Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $20hr????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    good for you, my friend. I have been with the same doc for the last 23 years.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Not by a rats behind. I worked for an owner for 7 years and the business grew between 5 to 8% per year after 7 years let me go for cheaper help. I worked for another DOC for 3 and half years where in my final year we were growing at 10 to 15%. Let me go. Strange thing is the person they hired to take my place they let go after a year because they were stealing. It took them another two years before they settled on someone to replace me because he said I was making to much according to what his friends were paying their opticians. Go figure!
    You were let go by these employers because they didn't see a financial benefit to keeping you on. Thanks for proving my point for me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    You were let go by these employers because they didn't see a financial benefit to keeping you on. Thanks for proving my point for me!

No their exact words were your making too much money we can do it with a cheaper optician. In the end it cost them 3 years trying to find an optician that was worth what I was worth.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

$25 per hr

When I first started 24 years ago my salry was $15 per hr, however spifs amounted to approx $400 per week. So I averaged $25 per hr. Good Luck.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapper98 View Post
    When I first started 24 years ago my salry was $15 per hr, however spifs amounted to approx $400 per week. So I averaged $25 per hr. Good Luck.

When I first started I was making $50 a week and walking to work.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Really! WOW

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Now that I think about it..

This is kind of a typical young persons attitute. I went to school I want to start at a journeyman's postion. Doesn't my going to school qualify me although I have no experice, I'm sure I can do it because I have seen other people do it and I have a piece of paper. Odd as it may seem the latest graduate from Harvard Law probably isn't qualified to clean F. Lee Bailey's boots.
    While you many not have to start sweeping up the place you must establish yourself in the field which only comes with experience. Then if your edcuation shows that you can do the job with a little hands own time you may be qualifed for at least middle level pay levels.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wages

23 years with the same doc for me, not that much difference, lol

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, indeed. If you were making 25$ per hour in 1984 you were likely making more than most optometrists.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    $21 an hour
    Last edited by Wes; 06-23-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentOptician View Post
    After getting your degree in Opticianry and after getting ABO's and NCLE's, Can I make $20hr? Of course experience will make of more pay but how can I get to the $20hr level?
    Eventually even in an unliscensed state. But only if you are willing to work hard, play fair, keep your nose clean, and keep your skills honed. You also have to be what is sometimes called a "people person". You have to be able to work with all types of humanity in your work environment and that means patients, co-workers and over lords. You also have to be patient and looking for 20.00 right out of the chute is not likely unless you get lucky.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Student:

Despite the tales of dread on this board, the ABO and the NCLE are nothnng that a bright person couldn't take a week off reading an pass.
    They do not certify you to do brain surgery.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $24 here in Jersey is about average for someone newly licensed.

Thread Information