Thread: Patternless Edgers

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Patternless Edgers

Delete this thread.
    Last edited by Metronome; 07-14-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Delete this thread.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it all depends on the reasons why you want to upgrade to paternless. May be you better off with the newer model of manual edger if they still exist!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wouldn't go back to manual. I do miss using the handstone though. Patternless edgers are easy and efficient. They are not "set it and forget it" in my opinion. It is a machine and therefore subject to error. The one I use now is off a bit so I still need to cut down slightly and frames differ also. It's not completely mindless but close.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would prefer not to go back to manual. Patternless aren't consistently one cuts. Some frames do vary. Like we have some titanium frames that we always have to size down.

The time savings is fantastic! Rarely is there a log jam of job waiting to be cut. Ours does the safety bevel but we prefer to do it ourselves and so we won't get rid of our handstone.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    one shot sizing is a myth. certain thing's like grooved are very predictable and will come out on the first cut consistently, but like you said, there are too many factors that effect fit. i keep mine calibrated just barely on the side of too big and step it down from there. i can usually get my sizing done in the machine but my hand stone isn't gathering any dust. there are just some things that need a human touch.

as far as the transition goes, that's something that will vary allot for each individual. i've taught old-schoolers basic operation, but i've had trouble getting into advanced operation with some of them. you're posting here, so we can assume you've got some computer skills, and that will be a plus for you. i'd see if you can set-up a trial lease and see if you like it. and if not, i know folks still using the pattern edgers with great success. just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's the only way to go.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been a optician fo 35 years although I am still young. I started when we were still cripping lenses and a ceramic stone. I have been using a patterenless since the mid 80's and the machine of today cannot compare to 1st generation-- I just purchaced a machine that does it all dill and custom shapes. The technology allows me to offer my patients many different options. Don't be afraid of technology embrace it you will all the better for it. I would look at machines from Brio or Santinelli both very good Brio has a slightly better camera on their blocker for reproducing rimless lenses. The most important thing to look at is SERVICE you can have the best machine and if the service is poor why then you have a bad machine. I would also not purchase on price alone call brio or santinelli and get a trial run and the decide wuich works best for you

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I resisted patternless for many years. In the mid 90s I edged on my first patternless edger. It was an old essilor and it was not perfect. I was never really a big fan of patternless until the late 90s when the technology started getting really good. I used gerber professional and Triumph edgers. They were very accurate. In 2002 I got my first Santinelli 7070 model and that was the clincher for me. I have embraced the technology and am a big fan of patternless edgers.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Santinelli edgers are are really great , but be careful of the sales force they will tell you anything to make the sale .And you pay alot for the service. There is a company that sells refurbished santinelli edgers and services them. they post on the optiboard sorry can't remember there name.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 05-07-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Patterns wear. Numbers in a database change only when you change them.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Santinelli edgers are are really great , but be careful of the sales force they will tell you anything to make the sale .And you pay alot for the service. There is a company that sells refurbished santinelli edgers and services them. they post on the optiboard sorry can't remember there name.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How could you forget!?:hammer:

Thread Information