Thread: Is CA really licensed...?

Bad address email on file
    Hello everyone. In the past, I remember someone said that CA is a licensed states but is it really licensed? Say, for example, FL has a very strict regulations as to how you should operate a optical store and what has to be done. Here in CA, (I'm not saying all but many) doesn't seem to concern about your qualification or training. As long as you are a good sales person, that's all they want. I maybe be wrong and I may only seeing very small samples but... Is anyone have any opinion?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jill, In Ca the licensing laws are very strange, in fact a registered dispensing optician in Ca is a place of business, not a person! The optician is a registered spectacle dispenser. To be a registered spectacle dispenser, one needs to ABO certified. However to you do not have to be ABO certified to renew every other year.

[This message has been edited by CME4SPECS (edited 06-29-2000).]

Question

Thank you for your advise. So in CA, anyone can open and operate optical shop legally with no special qualification and certification? If so, that's so sad...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Jill, unfortunately that's the case in many states. The District of Columbia, for instance, requires certification to wash hair in a beauty salon, but does not require certification to fit and dispense eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jill, not just anyone can open an optical shop. One must be ABO certified, but one can let the ABO certification expire, and it will not prevent them from operating at that location. However, if you move across the street, you need to be certified to get that location licensed.

Thank you for clarifying. Even though, as long as owner has a ABO that's all they require... Employees does not have to be anything but good sales person and any certified person doesn't have to be present to operate a business. It's just a sad story, I think, from employee's perspective.

OptiBoard Apprentice

A licensed optician must be on the premises at all times, except on vacations and lunch hours.

------------------

OptiBoard Apprentice

CA,

ABO and the Medical Board of Quality Assurance.

In 1988 I became ABO Certified in the State of California. At that time was registered with the Medical Board of Quality Assurance.
    They most certainly watch those ABOC. As when I left the STate I did not notify the Medical Board of Quality Assurance.

In offering on a home in 1998, ten years later. A lien showed up on my TRW. From the great state of California. In which I had to prove that I had physically left the State in 1990 , in order for that lien to be taken and cleared from the TRW report.

Interesting huh!

Yes, ABO is necessary in optical offices, aside from a office with a doctor on the premises during all opening hours.

Judy Parker

Thread Information