Thread: help

OptiBoard Novice

i have an old pair of frames i would like to have fitted for my prescription. the problem is i was told the equipment isn't around anymore. the lens hangs from a frame that just goes across the top. the lens appears to be dovetailed and slides into the frame or the frame was crimped. i don't think it was crimped or changing prescriptions would not be possible. they are more than just reading glasses as they correct for astigmatism in one lens. sorry that no picture is available. thanks, bert

OptiBoard Novice

Your frame sounds like an old Balgrip type. It is still possible to manufacture lenses for this frame. However, you may need to find a private Optician to do it. The chains won't touch it as it is "out of the assembly line motiff."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Bert and John,

Doesn't sound like a Bal-Grip- they were notched at the sides and held in by spring tension of a short length of "eyewire" with the notch appearing at the end of the "eyewire" (a small tab bent over the front of the lens to keep it in as well). This sounds more like a French mounting (the name escapes me) that used a silicon-like material that bonded the lens to the top of the eyewire. It was used originally on some of the earlier Welsh 4-drop aphakic lenses. It had to be sent to a special lab for the lenses to be mounted. We used to try to repair them with super glue, but it usually did not work out very well. Maybe one of the Optiboarders remembers the name of that thing- it just escapes me at the moment. Would suggest the next best thing to be an old A.O. Numont or Rimway with polycarb lenses. They'll hold your Rx OK and can take a lot of putting on and taking off without damage to the lenses. Some of the old dispensing optical companies might have one lying around or you can somethimes find them in thrift shops. The one you've got could probably be the first piece in your new "antique eyeglass collection".

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I actually used to fit a lot of thse back when (30 yrs), called a "polymil" mounting, the lenses were bonded to a plastic "browline" via a section of "rubber band" type material; then it slid up onto the metal brow bar and was secured with screws from the backside. Very unique product in it's day, since you had to use plastic lenses and they were a very new technology. I think we fit every doctor in Fort Worth with them! Hey, you might check with Ed Dietz at Dietz Labs in fort Worth, Tx.; they may still have some in a big drawer somewhere! Al.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The original 'polymil' mountings used a rubber band type of material - pre-adhesive, like double sided tape. You removed the paper on one side, mounted the lens to it, and then removed the other side and mounted to the frame. The concept was to be able to slide the PD to correct position without the need to grind much (if any) prism, and for cataract patients. Nice thin lenses with a max ED of around 50mm. These have been out of circulation for years. However, you can use a cut piece of rubber band and super glue. NOTE: be extremely careful with the super glue. If it gets on the front/back of lens(es) its tough to remove. DO NOT USE IF LENSES ARE POLYCARBONATE as the glue will fracture the lens edge.

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Al,

It was most certainly the polymil. We used to dispense cataract eyeglasses (before the days of IOLs) to patients and used Cataract Lens Labs in Florida to finish the product. I may even have a frame or two in a box out back. I believe they came in YG or WG only. That brings back a few memories.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Correction,people. I've only been doing this since 1975, but the correct and final answer to your query is "Will's Edge". The tops of the lenses were in fact dovetailed by a machine, then the lenses slid into the slot with a little help from canada balsam. I suspect putting new lenses is a lost cause.

Thread Information