Thread: Briot Edgers??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Briot Edgers??

Anyone have any experience w/ the Briot edgers? Thumbs up, thumbs down? Service good or bad? Thanks again for all the great responses. :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I returned my Briot and would never look at one again!

Quote Originally Posted by kujake View Post
    Anyone have any experience w/ the Briot edgers? Thumbs up, thumbs down? Service good or bad? Thanks again for all the great responses. :)
    I bought a Kappa from Gerber and loved the product for a few years; until we got the Santinelli ME-1000. This is the best edger on the market, they have versions with less features but this is the king of the hill!

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Worked on a Briot years ago and while it had some issues it worked fine. We have a Gerber Kappa here and it also works fine. Like everything else, it works fine until it breaks and what breaks on these machines is the computer chips which in Gerbers favor are easily fixed. Oh and they won't break until the warranty is up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When the Briot Accura is healthy it is a very good edger, but to keep it healthy:
    1. It must be calibrated every other day
    2. It goes out of it's sequence for no reason and you have to start over.
    3. The camera is to tempermental.
    4. Replacement parts are VERY expensive and go up in price each time I order. Also parts that have to be replaced with normal maint. keep going up.
    5.Getting serviced takes an act of Congress and the minimum visit runs almost $500.00.
    6.A maint. contract went from $1900.00 two years ago to $3000.00 this year. THAT IS CORRECT $3000.00 + YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TECH TO COME ....ANOTHER $500.00.
    7. For 18 months our total maint. bill including the service contract, parts and office visits was over $8000.00
    The only positive I can give is that when you call service, the Techs are very good, but you better have a contact #.

We have this unit 5 years and when our contract comes to an end we are going to lease another brand.
    Briot is just too expensive to maintain and not reliable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Santinelli ME-1000. This is the best edger on the market, they have versions with less features but this is the king of the hill!

Craig
    I use a 15 year old Santinelli 7070. Its a workhorse. Its got around 70k cuts on it and has needed almost no serviceing at all. I am looking foward to checking out the new ME-1000 at the show.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Having been lucky enough to use every edger in the field at some point in my life, it is hard to pick a favorite. I am usually easily impressed and I really like them all. The Briot line of edgers are very nice and have some amazing technology. However, as opticman pointed out above, they can be very tempermental.

Our company professionally reconditions every proven manufacturer of edgers and I can honestly say that our Santinelli to Briot ratio is probably 10 to 1. But the technical support calls are probably equal. To me, that fact is proof enough which brand is most dependable.

In my experience, I love the Santinelli, Optronics, Gerber, Essilor, and Briot edgers. I like the others as well but getting parts and support can be challenging. If I were to pick an edger for my own lab that is built like a tank and requires little maintainance I would definately go with Santinelli and Optronics.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Nearly all the edgers on the market today are reasonably good but in my humble opinion you cannot beat the Nidek edgers for consistency and reliability.:) Try the new 1000 lex edger it is excellent and has new software which allows edging of wrap around sunspecs.

Thread Information