Thread: Opinions please...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opinions please...

We are an Ophthalmology practice in a fairly depressed rural area located outside of town--no foot traffic/window shopping availability. Considering the above, our eyeglass sales are quite good. We do have packages available, but mostly sell premium eyewear: premium progressives, pretty high rate of AR and Trans etc. However, after paying $400-$700 for a pair of eyeglasses, getting suns as a 2nd pair is like pulling teeth!! We currently have a "sprinkling" of sunglasses on the boards. We have routinely offered 15% off 2nd pairs and have also gotten in quality sell outs and offered them at 50% as well as having current models available. We've also tried flat $ amounts off. Nothing seems to sway people in that direction. Don't really know what more I can do. Anyway, since we don't have such great luck with Suns I don't wrap up alot of inventory $'s in carrying a huge amount of sunglasses. We usually have 25-30 models on hand.

Here's the problem... One of the doc's husband wanted a new pair of sunglasses and we didn't have anything he liked which sparked the whole why don't we carry more suns yada yada. My feeling is this: If they really want to get into the sunglass market then they need to commit more $'s into frames--at least 50-60 minimum and understand they may not get a great return on them--based on history and realize that styles d/c from year to year and they may not always be able to be exchanged for newer models every year etc. OR continue as we always have.

My question to you great folks is how might you handle this differently?
    How many frames do you feel is a decent showing?
    What do you think of offering the sun frame basically at cost?

Thanks for imput and sorry for the long post.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are correct as far as you go. In order to sell sunwear you need to make a statement, and you do that by having a LOT of sunwear visible. Pick the styles that are known winners- ie ray-bans- maui- serengetti- bolle- etc. Most of those companies will work with you on dating the order so that it will fit within your budget. If you start with those, and need more of a statement, use a company that can supply sunglasses at low cost. I just got a brochure yesterday from a company who will throw 5 additional in for an order of 10, at a very reasonable price.The next thing you do is put them "up front" so that they are the first thing the patient sees when coming in and the last thing they see going out. Don't worry, they'll get the idea before long.

At the suggestion of one of my store managers I did this very thing in a store in Boston. Our sunglass sales went from just over 5% of sales to 25%. Needless to say we did the same in all stores. It was found money! good luck.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1 Yes, you have to have more than 25-30 styles available.
    2. Educate your patients on the benifits of sunwear ( i.e. health benifits, safety issues driving, ect.)
    3. Be enthusiactic about it! Make them want it, not just need it. How great function can meet great fashion.
    4. Have some lower cost alternatives, whether discounts or less expensive products in stock.
    5. Have all contact lens pick-ups done in the dispensary and always ask about their plano sunwear needs when they come to pick-up their cl's.
    6. Pair 50 can be your friend...( stop groaning fezz :D)

You have to commit to sunwear if you expect to sell it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    1 Yes, you have to have more than 25-30 styles available.
    2. Educate your patients on the benifits of sunwear ( i.e. health benifits, safety issues driving, ect.)
    3. Be enthusiactic about it! Make them want it, not just need it. How great function can meet great fashion.
    4. Have some lower cost alternatives, whether discounts or less expensive products in stock.
    5. Have all contact lens pick-ups done in the dispensary and always ask about their plano sunwear needs when they come to pick-up their cl's.
    6. Pair 50 can be your friend...( stop groaning fezz :D)

You have to commit to sunwear if you expect to sell it.

I agree with all. The only thing I would add to the list would be is your DOC's need to be more proactive with the patients. What I mean is the DOC's need to be up on what is the latest fashion in frames, lenses and accessories. This way they can recommend things like transitions,A/R,
    sunglasses,tints and computer glasses just to name a few. It's known that if the DOC recommends something you have a better then 50% chance the patient will purchase because the DOC said I should get this. You just have to show the features and benefits of why the DOC recommended them. Easy if done correctly!

just my take ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds a lot like the store I am in. We carry a limited amount of sunwear. Nothing that we can't Rx. Probably 40 to 60 pieces overall. I would love to have more but the boss has other ideas. That is until his wife needs something and then here come the Diors. I am expanding the inventory now because summer is coming and we will be selling more suns. I woud like to have a better mix and hopefully will as the practice grows.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumN View Post
    We are an Ophthalmology practice in a fairly depressed rural area located outside of town--no foot traffic/window shopping availability. Considering the above, our eyeglass sales are quite good. We do have packages available, but mostly sell premium eyewear: premium progressives, pretty high rate of AR and Trans etc. However, after paying $400-$700 for a pair of eyeglasses, getting suns as a 2nd pair is like pulling teeth!! We currently have a "sprinkling" of sunglasses on the boards. We have routinely offered 15% off 2nd pairs and have also gotten in quality sell outs and offered them at 50% as well as having current models available. We've also tried flat $ amounts off. Nothing seems to sway people in that direction. Don't really know what more I can do. Anyway, since we don't have such great luck with Suns I don't wrap up alot of inventory $'s in carrying a huge amount of sunglasses. We usually have 25-30 models on hand.

Here's the problem... One of the doc's husband wanted a new pair of sunglasses and we didn't have anything he liked which sparked the whole why don't we carry more suns yada yada. My feeling is this: If they really want to get into the sunglass market then they need to commit more $'s into frames--at least 50-60 minimum and understand they may not get a great return on them--based on history and realize that styles d/c from year to year and they may not always be able to be exchanged for newer models every year etc. OR continue as we always have.

Thanks for imput and sorry for the long post.
    I suggest carrying about 125 suns. Bring in a a few key collections 1. sport collection such as Adidas, Rudy Project or Oakley 2. higher end line Dior or Gucci with both non-rx and rx options available 3. then a lower line with both rx and non-rx models such as Mexx or Rodenstock, Banana Republic, Max Mara. Something that fits your demographic. If you can, add a technical collection like Maui Jim and you'll be selling plenty of suns in no time. As a second pair or otherwise. Offer a time period they can purchase at a discount to give them an opportunity to recover from the expense. Put a couple of suns in their tray for them to look at during pick-up. Or, have a small rack (12 piece) that sits at the dispensing table (if pilferage isn't too much of a problem for you) this way, they'll get their own idea while you're off making their adjustments. We sell a heap of suns since we went this route. Good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are an Ophthalmology practice in a fairly depressed rural area located outside of town--no foot traffic/window shopping availability.

My feeling is this: If they really want to get into the sunglass market then they need to commit more $'s into frames--at least 50-60 minimum and understand they may not get a great return on them--based on history and realize that styles d/c from year to year and they may not always be able to be exchanged for newer models every year etc.

What do you think of offering the sun frame basically at cost
    Seems I missed a few points when I replied the first time. If you are in a depressed rural area you are doing fairly well if you are selling premium lenses, AR and Transitions regularly. However, as in my situation they don't necessarily like to spend the money on a second pair of suns. We still sell the heck out of anything with a sun clip on it. We sell second pair suns but it may be a few months after the initial purchase. I always give them my card with "20% off second pair if purchased within 60 days". That brings them back quite often. In a depressed area you are not going to sell high end suns too often. The twenty somethings would rather go down to the corner gas station and buy the knock offs.

Sun styles are much more subjective to fashion trends therefore you want to be able to exchange for newer models. All of my reps do this for me. I usually buy my suns from the same reps that I buy my opthalmic frames. They all carry a sun line. Safilo's Fossil suns for men fly off the shelf here. They are affordable, made well and are easily Rx'd.

Now why would you even consider offering the frames at cost? What good would that do your business? I only mark up the suns 2X and no one ever say's they are expensive. Carry only polorized versions if you can. Anything else is purely fashion not function. You don't need 150 suns to attract buyers. What you need is the right blend. You should know your market. Age, activities, etc. Got a lot of bikers? Liberty's biker wraps sell well. Middle aged women? Dana Buchman by Kenmark has some great new suns this year that have been selling. You need to sit down and figure out what it is that your market would buy and then stock accordingly. Don't make a big buy until you are sure.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the replies.

I would only consider cost for frame if there was rx lens profit in it. As it is we only do 1.5x and still, comments are too expensive! The close outs we have Ellen Tracy, Norma Kamali etc are only at $54.95. We also have them smack dab in the front--big display and nice and purdy--can't miss them.

Anyway, I think this whole thing is going to be a bust! In brainstorming with the other opticians, they've basically said they don't want to offer anything to do with suns because of how verbally nasty the patient's are about. They get the "haven't you gotten enough already" and the like.
    I've also asked the docs to write a separate sun rx and they've balked at that.

We meet tonight about it and we'll see what they want to invest, but if they aren't going to promote it, then I don't see how it's going to fly.
    But again, thanks for the replies.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I would only consider cost for frame if there was rx lens profit in it. As it is we only do 1.5x and still, comments are too expensive! The close outs we have Ellen Tracy, Norma Kamali etc are only at $54.95. We also have them smack dab in the front--big display and nice and purdy--can't miss them.

Anyway, I think this whole thing is going to be a bust! In brainstorming with the other opticians, they've basically said they don't want to offer anything to do with suns because of how verbally nasty the patient's are about. They get the "haven't you gotten enough already" and the like.

We meet tonight about it and we'll see what they want to invest, but if they aren't going to promote it, then I don't see how it's going to fly.
    You need to be very frank and direct with your doctors that they are a big part of selling more sunglasses. If they won't recomend it or write a seperate Rx for it then how do they expect you to sell more??!!!! Point out to them that if they did not tell the patient that they needed a new Rx then nothing you or the other opticians could say would cause most people to buy new glasses. Do they hand a patient a new Rx and say talk to the optician and decide if you want to get new glasses or do they tell the patient "Your rx has changed so we need to update your eyeglasses. Joanie will help you pick out the right lenses and frames." Why would they expect it to be different when selling sunglasses?
    Some people see the glass as half empty, some as half full. I see the glass and wonder what the radius of curvature is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re-read my post #4. I pointed out if you can't get the DOC's involved your battles lost. Because if your having a hard time convincing them to just write an rx for suns and their balking good luck. If you try something like: "DOC can we try this for 2 months you recommending to every patient what they need according to their needs and lets see how it goes" This way you have time to see if it will work or not. Now it will work if the DOC is on board with it because I have worked in offices where this same situation occurred and we implemented the above and we saw sunglasses increase 10 to 20%.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Market research has proven that people don't typically buy plano sunglasses at optical retailers.
    So there's your answer. Don't try to scare CL wearers into sun--it's a long shot sale and it's dishonest.
    100 or so sun frames are fine for any normal optical retailer. If you don't believe me, order a bunch or sun, listen to the advice to the contrary, and watch them sit on your displays forever, looking pretty.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, desperate times call for desperate measures...

I think there are three worthwhile special-use glasses to promote in the optical: sunwear, computer glasses, and sports/protective eye wear for kids.

Now, if you believe like I do that once someone has something necessary that they'll be "hooked" forever, if you can get the product on the patient they'll be back for more, next time.

Why not do this? Raise the prices on your ophthalmics to include VERY BASIC SUNWEAR. That means get five or six styles of inexpensive frames (or many close outs) and supply SVDO with a tinted CR39 "for free". Include the materials cost (no profit, though) in the frame and in the lenses (don't do this for insurance patients, of course.)

You will be "giving away" sunwear every time, and look like a freakin' hero. It's not unethical because it's a "package deal", in effect. You're not even profiting, here.

Here's the kicker...build up your nicer sun frame inventory and let them "trade up" if they want...$50 (or whatever) towards the nicer stuff. That's "found money" to them. Regardless whether they trade up or not, they'll begin to appreciate their sunwear the next visit and want the good stuff.

Hey, don't you think the price of those bourbon chicken samples isn't covered by the cost of your dinner at Tandoori Palace in the foodcourt? Stick a toothpick in an Rx sun and watch them order a plate full when their appetite is whetted.
    Last edited by drk; 03-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I think there are three worthwhile special-use glasses to promote in the optical: sunwear, computer glasses, and sports/protective eye wear for kids.

Now, if you believe like I do that once someone has something necessary that they'll be "hooked" forever, if you can get the product on the patient they'll be back for more, next time.

Why not do this? Raise the prices on your ophthalmics to include VERY BASIC SUNWEAR. That means get five or six styles of inexpensive frames (or many close outs) and supply SVDO with a tinted CR39 "for free". Include the materials cost (no profit, though) in the frame and in the lenses (don't do this for insurance patients, of course.)

You will be "giving away" sunwear every time, and look like a freakin' hero. It's not unethical because it's a "package deal", in effect. You're not even profiting, here.

Here's the kicker...build up your nicer sun frame inventory and let them "trade up" if they want...$50 (or whatever) towards the nicer stuff. That's "found money" to them. Regardless whether they trade up or not, they'll begin to appreciate their sunwear the next visit and want the good stuff.

Hey, don't you think the price of those bourbon chicken samples isn't covered by the cost of your dinner at Tandoori Palace in the foodcourt? Stick a toothpick in an Rx sun and watch them order a plate full when their appetite is whetted.
    You've convinced me I'll take a plate of your finest sunwear medium rare please.:cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    Market research has proven that people don't typically buy plano sunglasses at optical retailers.
    So there's your answer. Don't try to scare CL wearers into sun--it's a long shot sale and it's dishonest.
    100 or so sun frames are fine for any normal optical retailer. If you don't believe me, order a bunch or sun, listen to the advice to the contrary, and watch them sit on your displays forever, looking pretty.
    My market research tells me that you are correct with the exception being middle aged women. I have sold three new plano suns this week to women who walked in to have their readers fixed, or pick up their kid's contacts.
    Impulse buying since the suns are placed right next to the front desk. There is a lot of "Oh I love these! I shouldn't! Should I? My husband would kill me. Oh what the heck, I deserve something nice. Wrap them up".

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really like this idea! I'm calling Del-Rey right now to see what they have in closeouts.

Thomas

Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Let's try a little stereotyping. Depressed rural area=farming area or lots of munual labor jobs. Try selling them as eye protection, with great scratch resistance (polarized glass?). Rural area means lots of driving. Try the Younger Drivewear® as the second pair.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My doc stays out of inventory decisions and I think they should, after all we are the ones doing all the selling. I am fortunate to work for a great doc who lets me make all of the inventory decisions! A great way to sell suns is to get a polarization display and show the difference between polar and tinted. Offer backside a.r. for half price. The patient will feel like they are at a place that knows their stuff and they will feel like they are getting a deal. You must always show confidence in your suggestions and never sell a patient anything they don't need! That will cause you to lose good patients and cost you in redos!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Protect rural areas.....................

[quote=AutumN;234632]
    [quote]

Use you discontinued frames..............or buy some at rock bottom...............tint your own lenses lenses any color customer wants,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sell the at cost or at any more you csan get away with, In thos rural areas epeople just want protection, so include some UV treatment.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk, that line is worth the price of admission thanks for the visual.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are an Ophthalmology practice in a fairly depressed rural area located outside of town--no foot traffic/window shopping availability. Considering the above, our eyeglass sales are quite good. We do have packages available, but mostly sell premium eyewear: premium progressives, pretty high rate of AR and Trans etc. However, after paying $400-$700 for a pair of eyeglasses, getting suns as a 2nd pair is like pulling teeth!!
    What am I missing here?

Depressed rural market...(I assume you mean "economicaly depressed")

They just spent $400-700 for a pair of glasses...
    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

And we can't figure out why they won't go back to the barnyard and dig up another jar of money from their savings?
    :(

If the doctor's husband can afford a good pair of suns, then these folks should dig a little deeper and buy themselves a pair as well.
    :finger:

(Oh, the good doctor's husband probably didn't pay $700 for his glasses did he? Maybe he's got a little more to spend on his suns.)
    :o

Everybody should buy sunglasses. Finances be dammed.
    Haven't these rural bumpkins ever heard of a home equity loan?
    ;)

Maybe instead of more suns, you should put in a loan department!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information