Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $20hr????

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

$20hr????

After getting your degree in Opticianry and after getting ABO's and NCLE's, Can I make $20hr? Of course experience will make of more pay but how can I get to the $20hr level?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on where you are, depends on who's looking, and how badly they need someone. I don't know too much about the wages in the states, but $20 seems high for someone right out of school.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Location Location Location

Ive seen $22 right out of school. Ive also seen $14
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way things are going, I'd say that you would be lucky to see $8-9 an hour.

Damn shame really.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Damn shame really. .................................

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The way things are going, I'd say that you would be lucky to see $8-9 an hour.

New minimum wage in Quebec Canada as of May first 2008, a few days ago is now ...........$ 8.50, :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fresh out of school, I made $23hour (working for a large retail chain) I make even more than that now, though!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Inflated wage$$

Don't beleive all you hear from the schools, especially in the states, I thaught about leaving the profession a while back, First time, I went to Medical Assisting school back in 96 they said $20.000 yearly, WRONG,!!! Most I was offered was $8.50 Hrly, I stayed in Optical making at that time $8.00 Hrly, plus commision. on average $12.00 Hrly, then in 2002,, Coding and billing school They told us $40,000 annually out of school, I worked for a while for a county Hospital $11.00 Hrly. Went back into optical for $14.00 starting, granted getting Certified in 2003 helped me a little, after 25 Yrs, I still don't make $20.00 Hrly close but no cigar... The Thing is most of us are in this feild because we love what we do, No there isn't much to be made in most Locations of the states, but you can take these skills and work anywhere, and get the satisfaction that you are helping People, and are in a Profession that hopefully one day will raise up to be what it used be if enough good people stay in it. I sure hate to burst your bubble, but better you know the truth.. I live in texas, certification is voluntary and no licensing yet, hopefully one day, I'll be the first in line..

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With a degree, with the right attitude(key), volunteering to work nights and weekends, with the proper lab and sales skills (unlikely, right out of school), yeah, it's possible.

It is especially helpful if you're not in an area where Lux hasn't closed a bunch of Pearles and Sears. In my area, between Pearle, Sears, and EB Brown, there have been more than 175 optician jobs lost. That will drive down wages in a hurry, when many opticians going for the same jobs.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Continued...

...not that the degree holds that much water on the job, but hopefully, it shows that you've got the basic optical theories down. And I;m assuming you're in a licensed state, and you passed the test already. That is much more important than the degree. In lieu of the license, I'd want to see the ABO and NCLE passed for $20 an hour.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on whate state you will be working in, for the most part. I have been in management for 30 years, the last 23 in West Virginia, and I still don't make $20 an hour, and I am the highest paid optician that I know of in this state. Because it is an unlicensed state, even though I have had an ABO license for 15 years, they can keep the wages down because of that. I will second the person who said we old timers stay in for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the job, not the money.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is possible to make above average money as an optician. If you deliver exceptional patient care as well as drive revenue you can and should earn an above average income. Especially when the practice owner knows that they are better off having you working for them then at the practice around the corner. Be willing to cross train and work in any area of the practice and you make yourself even more valuable.
    I know many people who make $20.00 or more as an optician. Even without management responsibilities or being in a licensed state.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post

That's right. I've seen places where you can live better on $14 than you can in another place at $22

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I live in Va. Its a licensed state as you know and for the areas of the state I've been to and talk to different optician I always hear "the moneys good". Now I dont know whats good for them but thats all I've been hearing. A few people have even said they wanted to change careers but the money was too good to pass up. These's were mostly in retail.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you in Virginia? It's a licensed state and depending on where in Va you are located you can start around $18.50, if you are closer to the DC area you can get in the low 20's to start. Good Luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the dreaded big box costco, they start you at 11.50 as an apprentice, first timer rookie. As soon as you get your ABO you bump up on the payscale to $20 an hour after a certain number of hours with the company. In an unlicensed state, you get 21.xx per hour with your ABO and NCLE if you're in optical. Thats better than the pharmacy techs!! Not too shabby. If you're in management for them, you can get 59,000 per year starting wages. (roughly 30 an hour.) Thats unlicensed states. States like nevada, you get in upwards of 31.50 an hour at the top of their scale for licensed opticians.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for everyones advice, options and knowledge. I guess I want to know more about Va's opticians salary......thats going to be my next thread.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    With a degree, with the right attitude(key), volunteering to work nights and weekends, with the proper lab and sales skills (unlikely, right out of school), yeah, it's possible.

It is especially helpful if you're not in an area where Lux hasn't closed a bunch of Pearles and Sears. In my area, between Pearle, Sears, and EB Brown, there have been more than 175 optician jobs lost. That will drive down wages in a hurry, when many opticians going for the same jobs.
    Having said it's possible Brother Johns have you ever paid this to any of your new hires.

Also Student Optician needs to be aware that that wage is going to be in a very high cost of living area. With gas prices where they are how far you commute must be considered.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post

I agree. I know in parts of NY where they need a license bad I have heard $25 & $26. Norm though is roughly $14 to 18. Now thats NY I m not sure about Virginia.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Where did you hear this? I checked with my friends at Sears and Pearl and no-body knows what your talking about. Now they did tell me there have been a lot of rumors floating around but as far as they know they are not true. So your saying that they have closed roughly 85 to 100 stores? Funny how closing that many never made the paper. I got to 85 to 100 stores by figuring that most stores have 2 people and some stores have only 1 person so averaging it out roughly 85 to 100 stores would have to be closed.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentOptician View Post
    After getting your degree in Opticianry and after getting ABO's and NCLE's, Can I make $20hr? Of course experience will make of more pay but how can I get to the $20hr level?
    Prove that you are worth it to the employers bottom line and you can make much more.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Prove that you are worth it to the employers bottom line and you can make much more.

Not by a rats behind. I worked for an owner for 7 years and the business grew between 5 to 8% per year after 7 years let me go for cheaper help. I worked for another DOC for 3 and half years where in my final year we were growing at 10 to 15%. Let me go. Strange thing is the person they hired to take my place they let go after a year because they were stealing. It took them another two years before they settled on someone to replace me because he said I was making to much according to what his friends were paying their opticians. Go figure!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Illegal, Ref; Circut City,

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Not by a rats behind. I worked for an owner for 7 years and the business grew between 5 to 8% per year after 7 years let me go for cheaper help. I worked for another DOC for 3 and half years where in my final year we were growing at 10 to 15%. Let me go. Strange thing is the person they hired to take my place they let go after a year because they were stealing. It took them another two years before they settled on someone to replace me because he said I was making to much according to what his friends were paying their opticians. Go figure!

That is so Illegal especially if they told you up front this is why we are letting you go, these Doc's need to realize that even though you may live in a right to work state, Some things are agianst the Labor Laws set by Congress, Letting someone go and hire in someone else for cheaper esp. after years of loyal service is one of them. Circut City last year had to pay out Millions in fines and restitution to former employee's for doing just that.

Older hard working employee's that put in years of service where fired for more younger employee's at a cheaper rate of pay. Alot of people sounded out about boycotting them, and guess what, they just filed bankrupsey, Ha!! that'el Teach them!!!. I hope you are happy and will have long jevity at your current Position.

Ginny:)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    It depends on whate state you will be working in, for the most part. I have been in management for 30 years, the last 23 in West Virginia, and I still don't make $20 an hour, and I am the highest paid optician that I know of in this state. Because it is an unlicensed state, even though I have had an ABO license for 15 years, they can keep the wages down because of that. I will second the person who said we old timers stay in for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the job, not the money.
    Well, MEB, now you know one in WV that makes more than $20/hr - me!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actaully worded it that way to see if you would chime in and make that much. The problem is, you live so far from where I do, the amount of difference you get, as opposed to me may be explianed off because of geographical differences.
    However, I can concur with what Jedi said about what the docs pay, according to what the other docs that are his friends in the area. We have been told that at office meetings.
    BTW, congrats Dragon, on getting paid what you are worth, at least I hope you feel that way.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    I actaully worded it that way to see if you would chime in and make that much. The problem is, you live so far from where I do, the amount of difference you get, as opposed to me may be explianed off because of geographical differences.
    However, I can concur with what Jedi said about what the docs pay, according to what the other docs that are his friends in the area. We have been told that at office meetings.
    BTW, congrats Dragon, on getting paid what you are worth, at least I hope you feel that way.
    Yeah, we can't get much farther away from each other and still be in the same state.:D
    But I have been at this same place now for about 28 years. We have a nice Doc, but he's getting old.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information