Thread: Is it within the law?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is it within the law?

Had a patient come in for a pair of OTC readers. I showed him our stock. He declined and asked me to make him up a pair.

He wanted a designer reader of his chosing. I told him that I couldn't technically "fill" it without a doctors RX.

He asked me why since he could buy a ready made one off the shelf. He has a point.

What to do? Can I make the reader for him?
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Since the manufacture and sale of reading glasses falls outside of the present "O" laws in all states why not just become a manufacturer and seller of OTC reading glasses. This is a good example of a "loophole" in the law - and loopholes are there to be taken advantage of. We used to glaze up our own "dogs" with +2.50 spheres and sell them OTC. How the heck do you think we got rid of all those 58MM glass spheres.

So crank away. You end up with a happy customer and a few more rupees in your pot.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.tob.state.tx.us/TOBCode.htm#SEC002
    (6) "Practice of optometry" means using objective or subjective means, with or without the use of topical ocular pharmaceutical agents, to:
    (A) determine or measure the powers of vision of the human eye as provided by Section 351.355;
    (B) examine or diagnose visual defects, abnormal conditions, or diseases of the human eye or adnexa; or
    (C) prescribe or fit lenses or prisms to correct or remedy a defect or abnormal condition of vision as provided by Section 351.356.
    http://www.tob.state.tx.us/TOBCode.htm#SEC002

So no you can't make it for him specifically, but if you were to fabricate the pair for stock and he was to purchase it later it would technically fall within the rules, go figure.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Since the manufacture and sale of reading glasses falls outside of the present "O" laws in all states why not just become a manufacturer and seller of OTC reading glasses. This is a good example of a "loophole" in the law - and loopholes are there to be taken advantage of. We used to glaze up our own "dogs" with +2.50 spheres and sell them OTC. How the heck do you think we got rid of all those 58MM glass spheres.

So crank away. You end up with a happy customer and a few more rupees in your pot.
    Didn't see your post, that's about the gist of it.:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Another "loophole" is the expression "at retail" which is found in most state statutes pertaining to opticianry. If you are a "wholesaler" you can fabricate and deliver eyewear with no regard to Rx date or anything beyond an order form. The occupational eyewear business has operated under this loophole for years and will be the first to come forward with mucho wampum to preserve the status quo.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's it, I'm going into the reading glass business, but with a twist.

I'll put an autorefractor in my waiting room, with self service instructions (bring a friend to help).

Let the "shoppers" refract themselves.

Then, they can come into my "OTC Shop", armed w/ the info on the autorefractor slip (they did it not me).

They can then select from a wide selection of glasses from +.50 up to +6.00. But wait! There's more!

Some people need to read beyond arms length, so we'll back off on the plus a bit. Some my need to read 4 ft. past their arms, some might want to read (road signs) 40 ft. past their arms. For those lucky people, they can pick from myh selection of "Ready 4 The Road Readers". From -.25 to -10.00. Have an astigmatism? Whoa, that's a real Rx, we can't do that. But the easy readers, no problem.

It'll be just like online, only we'll shake your hand, and you won't need to get an exam. (Who gets an exam for "readers" anyway?)

We can't discriminate against people that have the need to read at longer distances than others, can we?

Is $15 too much? I don't want to charge too much. After all they're just OTC readers.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd make it free with purchase to make it real attractive!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just Imagine the possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    That's it, I'm going into the reading glass business, but with a twist.

I'll put an autorefractor in my waiting room, with self service instructions (bring a friend to help).

Let the "shoppers" refract themselves.

Then, they can come into my "OTC Shop", armed w/ the info on the autorefractor slip (they did it not me).

They can then select from a wide selection of glasses from +.50 up to +6.00. But wait! There's more!

Some people need to read beyond arms length, so we'll back off on the plus a bit. Some my need to read 4 ft. past their arms, some might want to read (road signs) 40 ft. past their arms. For those lucky people, they can pick from myh selection of "Ready 4 The Road Readers". From -.25 to -10.00. Have an astigmatism? Whoa, that's a real Rx, we can't do that. But the easy readers, no problem.

It'll be just like online, only we'll shake your hand, and you won't need to get an exam. (Who gets an exam for "readers" anyway?)

We can't discriminate against people that have the need to read at longer distances than others, can we?

Is $15 too much? I don't want to charge too much. After all they're just OTC readers.
    Ha,Ha,Ha,hahah,:D:D You are very funny, and probably a little scary,
    my kind of person,

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Didn't some company or other market customizable readers, where you bought empty frames and a drawer full of pre-edged lenses of varying power? As I recall, you just picked the closest sphere to the patient's refraction(eg. +2.00 OD and +2.75 OS) and hence could somewhat balance their OTC readers.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Didn't some company or other market customizable readers, where you bought empty frames and a drawer full of pre-edged lenses of varying power? As I recall, you just picked the closest sphere to the patient's refraction(eg. +2.00 OD and +2.75 OS) and hence could somewhat balance their OTC readers.

Hilco used to have modular ones where you could snap in a different power in each eye, but I got my new catalog and don't see them.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Vera Bradley OTC's coem with different power lenses.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2Clear Custom Readers; we carry them. 3 styles of frames, 3 colors for each -- small rectangle, large rectangle, oval. Spherical pre-edged lenses come in a big box, powers from plano up to +4.00. I'll post information about our source in the professional forum.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Florida law allows duplication. Have him buy a pair, then duplicate the Rx, then allow the return of the OTC's.

Thread Information