Thread: Edger malfunction

Bad address email on file
    At the place where I work, we use a Santinelli LE-7070 edger. Normally this edger does quite good work. But in the short time I have worked there (since June 2), the edger has on two occasions malfunctioned.

The result was that two lenses were edged in such as way that, though apparently correctly sized, the bevels were not formed, and hence the lenses were unusable.

The machine was apparently setup correctly both times. In both cases, the prior and subsequent lenses were correctly edged.

This capricious behavior is a real mystery to me. Has anyone else had this type of experience with the Santinelli (or other) edger? Can you shed any light on the behavior?

Thanks,

Kurt

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hello Kurt.
    I don't know anything about Santinelli equipment, but I'am familiar with nany other types, the problem may be in the balancing which will move the lens to a different spot on the wheel and create an almost flat bevel. That's just a guess but I'm sure one of the other Optiboarders know more about your particular edger. Good Luck, Rich R

OptiBoard Novice
    That's a good one. As far as balancing is concerned you don't have to woory about that on this machine. I worked for four years on the 7070pc and had no trouble due to balancing. as far as I know it is not a machine that requires balancing. I would check the parameters in the menu file first to be sure that the size numbers haven't changed. If these two incidents are the only times this has happened you may be having a voltage problem or one of the mutipin conectors may be loose.

First, open the back of the machine and double check all of the ribbon connectors to make sure they are tight. You may also want to remove the topcover of the machine so that you can check the connections for the lens tracing system too. Well, if you go that far you might as well clean the thing out too. Trust me , it can't hurt. If you do clean it out DON"T do it by blowing the dust out with compressed air! VACUME it out. Yeh, it takes longer but you won't send dust into the sensors of the machine. You may want to remove the little plastic cover that goes over the lens tracing arm as well. It always get glogged full of dirt, especialy if you are cutting a lot of poly.

If this doesn't solve the problem you may want to call Santinelli's help desk. Thier number is 800-644-edge if I am not mistaken. No I don't work for them, just had one of their machines for a while. Good luck.
    Studio

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

We had a Santinelli that had that problem very rarely. We asked the tech who worked on our machine and he said since we didn't have a dedicated power source for this machine that he BELIEVED (guess here!) that it was due to power surges on the line we were sharing. They weren't substantial enough to cause major damage just occassional glitches. It would happen on 1-2 jobs not necessarily both lenses and then not happen again.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

YES! I know exactly what you are talking about! (I bet you are glad to hear that) Our does crazy things like that very frequently. Sometimes has been known to cut right for left and left for right. No bevel when there is supposed to be one. Sized too big sized too small(and I know I haven't done a thing!!) It has chewed up the lens like you have cut poly on plastic only you KNOW it on poly. I can go on....
    I really have no answer to tell you what to do since it baffles us too.
    Steph

Thread Information