Thread: How do you handle this

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave How do you handle this

I am working at a new place and I am selling triple what the other opticians are selling in terms of dollar amounts of each sale and multiple pairs. I have always been very strong in sales, it's just my thing. I also do the other stuff that needs to be done, cleaning demos, calling patients when their glasses are in, filiing etc. so it's not like I'm just jumping on everyone that waks in, we all see the same number of patients. My sales dollars are just much higher. I think the boss is coming down on them and now they are treating me different. Nitpicking what I do, most stuff they do as well, not including me in stuff etc. I am very friendly and outgoing and they were very nice to me until this happened. Just needed to vent and see if anyone else has gone through this.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You've raised the bar. Good for you!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod129 View Post
    I am working at a new place and I am selling triple what the other opticians are selling in terms of dollar amounts of each sale and multiple pairs. I have always been very strong in sales, it's just my thing. I also do the other stuff that needs to be done, cleaning demos, calling patients when their glasses are in, filiing etc. so it's not like I'm just jumping on everyone that waks in, we all see the same number of patients. My sales dollars are just much higher. I think the boss is coming down on them and now they are treating me different. Nitpicking what I do, most stuff they do as well, not including me in stuff etc. I am very friendly and outgoing and they were very nice to me until this happened. Just needed to vent and see if anyone else has gone through this.
    Get used to it. People tend to get jealous. Someone told me this week that those who complain are only afraid of their own jobs.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    [quote=hotrod129;240187] I think the boss is coming down on them and now they are treating me different. Nitpicking what I do, most stuff they do as well, quote]

When you say "boss" do you mean the owner or manager?
    How long have you been working there?
    How long have they been there?
    "Nitpicking" MOST things that they do as well?

These are some questions I would ask you to understanding the "lay of the land".

One thing I can answer to right off the bat is that it is the "bosses" responsability to not pit one co-worker against the other(s). Their lack of sales drive or skill is a direct reflection on the "boss" and his/her managment and leadership skills. Managing a Sales team is not rocket science.

Don't give them any reason to nitpick, be perfect in your work. Make no apologies for a job well done, but don't be puffed up.

Give it some time and good luck.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Of course Hotrod could just be a douche with no social grace.

:)

Occupation
    DANG!! :shiner:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's to handle, take your money and go home at the end of each day. Find other people (than fellow employees) to drink with.
    One doesn't work to be loved, one works to support one's self.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like I said I am very friendly and I never act like I'm better than anyone. I don't think I'm the "douche" here on this board.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been there a few months. I agree that I have to make sure to be as perfect as I can. I'm not sure yet it the owner is one to put one against another yet. They have been there a couple years and from what I'm learning, there has been alot of turnover. I am happy there, I'm just a people person so it bothers me a bit to think I'm being targeted for doing what I love doing. I agree that I will have to get thicker skin and I'm sure it will blow over. I appreciate everyone's input excluding the douche comment.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Always remember

I used to have a small contact lens manufactureing company. I trained all the employees who seemed to take particular delight whenever I made a mistake. I would always tell them:
    "Perfect People tend to be Crucified."

Perhaps you are trying too hard and this is what's happening to you.

Occupation
    Is this a commission shop? Nothing creates more worker animosity than one employee making more money than another especially if its the new guy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No it is not commissioned, but all of a sudden the owner has our sales numbers on a board for all to see. So, there seems to be a little more pressure. I don't think I'm trying to hard, if anything, I think I need to try harder to not give them any room to nitpick. I am going to keep being friendly and do the best job I can. Thank you again for your help and comments.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "douche" comment was tounge-in-cheek. We don't know if you are or if you aren't. But you seem to be sensitive about it. If you are going to raise the bar above your co-workers, you will need to toughen up.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No it wasn't!

:P

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you want to see animosity, become the boss after working as their equal for several years. You just have to accept it with the territory, consider the source and move on emotionally.

Occupation
    I have been there a few months. I agree that I have to make sure to be as perfect as I can. I'm not sure yet it the owner is one to put one against another yet. They have been there a couple years and from what I'm learning, there has been alot of turnover. I am happy there, I'm just a people person so it bothers me a bit to think I'm being targeted for doing what I love doing. I agree that I will have to get thicker skin and I'm sure it will blow over. I appreciate everyone's input excluding the douche comment.
    Turnover. A sign of corporate cancer. Best thing you can do to not be infected is to remain unaffected by the other employees who are not happy and not let their negativity affect you.

Come in, do your job, be happy and don't blame or judge them if they are not positive, happy people. Just be nice and polite and do what you can to keep yourself upbeat and productive. Always try to put a positive light on every situation and hold on to the brighter side of life.

And congrats for being a go-getter!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No it is not commissioned, but all of a sudden the owner has our sales numbers on a board for all to see. So, there seems to be a little more pressure. I don't think I'm trying to hard, if anything, I think I need to try harder to not give them any room to nitpick. I am going to keep being friendly and do the best job I can. Thank you again for your help and comments.
    Well, that's just wrong. Rubbing salt in the wound doesn't help. I have been in your situation. In the beginning they thought I was "lording it over everyone" but I too am a friendly, fair and honest person. After a while the co-workers who were also honest came around to my side and in the end the office was a much better place to work. There were always the lazy few who snubbed us but they weren't interested in playing with the team so they were the ones left out. My advice is to kill them with kindness, play fair and lead by example. It takes a while so be patient. The sales numbers on the board have got to go. Take it off the wall, take it to the boss and explain that winning teams are not made this way.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am wondering how good your co-workers are?
    Maybe you are showing them up to be lazy or rubbish salespeople in which case good for you

If they are good and hard working you must be fantastic!
    Maybe you should be in training or management:idea:

Alan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just screw them and be proud of yourself for having such good sales. They're just jealous dude. Don't let them get to you just because they're miserable people and can't be as good as you are. I know it's hard to change your attitude from being out going and trying to make friends with your co-workers to the "whatever" attitude, but you can do it, I did and it works, it will make your days much easier. Good luck and keep up the good work $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep up the good work! If the result is that other associates now have to work harder to look good also, they tend to get a little grumpy at first, But they will get over it! (Just as long as you are being a team player) It helps to make sure to recognize others for what they bring to the team also. A little sincere compliment goes a long way, especially when they are feeling overshadowed and it sounds like, unappreciated by the boss.
    Good Luck!:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Success often means you have enemies, the alternative is to be unsuccessful and to have those very same wolves as your friends, if I worked with you I would definitely want to be your friend, because you have a skill I want. They choose a different approach and that is to try and chop you down. You have nothing to gain from that kind of mentality or those type of people, congratulations on the best salesmanship in the office, take a bow.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Staff meetings

If you are a people person, that would extend to your co-workers. What is your experience in the optical profession? What is the experience of your co-workers? If they have more "time" in the business, even if you feel that you do a better job of "sales", ask their advice on topics. Not about how to increase sales, but other topics. Then become a willing participant of sharing knowledge as well. You may find that they will respect you more for asking their advice and ultimately sharing your own. Don't jump in to give advice until the right time. It only appears that you are puffing yourself up.

Does your office have staff meetings? If not, perhaps you could discuss this with your manager/boss, and suggest that each week, one staff member would share some success formula with the other staff to improve knowledge/business. In addition, what about other areas of training? Does your office have optical training other than sales. Knowing the technology of your product and services is important, just as being able to convey that knowledge to your patients in a way that they can see the benefit to themselves.

Good luck to you.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep up the good work, and tell your boss what you told us.

Keep on the boss' good side, as you'll likely be there after the rest have gone.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in a similar situation. I am the new one and our manager treats me and my coworker totally different. I get jumped on for the littlest thing but my coworker can ruin a patients progressive transition lenses by trying to remove AR without warning the patient they could be ruined and is told "It's ok" We also alternate who gets to leave early if we are slow and he let's her go every time and if I ask he let's me go about 20 minutes early, my coworker gets to leave at lunch. My coworker even tells him, it's not their turn and suddenly we all need to be there the whole time!!!! I'd like to spend extra time with my family too. Other people in the office have noticed as well how differently we are treated. It's ridiculous......

Thread Information