Thread: Lensometers

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lensometers

Concerning Lensometers. I just received one for my office. I'm used to the old A.O. I received a Grimes Lensometer. It has a prism dial up by the eye piece and I'm just not quite sure how to use it. I don't care for this one as well as the old standard I'm used to. I can't seem to get the background lighting clear ( may need a bulb. I know it needs some ink ) and I just can't seem to get it lined up properly. Also the cylinder lines are two lines instead of one. I know there is room for improvement with my knowledge, but I felt like I used the A.O fairly well. Anyone know anything about this particular Lensometer and or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have always used a B&L (well I used one other one that I hated. I think it was a topcan). But I have been told that the only one better than a B&L is an old A.O. one.

Maybe Chris or Chip can chime in on that opinion.

I know that has nothing to do with your question, but I wanted to toss my two cents in (because that is the kind of guy I am)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I know that has nothing to do with your question, but I wanted to toss my two cents in (because that is the kind of guy I am)
    Yes we know

Now back to the question. I think your problem is one of adaptation, take the time to get accustomed to the new lensometer, it may be better than you think. My own opinion is that the B&L Model 70 is the best with the AO 12603 a distant second, all others are JUNK. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like this lensometer is NOT up to par, ( oh just give me my A.O and or the B&L ) , but I will not say that to my boss. He seemed so excited to ship it out to me. I suppose it does come down to adaptation. sigh.............. We shall see. ;)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Find a pair of glasses with a high correction and cylinder, use your new machine to check them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Find a pair of glasses with a high correction and cylinder, use your new machine to check them.

Will try. Have been. :)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by va_optikal View Post
    Concerning Lensometers. I just received one for my office. I'm used to the old A.O. I received a Grimes Lensometer. It has a prism dial up by the eye piece and I'm just not quite sure how to use it. I don't care for this one as well as the old standard I'm used to. I can't seem to get the background lighting clear ( may need a bulb. I know it needs some ink ) and I just can't seem to get it lined up properly. Also the cylinder lines are two lines instead of one. I know there is room for improvement with my knowledge, but I felt like I used the A.O fairly well. Anyone know anything about this particular Lensometer and or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much.
    I am not real sure what a Grimes Lensometer is, but it sounds like you are referring to a Marco type lensometer. The prism dial is used to compensate for prism. Rotate the silver dial and this will induce a certain amount of prism and then rotate the dial counter-clockwise or clockwise to choose a different prism axis. You may have to play with it to get your mires in the center. The lensometers I am familiar with generally have three cylinder lines and three sphere lines. You will center the lens with the center line.
    Hope this helps.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Yes, It sounds like you just need to get used to the prism compensator. I think when you get it, you will love it. I hated my Marco 101 when I first seen it, but after using it a few months, I loved it.

I am still a b+l 70 man. Prism chips are fun, but the prism compensator does just as well and its a lot more modern.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    I am not real sure what a Grimes Lensometer is, but it sounds like you are referring to a Marco type lensometer. The prism dial is used to compensate for prism. Rotate the silver dial and this will induce a certain amount of prism and then rotate the dial counter-clockwise or clockwise to choose a different prism axis. You may have to play with it to get your mires in the center. The lensometers I am familiar with generally have three cylinder lines and three sphere lines. You will center the lens with the center line.
    Hope this helps.
    Yes, it does help. Thanks.
    I did do just that, I put the mires in the center using the prism dial. Someone told me to just put the dial on 0 and leave it, but it wouldn't line up. I'm used to three sph lines and the one thick cyl line.
    It is simliar to a Marco. The lab manager of my company told me that is a Grimes. I never heard of it. It came reconditioned from 'Grimes Optical'.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    Yes, It sounds like you just need to get used to the prism compensator. I think when you get it, you will love it. I hated my Marco 101 when I first seen it, but after using it a few months, I loved it.

I am still a b+l 70 man. Prism chips are fun, but the prism compensator does just as well and its a lot more modern.

Oh, I'm sure I will get used to it. I'm a 70's gal myself , but started this Optical work in the 80's. I prefer the simple.
    Thanks.

Thread Information