Thread: Field Rotation Optics? What to call them?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Field Rotation Optics? What to call them?

I'd sure like to have an idea about the correct technical term for the optical device I'm seeking, which is very different from seeking advice.

I've learned so much in the few hours I spent digging around on this board, that I'm already a lot more confident about how to attempt to elicit a better solution from one of my opticians.

So, 18 yrs ago, after a great guy from Wilmer cryo-ed my bilateral lattice/giant periph detachments (non-trauma-related) I woke up with
    OD -7.25s +1.75c 160
    OS -3.00s +0.50c 163
    Now I am up to +3 add on my attempted PAL.

Anyway, in my professional role as the Lone Ranger of product troubleshooting, I struggling with visualization of these increasingly tiny parts. There are a couple of topics I haven't seen covered here yet. I hope I am correct about the novelty aspect.

Post buckle, one visual field is rotated relative to the other. (alternating left right lensless view, by maybe 15degrees?) (also some vertical offset).

Without regard to cost/complexity, what device would I interpose in the optical path of a telescope or microscope, to dial out the angularity mismatch?

Hopefully this is not a redundant post.
    I have some other jargonistic disambiguation goals, but have learned to segregate them textually.

John T

Garsh, mis-spelled my own moniker when I chose it. Too Late to Fix it now... Yikes!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Schleral Buckle View Post
    Without regard to cost/complexity, what device would I interpose in the optical path of a telescope or microscope, to dial out the angularity mismatch?
    Wave retarder.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me guess....your in engineering!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I dont think so.
    Some times industries very basic slang terms are hard enough to understand for newbies.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Dialing in a rotated OD FOV...

So, as I comprehend 'wave retarder', it's ~OK, but imagine that I would like to have adjustable rotation, and to have it work with all colors.

As I understand the wave retarder, it would have the specified rotation at a corresponding wavelength (and other theta at other lambda [or whatever 'we' call it in this bailiwick]) Anyway, I can't imagine adjusting the thickness of such a device with a knob...Like those Groovy 70's TV camera lenses...

Although my intuitive machinery is not yet operable for it, I have the impression that a Dove Prism is the device of choice. (while achromatic, it may require parallel incidence, yes?)
    I just got some extremely nice binocular loupes, roughly "5x" telescopes I think . I need to call the vendor, and have a test question to burn through the layers of 'it can't be done' until I get to someone credible, who will tell me there is no point in the optical path where I could interpose a device. It would just be oh-so-handy to make that double-vision thing go away without forcing my poor brain to do it. Already enough that I apparently resize the images dynamically.

As of thursday, I've concluded that the ranking optician at the designated 'in-plan' shop is a very nice idiot, and I'm on my own to find someone to try to make some viable PAL's with +3 add, which have the extra bonus feature of binocular nearfield vision. Those brand new Fizzy360's had my left eye focussed on the left side of the page, and my right eye on the right side, but never the twain can see...
    Hard to merge, non-overlapping fields are...
    Buckle Up!

"The strong points of any system will take care of themselves; the weak links need explicit work-arounds..."
    (whodunit?)

Thread Information