Thread: Trans. IV lightening taking to long

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trans. 6 lightening taking to long

I have now had a few (5) transitions 6 products in varying index, pwrs, multi vs sv and all of these lense get super dark outside but take on average 12 minutes plus to get to a sold I density. Is this the trade off for the extra dark lens?
    I well be attending the Transition & Hoya CE but not until Friday. What can I get today, lol.
    Last edited by chrome surfer; 03-11-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wrong product info

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hmmm...suppposed to get clearer about 4 minutes faster than its predecessors. You said 5 but did you mean 6? 6 is what just came out and has the 4 minute (roughly) faster time. you might also try the transitions website www.transitions.com

Jim, are you in here??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dah..

Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    I have now had a few (5) transitions IV products in varying index, pwrs, multi vs sv and all of these lense get super dark outside but take on average 12 minutes plus to get to a sold I density. Is this the trade off for the extra dark lens?
    I well be attending the Transition & Hoya CE but not until Friday. What can I get today, lol.

Yes, 6

Occupation

it is taking longer

It is taking longer . I got complains also, but didn't time it, I will try to time it next time.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Transitions VI fadeback

Hi Yvette and jameselex,
    All fadeback numbers are based at the lens being an ambient indoor temp (72°F,23 24°C). I see you are from Colorado and Canada respectively...These lenses are getting very dark in your locals, it is late winter but UV index is building, that and reflection from snow allow the energy that darkens photochromic lenses to be at its highest state.

That being said, coming indoors from the cold, the lenses will fade as fast as the combination of temp and good incandescent lighting (light source with an absence of UV, non fluorescent) will allow. Once the lens hits room temp it will fade much faster than when it is still cold from the winter chill.
    Indoor light is also a driver when coming indoors, if it is a dimly lit area, the lens will not fade as fast.

The fastest way to clear a winter darkened lens is to run the lens under warm water. I know this is not always possible and is inconvenient, but it works well in extreme conditions (severe cold with bright sunlight)

I advocate our Transitions brown lenses for people who need extra light to see clearly indoors. The lens is nearly as dark as the gray, but because of higher contrast, you can still read price tags, menus etc, when you walk in a building. Feedback from older patience when they switched to brown has been positive.

My wife is young and swears by her choice of brown. We visit the northeast Ohio snowbelt every winter, she never has a problem with extreme dark lens conditions and going into shops etc. That was her complaint with gray back in the Transitions III days. She has worn brown for almost 10 years. She is happy with it in Florida summers and Ohio winters.

I hope this helps, please call if you have questions.

regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So the lenses need non fluorescent lighting to change back quickly? At my home we have almost all low energy fluorescent lighting. Where I work the lighting is also fluorescent. How quickly do they change back under these lights?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi HappyLady,
    The only available numbers are at the 72° temp and a set amount of ambient light. The set up does not allow changing the lighting. It is an international accepted test method for photochromic properties.

Come to our seminars and get a voucher for a professional fit. If there are no seminars nearby, work with your lens rep to recieve one. The best way to evaluate a product is wear it for 60 to 90 days, by then you should have experienced most conditions and have a good idea of the performance.

best regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    So the lenses need non fluorescent lighting to change back quickly? At my home we have almost all low energy fluorescent lighting. Where I work the lighting is also fluorescent. How quickly do they change back under these lights?

Same here. Most people in the Springs have traded in their lights for the curley flurescent lights.

We are never happy:p

Occupation

not cold, no snow

Thanks for the information Jim. but I am on the west coast , and snow was long gone since december and it is not cold(7-8celsus, sometimes higher), I am going to time the lenses to see exactly how fast it is fading back, and I am going to comapre it with V.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    (7-8celsus, sometimes higher),
    Hi jameselex,
    Although 7-8°C is not that bad (45°-47°F), keep in mind that is still much colder than indoor temps. The 3 temps the industry measure performance is 10°/50°F,23°/73°F and 35°/95°F. Fade back is measured at 23° only (room temp).

At 10°/50°, Transitions VI Gray and Brown run about 8% Transmission.

That is pretty dark! The quicker the lens gets back to 73° and better lit the room, the faster the lens will clear out.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Fading Back

Hi Jim, The T6 turns dark grey on exposure to the direct sun light, but few minutes later it is slightly fading back. Please advise.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Year old thread

Hi Samuel
    Make sure the lens is in a well lit room, (incandecent light is best) absent from any uv source.

I believe the topic was covered pretty well in the other posts.

regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    Hi Samuel
    Make sure the lens is in a well lit room, (incandecent light is best) absent from any uv source.

I believe the topic was covered pretty well in the other posts.

regards,
    Jim
    Hi Jim,

Can you me know the thread about this topis? Thanks.

Regards,
    Samuel

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Hi Jim, What I meant was if the T6 exposured under the direct bright sun light for several minutes, then the darkness of T6 will slightly change lighter.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Jim, What I meant was if the T6 exposured under the direct bright sun light for several minutes, then the darkness of T6 will slightly change lighter.
    Hi Samuel,
    What you are describing is the lens darkened to its full state, and in full sun, the lens itself warmed up from its initial temp that it was when indoors. At 23°c the lens would darken to 12% Transmission, in full sun in your area, the temp will be at least 35°c, the lens will then back off to about 28%. The photochromic reaction hit its equalibrium, maxing out at whatever temp the lens reaches.

All photochromic lenses do this and have always done this. Transitions VI does it to a lesser extent of any product now or in the past.

best regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Thread Information