Thread: Ontario Opticians & OD Assistants

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Ontario Opticians & OD Assistants

Hi Everyone!

I am a salesrep for a frame company in Ontario. I have been kicking an idea around in my head for sometime now. (Imagine that!)
    I would like to organize an event in each one of the major cities in my territory. This event or lecture would qualify for a few of the continuing education credits you all need.
    Some questions I need to know an answer to:

1. Do you think you would be interested?
    2. What if there was Wine & Cheese?
    3. Which evening thru the week would work best for you?
    4. Would you RSVP?
    5. Would prizes be a bonus?
    6. Would combining the OD's & Opticians attendance keep you away?

My goal here is to better educate you (our partners) with the essential tools you require to dispense my companies frames. Hopefully you will SELL MORE! LOL!
    Now, I understand that lectures are usually boring & useless, BUT, I can promise you an entertaining & informative evening.
    All responses & feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to All.

Scott

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    All responses & feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to All.

Scott[/quote]

Yup , count me in ! Pinot Grigio or Sam Adams or Alexander Keith or IPA from the microbrewery

Any evening is ok .

RSVP is ok .

You can bring along the OD,s and anyone else after all it is your party .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-18-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Scott;

I have just returned from a con ed lecture put on by Trans-Canada Optical on Trivex lenses. They had a guy from PPG Industries (who invented Trivex and CR-39 for that matter) who spoke on the history of the material and it's many advantages. Sam Merulla the owner of Trans Canada spoke and showed an informative video produced by the Thai Optical Group who produces the lenses he sells. Another speaker was an OD from Brantford who spoke about how to incorporate Trivex into your practice.
    There was food (I strongly recommend this), open bar and tons of prized. Two 19 inch flat-screen TV's were given away but alas I came away empty-handed except for the con ed credit. Alot of quality prizes were available including a few tea pots with beautiful artwork on them made in Thailand.
    I hope this helps you in planning your event.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    P.S. They invited the 3 O's to the event.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm in BC, so I wouldn't be able to attend but it sounds like you have a good idea going.

- Food is always a good thing. People don't pay attention on empty stomachs. I'm one of those rare folk who doesn't drink alcohol at CE events, even if it is open bar, but I'm sure everyone else wouldn't mind a drink of two.

- Planning for a specific evening is always tricky. Particularly if your target audience's practices are far flung from each other (a big problem here in the Lower Mainland). Be sure to announce the date well in advance so people who want to go can arrange their schedules appropriately.

- I'm very much for RSVPs, but I know I'm the only one in my clinic who is. I have yet to understand why my colleagues hem and haw until the last minute.

- Prizes are a good incentive to get people to come out, depending on what the prize is.

- Please, please, please invite the optometric assistants to attend along with opticians and ODs. Here in Vancouver, it can be hard to get CE as an OA because so many of the seminars aren't set up to give us credits. Approval is usually only gotten from the College of Opticians and the Board of Examiners in Optometry. You can get approval for OA credits through the CAO.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I know if you look at Northwestern Ontario, I would hope these guys would jump at the opportunity, without wine or cheese. I know my former business associates would. It is very difficult for them to get hands on credits. They had one show a few years ago, and it had a good turn out.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Rewceipe for disaster..................

When I had my frame company in the 60s and seventies this was tried several times, not just by one company but it used to be between 5-10 and whole thing was a disaster and cost a lot of money to the suppliers .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    When I had my frame company in the 60s and seventies this was tried several times, not just by one company but it used to be between 5-10 and whole thing was a disaster and cost a lot of money to the suppliers .

Chris:
    That was 48 years ago . Nothing remains the same . Legislated Continuing Education is what makes these things a success today .

48 years ago did you have a Continuing Education requirement as the motivation for people to attend ?

It will work today .

Imagine what would happen to microwave tinting sales if the old style tint units were legislated out based on environmental reasons ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "work". People will come, sure. Food, drinks, and a credit? They'll defiantly come.... whether or not they'll buy your frames... well that's another question all together.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have to agree with Gary on this one. It would appear that you don't have a grasp of the reality that is today with respect to mandatory continuing education. I have been to lots of these things and have found that if it's free, has food and a credit or two it will certainly fly. Door prizes and liquour would be a bonus.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, interested, would you hold it in the wine and cheese region (niagra)?
    Any evening good after 7pm, would RSVP,prizes are a great bonus, but you must invite the 3 O's!
    its good to meet and learn from everyone in the industry, and will open more possible doors for you!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What is the estimated cost of putting on an affair like you are proposing ? How many people would you expect ? What would it cost each participant in order for you to break even ? Normally , I would have to drive to Toronto ( 20.00 gas + wear and tear on the vehicle + time ) and spend a day . Therefore, pitching in 20 or 30 dollars would be reasonable .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Im in!

I'd go for sure.
    Invite all the O's!
    Hoya did something like that last year. Went from city to city. It was great.

I have a suggestion for you to, in regards to the prizes, I bet you if you were to give away something like a car, you'd get a great turn out!! Or even a 2 week cruise to Alaska! Would you concider giving away cash prizes? Nothing big, just like 10 grand.......oh yea I'd be there for sure.

Hope this helps! :hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd be in....TO, Ottawa.....

Thread Information