Thread: Women At Home

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Women At Home

I covered women in the workplace in another post. I now have some suggestions for the ""little woman" at home. I keep a copy of this on the refrigerator door just to remind Mrs. Baker how fortunate she is.

How sweet it is!

HOW TO BE A GOOD WIFE
    Home Economics High School Text Book, 1954

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal, on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the home just before your husband arrives, gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad he is home.

Some don'ts: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.
    Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

The Goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats funny . . .

When I was a kid growing up, I don't remember any of this . . .

What I do remember is . . .

Mom would throw in some microwavable meals when she got home. Of course Mom wasn't always prepared every day so on the way home from work she would pick up McDonalds for my brother and I.

My mom came home in scrubs, hair falling out of her ponytail with God knows what bodily fluids on her clothes (She was a nurse, and the God reference is not intended to be religious, so do not take is as such).

Cleaning up became a contest between my brother and I to see who could fit more crap under their bed. ;-)

My brother and I would run all around the house trying to beat each other up. How I miss hearing my mom yell at us "Michael, Matthew cut the crap NOW! your father is coming home."

My mom was tired as hell when she got home. She showered, threw on baggy sweats, and complained with our father to see who had the crappier day.

Of course "eating dinner at the family table" became us kids munching down on or McD's chicken nuggets and a Big Mac in front of the TV. We couldn't miss Full House and Erkle . . Duh!

If only the authors of that text book could see how Free and Liberated women are now! Sarcasm . . Cough, Cough, . . Sarcasm
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mattie:
    Religious or not, you did have the respect and intelligence to capitalize.

Now in the subject of "Women at home". Dr. Laura addressed this once and said: "All men need is for you to let them watch football on the T.V. and when they get home from work, greet them at the door naked with a drink in your hand." She went on: "Got that, football, naked, drink then you will have happy hubby and a successfull marriage.".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Omg

Your mom sounds a lot like me. I am not nursing, but my kids are in a similar situation. How did you turn out?:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well . . . 50/50

Well,

I am in college, getting 2 bach degrees then off to Optom school. Not bad, right? However my brother is 19, can't drive, no job, and I am sure he grows pot in his closet at home.

I left home at 17 and never looked back! LOL

So, basically you got a 50/50 chance with your kids.

Hope you have more than 1! ;-)
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see nothing wrong with this homemaker advice. It's all good. Follow this advice and you will have a good marriage. Whether you be a wife or a husband.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh I agree, this is sound advice, if you live in the 1950's.

I have respect for the men and women who stay at home to take care of the house, kids, or both.

I am sure this "advice" flew in the 1950's. I just do not think it is relevant in 2008. A marriage, a family, stays together and functions because every one pitches in and thinks about everyones interest. This "advice", in my opinion, is degrading to, and talks down to women. They are to put themselves last, and only think of their husband.

Wanna take a guess at how many women ended up on antidepressants?

My Grandmother was one of those woman. My grandfather was a Lt in the NYC Fire Dept and she stayed at home raising 3 kids. It was so bad her Dr ended up putting her on what turned out to be speed. There is a reason their family was dysfunctional, there is a reason my mom and my aunt and uncle do not have a close relationship with their father. They are a product of the mentality of the society at the time.

This advice just re enforces that mentality. I am sure there are many house wives and husbands who stay at home and are perfectly happy doing things mentioned in this advice. Better bet my family sure isn't one of them.

But this is just my experience, my thoughts and opinion.
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling :-P

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    A marriage, a family, stays together and functions because every one pitches in and thinks about everyones interest. This "advice", in my opinion, is degrading to, and talks down to women. They are to put themselves last, and only think of their husband.
    ~Matthew
    I will agree that this advice is a bit degrading to women. But to make your first point, this is about thinking about someone elses interest and putting it ahead of your own. It's good advice for anyone which is mostly lost in this era.

The only thing this article needs is a companion article for husbands which instructs them in caring, pampering, loving, and encouraging their wives.

The wife gives of herself and spoils the husband.
    The husband gives of himself and spoils the wife.
    Now you have the basis for family;
    or a highly functioning team of any sort.

BTW many more people are on antidepressents now than ever before. And I'm sure that many more housewives would have been on them than were if they were as readily available as they are now.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why doan women wanna be women enny mo?
    Is is because me becomin women?

Ya'll hurries up wid dat feed back now...

Chip

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post

I am sure this "advice" flew in the 1950's. I just do not think it is relevant in 2008. A marriage, a family, stays together and functions because every one pitches in and thinks about everyones interest. This "advice", in my opinion, is degrading to, and talks down to women. They are to put themselves last, and only think of their husband.

~Matthew

Thank you for saying that. I feel like it should work both ways. Growing up, my mom would come home from work and make sure we had dinner, but for some reason my "dad" never seemed to care enough to be around even with dinner on the table.

Thread Information