Thread: Edger Questions

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Edger Questions

I am in the process of replacing my old edger. I do roughly 10 jobs per day. I use AR on almost all my lenses, usaully clarion, alize, and some avance. I have been talking to a company, Vision Systems, Inc. about a Santinelli 7070 SX and 9000SX(refurbished). My question is (to those that have used them) whether this is a legit company to buy refurbished equipment? How is their service after the sale, etc.? Also to those who have experience w/ these two edgers: which is better and will they cut all materials including poly and will they cut the superhydrophobic AR's w/out slipping(avance, alize, clarion, etc.)? I really appreciate any insight any of you who have experience w/ or currently use this company or specifically these edgers. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by kujake View Post
    I am in the process of replacing my old edger. I do roughly 10 jobs per day. I use AR on almost all my lenses, usaully clarion, alize, and some avance. I have been talking to a company, Vision Systems, Inc. about a Santinelli 7070 SX and 9000SX(refurbished). My question is (to those that have used them) whether this is a legit company to buy refurbished equipment? How is their service after the sale, etc.? Also to those who have experience w/ these two edgers: which is better and will they cut all materials including poly and will they cut the superhydrophobic AR's w/out slipping(avance, alize, clarion, etc.)? I really appreciate any insight any of you who have experience w/ or currently use this company or specifically these edgers. Thanks.

Prepare for the inundation of effusive recommendations for Leo and VSI.:D
    I have had nothing but good experiences with them and I don't think you will find anyone who hasn't.
    Personally I would recommend the 9000SX for it's grooving ability. If you are happy with your current grooving situation, by all means get the 7070 - the workhorse of the patternless edgers.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard! Leo from Vision Systems is a member here. There's been nothing but praise for him here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prepare for the inundation of effusive recommendations for Leo and VSI.:D
    Ok I'll bite. I have bought 2 edgers from them in the last 2 1/2 years. No problems at all. Can't help with your choices, as I bought 2 kappa's. Kudos for the groove function , I love mine.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Ok I'll bite. I have bought 2 edgers from them in the last 2 1/2 years. No problems at all. Can't help with your choices, as I bought 2 kappa's. Kudos for the groove function , I love mine.

Any info on the ability of the 7070 to do the superhydrophobic or super-slick AR's. I guess that's my BIGGEST concern. Anyone have any experience using this particular machine w/ these coatings? Thanks again.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by kujake View Post
    Any info on the ability of the 7070 to do the superhydrophobic or super-slick AR's. I guess that's my BIGGEST concern. Anyone have any experience using this particular machine w/ these coatings? Thanks again.
    Yes the office I worked in prior to this one we used to cut crizal on the 7070, it worked just fine, I didn't even use any super duper pads or anything, just make sure to keep the wheel honed and replace it when it wears and you shouldn't have an issue with any edger.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have to jump in too - VSI is completely legitimate as far as selling good stuff and service goes.

Bought a 9000 SX Express from them last summer. I've talked to Dave and Fred (two of their service guys) at VSI a few times about random things and they've always helped me. Our 9000 has a "soft" mode which takes material off more slowly and keeps the AR coated lenses from twisting and/or crazing.

I would absolutely buy from them again.
    -Steve

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The key to edging the slippery coatings is leap pads and sharp wheels. You have to have both to edge successfully. Since we only use brand new wheels, that wont be a problem for many years. Just do not get suckered into buying bargain leap pads. One breakage will make those cheap leaps a lot more expensive.

Our company VSI has well over 1500 edgers currently working in the field today. We are staffed with the best of the best technicians and are extremely proud of our work and support after the sale.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    the best thing about vsi is the lifetime phone support you recieve and if you are machanicaly inclined you simply send them the error code # and replace the part yourself.It's all about warranty and costumer support.If your looking for automatic optidrill with complete computer and 20'' lcd screen i have one and it's only 4 yrs old.pm if interested.
    If you don't stand up, You don't stand a chance.

Thread Information