Thread: VSP Choice Plan

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP Choice Plan

Can someone tell me what is the difference between VSP signature plan that we are currently on and have been for years to the Signature Choice plan.
    All I need is a thumbnail of what the difference is between plans:hammer:

Thank you for your help in this matter. (we just love VSP :shiner:)

Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    In a nutshell, Signature Choice was developed specifically for federal employees, IIRC, and then it fanned out from there.

The product is a very different animal than regular VSP. Essentially, instead of paying you "not enough", they pay you "none".

In essence, it's another one of those "give-away-optical-services-at-cost-in-order-to-get-very-meager-routine-eye-exam-fees" type of plan. Think Doofus Vision, Specterrible, Blockhead Vision and the lower-reimbursing Eyemud programs.

Very downmarket and destructive. You really have to Just Say No.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends on who your market is..

Many of the upgrades/options are only 20% off so you have the potential to make more money depending on your mark up.

Straight dispense fees are a bit lower than Value, exam/services payment is slightly higher, but not as much as Signature.

Not only Federal Employees have the plan, but they took over vision coverage for Cigna, and are marketing it various companies as a budget option.

We take the plan, but most FEPs in our area chose Davis. Make more money with VSP and have more control that Davis.. so that is a plus in my book!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Don't they even futher limit your choice of IDC labs?
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Don't they even futher limit your choice of IDC labs?
    I think that is a contract issue that may in time resolve itself. We have goten a few Cigna patients(oh sorry we can't tell them they have VSP)and I was very confused that we couldn't route it to our closest VSP lab that we use and like. For these patients only we have had to set up an account with a lab in Ohio. Ok, so we did and all is well. I also could not quite figure out how to price it. I knew what the patient had to pay but not exactly what we would be getting. So I winged it and priced it like the Signature plan. When payment came through it was actually higher.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Cigna is the key

I my conversations with VSP on this plan, two things became apparent.

1) for most OD's this is the only way to become a medical provider for Cigna. If you have a medically oriented practice, this can be huge

2) they pay about the same as signature for an exam.

As for the optical benefit, dispensing fees are definitely much lower, but as previously mentioned most options are 80% of U&C so you can actually come out ahead if you have good sales skills and charge enough for your eyewear options.

Who should avoid this plan, IMHO? A practice that has trouble selling higher end products and practices that don't do much medical. If both apply to you, run, don't walk from this plan.

John

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

P.i.a

I must say we've seen a few of these plans as well and I always dread it. Most of the lens options are only 20% off, so patients are more likely to decline the benefits of AR or polycarb if money is tight. Also, we must use one of their specific labs, which often times means having the frame dropshipped or fedexed all the way to Dallas (we're in Indiana) as opposed to our usual VSP going very nearby. This is a turnaround time problem. Just a P.I.A all around, I much prefer the regular Signature plans...

Also, the authorizations dont jump out at you that they are different, so sometimes our techs assume they are regular VSP patients. Patients love it when you call back to tell them they owe another $50-100!

Oh well, what can you do... :idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vsp

We dropped reasently, both VSP Plans. The "Choice" was clear, on the federal plans, they covered Transitions A/R, everything, no way to make any money, we are Ophthalmology lost out on exams as well.:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Supposedly the lab network is "optimized" so that you get the better turnaround. Dallas makes me think you are using Definity or 360 products. Since even our local labs have to order them through Dallas to get those products.. and heaven forbid there are any issues.

Turn around has been atrocious lately on the definity and even the few accolade freedoms I have been ordering. The problem seems to be either with coatings, or they "magically" have prism when they arrive at the labs (personally I think recent buy outs have affected a few things staffing wise in local labs..however both report the same issues.. so maybe it isn't that..)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're talking about VSP and Dallas, it may have something to do with VSP buying Ledgends 4.0. Maybe VSP mandates some of these plans go through there.

I say drop all insurance. We take none and are surviving just fine.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    Can someone tell me what is the difference between VSP signature plan that we are currently on and have been for years to the Signature Choice plan.
    All I need is a thumbnail of what the difference is between plans:hammer:

Thank you for your help in this matter. (we just love VSP :shiner:)

Robert

Basically here it is:
    1 You make less money (choice plan)
    2 you have to use the official VSP lab only to supply the glasses/lenses
    meaning your favorite private lab is out....

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the office that I work in, we take both plans. I have no idea where using a vsp lab comes from. You must use a vsp approved lab for both plans, you are not required to use a vsp lab exclusively.

As for not taking insurance, well there that, but most practices can not survive doing this until the industry changes and patients and insurances see the value in what we do. I am all for not not taking insurance that truly insult my offices work. A good example in Minnesota is Health Partners. They not only decreased the amount we are paid for routine eye exam, but decreased the amount we are paid for medical procedures we do. I will drop them before I drop VSP. As for the choice plan, we choose to do multiple sales, as well as, upgrading as much and realisticly we should. Our office does what it needs to take care of patients and we still make a profit. When we are scheduling is full of private pay patients, and no who fusses about pricing, then I can realisticly stop taking all insurances.

Just my opinion
    Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lab network is more restictive...

When I order via the choice plan, depending upon the lenses I choose.. it will give me 1-3 lab options. One may be the local lab I already use the majority of the time, but if I chose something that I know this lab can get (ie outsources) but they have a lab in network that can produce it in house.. they will force me to go to the one that can do it in house. The theory is they will get a quicker turnaround time. Plus I think some labs opted out of the choice plans anyway. The same as not all network labs will do Value..

As someone else said.. if you order a definity lens, chances are they will route you to Texas where the lens is already manufactured at, instead of your usual VSP lab...

Thread Information