    if you put it in an enclosure be sure to provide some kind of ventilation so it doesn't over heat
    And that enclosure, if properly done, can be installed on the roof. No noise that way, at least for you.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    And that enclosure, if properly done, can be installed on the roof. No noise that way, at least for you.
    And any time you have to service the compressor you have to climb up on the roof.

In the middle of a rainstorm?
    In the middle of a blizzard?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We have a flat roof, and its a great excuse to get out of the office. No phones on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    And any time you have to service the compressor you have to climb up on the roof.
    In the middle of a rainstorm?
    In the middle of a blizzard?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Amazing compressor and quiet (very quiet) for a retail environment.

http://www.jun-air.com/product_detai...oductTypeID=50
    Last edited by braheem24; 01-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Amazing compressor and quiet (very quiet) for a retail environment.

http://www.jun-air.com/product_detai...oductTypeID=50
    Jun Air are amazingly quiet but pricey!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Seems like an old post so assuming you found an Air Compressor. This is what we run.. 2 stage 80 gallon 16 scfm @ 90 with an 80/20 duty cycle. When we first installed our MR III, quickly realized the coater can really tax smaller units. As you know, the coater requires air to create suction, table movement and air dry. When running in 2 lens mode, the amount of air required is substantial. On the smaller air comp unit, PSI would drop below 80 and coater would have issues..lenses falling off and pits from not properly drying. Also the rest of the lab would have issues..unable to dechuck from Sl-2, edger chucking pressure low, etc. Line dryer is recommended along with good filtration from any discharge from Air Compressor. We can run the MR III in production mode with no issues.

Thread Information