Blocking pads for Super Hydrophobic Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
    We also tried these inconjunction with soft (BPI) blocks...but that marriage was a disaster!.. It's regular, hard blocks for me.

FWIW

barry
    Barry,
    What was the disaster that you speak of? I tried the BPI red, and they seem to work well. The plusses that I see are that they flex instead of the lens, so the coating won't craze and the bevel is in the correct place on thin stock lenses. Also, since they flex, you get a much larger contact area, regardless of the BC. I can see how it's possible that they could twist slightly under high torque. Also, the pads stick HARD to the block, so there is a much less chance of slipping between the block and pad.
    So when I started to have problems I switched to the Blue hard ones per recommendations from my experts. I have the BPI red in reserve.], in case it wasn't the blocks.

Comment

Alternative..................

There is still the logic other alternaqtive...............................

Order the lenses without the slick coats..................cut them without any problem..............and then

apply the slick coat yourself and save problems and money and end up with the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Santini View Post
        The new, Leap III LSE (low Surface Energy) Fixed all our shape axis/slippage problems, but be careful deblocking...you can ruin the AR if not done gently.
        Barry - do you use the Leap III LSE pads with or without any of the Rikki/non-slip pads?
        -Steve

Comment

Personally, I use nothing but SecurEdge and the non-slip coat they apply at coating. (no blue stickies) I also edge on geo-center and by-pass the "idiot" mode where the edger does the decentration.

Comment

Does anybody know of a company who can supply us with Glazing edging pads here in the UK, we have had quotes from the main suppliers in the UK, but their mark up is high.

I have been emailing companies in the US, Turkey, Italy and India who actually make and produce these pads and was wondering if anybody wanted to share what information they have on their pads.

So long as we are not talking stupid figures we can buy in bulk, and we are interested in any kind of edging pads from budget through top of the range hydrophobic pads.

Cheers
            Kevin Byrne

Comment

If you are interesting to a mono adesive pad for super top coat i suggest you to buy from PBG Italy http://www.pbg.it/default.aspx the code is MT0904 . the pad are OK and we have no troubles on lens rotation.

Comment

secure edge plus, with antislip stickers on both sides.

Comment

My "no problems" set-up

Caveat, I only edge Avance' as it is the only superduperA/R we sell

Edger: Optronics 6E (yes just a plain ole 6E)

Blocking system 3M AIT solid blocks

Pads, 3M 1700M

Routine: Block-up directly pad to bare lense, place 3M blue chip on the back surface of lense.

The only time I have slippage problems is when the cutter blade starts to get dull.

Comment

I use DAC's HydroEdge Pads for all of our hydro/oleophobic lenses.

These pads work great by themselves with no stickers or additions required.

The only downside to these is the fact that the adhesive will let go almost as soon as the chuck pressure is released. Make sure your edger is on size!!!!!
                    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Comment

we use hilco oleophobic blocking pads

Comment

The Secure Edge pads worked reasonably well for me, but still had some slippage. What I disliked the most tho was the amount of time it took to clean (and reclean) the lenses afterword.

I now use, with incredible success:
                        Clean all lenses first (except Alize)
                        Front side gets clear surface saver tape with blocking pad mounted on it
                        Blocking pads are PSI #2810
                        Back side gets an extra pad if it is AR/polarized/photochromic/otherwiseExpensive
                        Let sit in tightened chuck a minute or two to set adhesives before edging

Even tho it may sound like a lot of tape, what I really like is that when the lens is finished I just tear off the tape and no longer have to clean StickyStuff off the lenses. :)
                        -Tony

Comment

PSI has a new blocking pad designed specifically for super hydophobic and oleophobic lenses call Oleo-Gold. It is brand new. If you would like to try some samples, email me at kgillen@looktopsi.com and I will send some out to you.

Comment

Holy zombie thread, Batman!

I have converted 100% to Big Red pads from Dynamic Labs. I've never had a single slip.
                            I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Working...
                            X