Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!

Hello Hockey Fans!

So, with just a couple of games left to the season and the matchups almost all formed up, I want to talk pucks and fights with all my Opti-friends…

Who’s your team? Are you happy with matchups?

I’m a lifelong Pens fan and am ecstatic they have cinched up the first place Atlantic seed. And I can’t believe they are a game away from locking up #1 overall considering it was just two seasons ago they weren’t even in the playoffs.

If the current rankings hold, that would mean finishing the season with two games against the Flyers and then heading into a 7 game series with the Flyers. There were enough fights in their last game to last an entire playoff series so it should be nice and bloody before it is all said and done.

Current Rankings…

Eastern Conference
    Team
    GP
    Pts
    1. y-Pittsburgh 81 102
    2. y-Montreal 81 102
    3. * Carolina 81 92
    4. x-New Jersey 80 97
    5. x-NY Rangers 80 95
    6. Ottawa 81 94
    7. Boston 80 92
    8. Washington 81 92
    9. Philadelphia 80 91
    10. Buffalo 81 88
    11. Florida 80 83
    12. Toronto 81 83
    13. NY Islanders 81 77
    14. Atlanta 81 74
    15. Tampa Bay 81 71
    * = Division Leader

Western Conference
    Team
    GP
    Pts
    1. z-Detroit 81 113
    2. y-San Jose 81 108
    3. y-Minnesota 81 97
    4. x-Anaheim 80 98
    5. x-Dallas 80 95
    6. x-Colorado 81 93
    7. x-Calgary 81 92
    8. x-Nashville 81 91
    9. Vancouver 81 88
    10. Edmonton 82 88
    11. Chicago 80 86
    12. Phoenix 80 80
    13. Columbus 80 80
    14. St. Louis 80 75
    15. Los Angeles 81 71
    * = Division Leader
    Last edited by Grubendol; 04-04-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Well, my team " the Sabres" were eliminated last night so now I will pull for the Wild in the west. I lived in Minnesota for two years and attended a lot of games in the Xcel energy center. They have great fans and I hope they have a great run.

As far as the East, I hate all eastern teams except my own but I did gain a lot of respect for Pittsburgh the other night. They stood up very well to the cheap shot Flyers and that was a bloodbath. I would love to see that series but I am sure the Flyers will choke. My hats off to Syd the kid for taking all those sticks in the face and coming up swinging. I think the Penguins have a great shot.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the support LabRat ;)

Y’know I have to say watching the Pens/Rangers games from the weekend, you’d think that the Rangers were the #1 seed from the commentary at NBC.

Anyway, yeah, the Flyers game was a real bloodbath and the refs were calling it like a playoff game. I don’t know how many times a player can be slashed in the face, punched in the head, clotheslined or take a skate in the face without a penalty being called but that game was pretty darn close to setting a record in that category.

The big difference between the Pens of last year and the Pens of this year is that they have the physical toughness to stand up to that kind of beating. Laraque, Ruutu, Letang, Orpik, etc. have all become that much tougher. I can’t remember the last Pens game I saw where Laraque didn’t pick a fight or Ruutu didn’t taunt someone into one.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, my team " the Sabres" were eliminated last night
    Ditto that from me, but hey, they just were not that good this year. I don't really like the pens, but they are very good team. The flyers seem to be going for that vintage flyers hockey:hammer:. Depending on what carolina does match-up wise, I may try to get there and catch a game.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The flyers are the Oakland Raiders of the NHL….Perrenial Thugs who manage to beat teams up enough to win an occasional championship ;)
    www.opticaljedi.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My team is D.O.A. and D.U.M.B. Yep, the Leafs

Either way, I predict that it will be the Ducks beating the Canadiens in the finals

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been a Wings fan all my life. I have a possible connection for playoff tickets and I'm crossing my fingers. Maybe I'll even try to sneak the octopus in. Is there anything more fun than being at a hockey game? And I mean here in the north where they were meant to play. Man I live for fights.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    This year when one of our players was injured in Philly, the fans actually cheered as he was laying face down on the ice motionless. Then after about 5 minutes when he slowly was helped to the bench, They booed him off the ice. I would be embarrassed to be a Philly fan.

Me and my son watch Hockey every day. We are so passionate about the game. I do not know any other sport that can say that about the fans.
    When there is not a game on TV.........We are playing 2KSPORTS Hockey.
    Now those are some intense games!!!!
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’m a born and bred Californian. Discovered hockey from my best friend, who’s family is from Pittsburgh, thus my Pens affiliation.

We took our 3 week old daughter to a Kings game last weekend. Sadly, yes it was the Kings (even though they suck, I just can’t bring myself to support the Ducks…even if I did root for them a couple of years ago and even saw them destroy the Avs in a playoff game when it was still the Pond).

And no, there is nothing better than being at a game, especially if there are fights.

My wife and my baby girl at the game last week:

www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I’m a born and bred Californian. Discovered hockey from my best friend, who’s family is from Pittsburgh, thus my Pens affiliation.

We took our 3 week old daughter to a Kings game last weekend. Sadly, yes it was the Kings (even though they suck, I just can’t bring myself to support the Ducks…even if I did root for them a couple of years ago and even saw them destroy the Avs in a playoff game when it was still the Pond).

And no, there is nothing better than being at a game, especially if there are fights.

My wife and my baby girl at the game last week:

sure there is. Being on the ice in a fight.

I played 10 years in my youth and two years in Uni (intramural. I was never any good, it was not Uni level). The one thing I missed in Uni was body contact. I am not talking about hurting someone, but the tactic and strategy behind it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Growing up in Cali, I didn’t get to start playing until much later in life than you. I learned on inline skates and played pretty seriously starting around age 17. Played 2-3 times a week, 6 hour pick up games each time.

I started playing ice during my junior year of college. Purely a rec league but loved it. Since I started late and only did rec league, I never had an experience with a fight on the ice. Got plenty of stitches in the mouth/lips though during that brief stint of playing…dislocated my jaw too.

God I love this game.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Grubie, those are not the cheap seats either. You sure your an optician?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, they are not cheap at all….not my seats. A gift from a friend. My normal seats are way up in steerage behind the goal in the 3rd to last row.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got plenty of stitches in the mouth/lips though during that brief stint of playing…dislocated my jaw too.
    I only got cut once, when I was a referee. Five stitches over the eye. Started to do that in my late 30's, and went back to playing in an over 40 league until I tore my ACL, ow! That was about 13 years ago, and have not skated since.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I have got to say go WINGS!!!! With last nights amazing win less than 11 seconds left in the game, the Red Wings won the Presidents Trophy for an unprecidented 6th time giving them home ice throughout the playoffs. I would love to see Detroit vs. Pittsburgh in the finals

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Detroit Pittsburgh would be a blast. Two incredibly offensive teams pitted against each other for 7 games.

Sadly, as good as Detroit is (and probably Pittsburgh too), Detroit hasn’t done terribly well in the playoffs lately.

I miss playing dearly, but I almost died from a pancreatic problem almost 5 years ago and came out of it with a hernia in my midsection which makes physical exertion difficult and a body check potentially deadly. No hockey since.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Detroit has a great team this year, but it will be questionable about how their goalies will do in the playoffs. Hasek is one of the best all time, but he is fragile. Osgood has had a good year, but he was never really great when he was young, and age has not helped out much

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Detroit has a great team this year, but it will be questionable about how their goalies will do in the playoffs. Hasek is one of the best all time, but he is fragile. Osgood has had a good year, but he was never really great when he was young, and age has not helped out much
    True. But dang the old guys can still get out there can't they? Cheli is 46! The thing with this team is that we have some of the best European players in the entire league. Some of them are still babies but seem to be maturing at a rate faster than the old guys did in their youth. This may not be a Stanley Cup year but, been there. It's no longer about the big win for me, it's about the game. God I miss the old days when Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio owned the ice. No helmets, no teeth, blood everywhere. Brings a tear to my eye.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Speaking as a Blackhawks fan, we'll gladly take ol' Cheli back! We'll take him off our hands. It's the least we can do. :bbg:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the risk of being booed by my fellow opticians, I am no longer a hockey fan. As a Canadian, this is nearly sedition, but the level of on-ice violence had deteriorated to the point where I no longer care for the sport at all. I took my son to a couple games, but after several bloody punch-ups, I never did again.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    At the risk of being booed by my fellow opticians, I am no longer a hockey fan. As a Canadian, this is nearly sedition, but the level of on-ice violence had deteriorated to the point where I no longer care for the sport at all. I took my son to a couple games, but after several bloody punch-ups, I never did again.
    booooo

honestly, I do not mind the fighting. What I hate is the goon stuff like high sticking and cross checks.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I can say is.......

GO WILD

christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    booooo

honestly, I do not mind the fighting. What I hate is the goon stuff like high sticking and cross checks.
    I concur. And I have to see, I'm a little surprised Dave. I mean, it seems to me that the fighting today is nothing like it was in the 70's.

And while sad about the Pens decidedly lackluster final game, I'm happy with the Ottawa matchup. The Pens are a much better team this year versus last and Ottawa seems to have zero confidence since the All Star Break. Feeling good about a first round win.

EDIT: BTW, Eliza was quite upset with the Pens' performance as well:
    Last edited by Grubendol; 04-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, playoff matchups are set!

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal Canadiens vs. (8) Boston Bruins

(2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators

(3) Washington Capitals vs. (6) Philadelphia Flyers

(4) New Jersey Devils vs. (5) New York Rangers

I believe the Habs, Pens, and Caps will win in the East but I'm rooting for the Bruins, Sens and Caps.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Nashville Predators

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) Calgary Flames

(3) Minnesota Wild vs. (6) Colorado Avalanche

(4) Anaheim Ducks vs. (5) Dallas Stars
    www.opticaljedi.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Detroit Pittsburgh would be a blast. Two incredibly offensive teams pitted against each other for 7 games.

Sadly, as good as Detroit is (and probably Pittsburgh too), Detroit hasn’t done terribly well in the playoffs lately.

I miss playing dearly, but I almost died from a pancreatic problem almost 5 years ago and came out of it with a hernia in my midsection which makes physical exertion difficult and a body check potentially deadly. No hockey since.

Well I don't know what happened to your last post but it looks like when my son does his web designing. But now for Hockey I will be rooting for Montreal if you saw the final standings 1. Montreal 2. Pittsburgh and so forth. Montreal has great tradition and their fans are just fanatical. I think the series between Montreal and Boston will be pitting two old time franchises against each for the first time in many years and the Forum in Montreal as always will be sold out with 20,000 plus screaming fans. Lets go Hockey. :cheers:

Thread Information