Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul E. Carbonate
    Rising Star

What is YOUR power?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm glad we're all friends now and the contest is over!

I called the lab I use today and got input from the patient as well about the minus 16 patient. They would prefer the thinness of the high index over the safety of the polycarb. The frame I put him in was fine with no decentration and a 25 B measurement. The patient tried on the poly lenses and had no complaints about chromatic abirations. Thanks for the advice.

I spoke with several opticians today about the laws in the state of Florida for dispensing, and as long as the practice is owned by an OD anyone can dispense under his liscense. We currently have less than 1 percent remakes so I think it's going to be a hard sell to convince the doctors to hire an optician for rare patients when I can just call our lab for advice. I'll just try and keep our quality control measures as high as possible in the lab, on the sales floor, and in dispensing.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-21-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: inapprpropriate language

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The trouble isn't so much problems like you've described so far. Putting a -16 in high index is obvious. Its when you get people coming back with specific problems with their vision where having an Optician is going to make the difference. Your lab isn't going to be able to help you out in cases like that, and your doctors are going to get uppity having to do re-checks on people when all they needed was a simple adjustment. As stated before, most people can learn how to do these adjustments, but you need someone to teach you, and your lab guys aren't going to be the ones to do it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If you must use Poly, don't use it in powers over about -4.00. Distortion becomes intolerabe beyond this point.
    100% wrong. That's a ridiculous statement and we have at least three or four happy customers per day who prove the point.
    Show the math, dude. You know no research backs you up on this latest bizarre statement.
    YEP, Even if I would personally not prefer Poly because of the low nue, lateral color is not distortion and there is nothing else with Polys n and nue that would cause any unsual distortion over other materials.

Maybe, only maybe, in some cases Poly lenses are more optimized with regard to "impact protection" and not so much optical quality and have sub-optimum base curves, bad aspherics, cheap coatings and other "inhomogenities" (I seem to remember the guys with the "invisible lens AR coating" claimed their poly is especially optimized for low birefringence, but I still would like to see the impact on everyday vision).

It´s not the optical properties of the stuff (besides nue, that many people - not me - are pretty unsensitive to) that makes it much worse than other - especially high index - stuff.

If there is something to it, there must be another explanation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    The trouble isn't so much problems like you've described so far. Putting a -16 in high index is obvious. Its when you get people coming back with specific problems with their vision where having an Optician is going to make the difference. Your lab isn't going to be able to help you out in cases like that, and your doctors are going to get uppity having to do re-checks on people when all they needed was a simple adjustment. As stated before, most people can learn how to do these adjustments, but you need someone to teach you, and your lab guys aren't going to be the ones to do it.

I second what the Admiral said. You maybe able to handle certain problems but one day your going to go in and all hel_ will brake loose and you will not know what to do. It's apparent from your posts that you were only looking for an out on your current situation and instead of taking our advise for an optician you have turned this around so you could gather information just to further your own position. I now agree with HC this thread should be closed. I believe Tulane is only taking advantage of our generosity.

HC PLEASE CLOSE THIS

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is allowed under posting guidelines- but this situation is a perfect example of why the uninformed, untrained members shouldn't be posting in these threads. I let this thread skate against my better judgement because the questions asked were valid and also timely. So far all Tulane has managed to do is to show how unprepared he/she is to do an adequate job of practice management and to start a lively discussion on the virtues (or lack thereof) of polycarbonate. It brings to mind a sign I once saw on the wall of the Aspen Ski School. It said"

Amateur's TEACH Amateur's to BE Amateur's!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-21-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling again Miss Pomeroy
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    That is allowed under posting guidelines- but this situation is a perfect example of why the uninformed, untrained members shouldn't be posting in these threads. I let this thread skate against my better judgement because the questions asked were valid and also timely. So far all Tulane has managed to do is to show how unprepared he/she is to do an adequate job of practice management and to start a lively discussion on the virtues (or lack thereof) of polycarbonate. It brings to mind a sign I once saw on the wall of the Aspen Ski School. It said"

Amateur's TEACH Amateur's to BE Amateur's!

Thanks HC great quote :bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got better than math have more experience than I wish with unhappy patients from same.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For what it's worth department

IF I were one of Chips customers, he could put me on the list as well. My Rx (+5.00 and +4.75 with small cyl and +3 add) in Definity poly transitions does NOT have the clarity as the same Rx in Definity Trivex. The only difference is the material and the only way I can describe it is clarity. I had planned to do a review of the Trivex Definity product but I'm waiting until its out in Transitions which to me,will be the PERFECT lens design, married to the PERFECT lens material. When that day comes, I will think I've died and gone to heaven.
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    For what it's worth department

IF I were one of Chips customers, he could put me on the list as well. My Rx (+5.00 and +4.75 with small cyl and +3 add) in Definity poly transitions does NOT have the clarity as the same Rx in Definity Trivex. The only difference is the material and the only way I can describe it is clarity. I had planned to do a review of the Trivex Definity product but I'm waiting until its out in Transitions which to me,will be the PERFECT lens design, married to the PERFECT lens material. When that day comes, I will think I've died and gone to heaven.
    Three cheers for Trivex!!!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Opticians provide a valuable service. I made it clear in my first post that I thought highly of your skills. Since then you've lashed out at me (and the doctors in my practice). :angry: Your letting your egos and your union (official or unofficial) get in the way of providing the straightforward answers I was seeking. It's not my fault that machines make glasses better and faster than you ever could by hand. It's not some trade secret how to read a lensometer. Unfortunately for you your jobs are now reduced to door to door sales reps, in danger of your jobs from luxotica, or working in small slab off shops. If you want to still work for independent doctors you are going to have to change your mindset and present yourselves as office managers, practice planers, and opticians. If you can show doctors how you can improve their bottom line and provide excellent optics for his patients he will listen, but when you walk up to his door and say pay me 40k a year and I'll provide excellent optics for your patients, he's probably going to say "why?" You need to stop thinking about the five percent of people that are going to reject poly and the others that are going to enjoy it's benefits. If you want to do a cost analysis of using poly to prove me wrong go ahead, but if Wal-Mart is using mostly poly most people really aren't seeing the difference.

I would have loved to have read posts saying exactly when they use poly and when they have problems with it, when trivex is better or when high index works the best.

I didn't realize Pis_ was a cuss word! I'll have to put a quarter in the jar.:finger:

This is my last post for a while anyway. The mod should have closed the thread half of you want to have a detailed debate over using poly ( a timely discussion), while everone else wants debate why opticains jobs are in jeopardy. Good luck to you all, some of you have been very nice and I'm sure are wonderful people. The rest of you need a beer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulane View Post
    The rest of you need a beer.

I'll second that!!

:D:cheers::D:cheers::D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I'll second that!!

:D:cheers::D:cheers::D

I'll 3rd that!!! I'm outta here in 5 mins. It's brisket weekend. Everyones welcome, come on over! Even you Tulane.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians provide a valuable service. I made it clear in my first post that I thought highly of your skills. Since then you've lashed out at me (and the doctors in my practice). :angry: Your letting your egos and your union (official or unofficial) get in the way of providing the straightforward answers I was seeking. It's not my fault that machines make glasses better and faster than you ever could by hand. It's not some trade secret how to read a lensometer. Unfortunately for you your jobs are now reduced to door to door sales reps, in danger of your jobs from luxotica, or working in small slab off shops. If you want to still work for independent doctors you are going to have to change your mindset and present yourselves as office managers, practice planers, and opticians. If you can show doctors how you can improve their bottom line and provide excellent optics for his patients he will listen, but when you walk up to his door and say pay me 40k a year and I'll provide excellent optics for your patients, he's probably going to say "why?" You need to stop thinking about the five percent of people that are going to reject poly and the others that are going to enjoy it's benefits. If you want to do a cost analysis of using poly to prove me wrong go ahead, but if Wal-Mart is using mostly poly most people really aren't seeing the difference.

I would have loved to have read posts saying exactly when they use poly and when they have problems with it, when trivex is better or when high index works the best.

I didn't realize Pis_ was a cuss word! I'll have to put a quarter in the jar.:finger:

This is my last post for a while anyway. The mod should have closed the thread half of you want to have a detailed debate over using poly ( a timely discussion), while everone else wants debate why opticains jobs are in jeopardy. Good luck to you all, some of you have been very nice and I'm sure are wonderful people. The rest of you need a beer.

Don't even get me started on how to impress DOC's with the bottom line I've been their and done that. As soon as the bottom line was big enough I was let go in both cases because as I was told your making too much. Too
    much I was making 16.50 per hour while the OMD was making seven figures.
    And I don't mean 50,000.50 as seven even though it's really eight I mean
    1,000,000.00 thats what the DOC I worked for was pulling down. That was according to an OD he had working for him ( he was supposedly his best friend). So don't get me started on how to impress an OD or OMD because I've been their done that. Basically from what I gather OD probable offered her a raise if she could do both jobs. Nice work if you can get it! :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Since you are being paid to manage a practice without our help, .......why not do it?
    Lord Byron

Thread Information