Thread: Observations and Questions on Polarized Lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Observations and Questions on Polarized Lenses.

I have just received some samples and info on polarized lenses. I didn't know some of these colors were available. My first thought, being a fisherman was which colors would be best for fishing (seeing the fish, not the wearers comfort). Colors available : Gray C, Gray A, Neutral Gray, Yellow, Apple Green, Brown C, Brown A, Neutral Brown, Hi-con Amber, Sky Blue, Mira pol Blue, Mira pol Green, Copper, Solid Silver Mirror.

I also note: some of these lenses do not go fully opaque when 90 degrees opposed to each other. Is there something to the "fully polarized and non~polarized" that none of us had a clue on last time polarized lenses were discussed?

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip

I have noticed the same phenomenon with polarized lenses not being 100% polarized; it usually seems to occur with the lighter colors (Hobie's sightmaster or Costa del Mar's sunrise lens come to mind.) I've often wondered about this myself...
    As far as what colors work well for fishing: gray for offshore fishing, rose for sight and bass fishing and brown, amber or rose for onshore fishing.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip:

Who is the vendor? I didn't know you could order all of those colors either.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Chip,

I love talking about both: Sunwear and Fishing!

Just like fishing rods, I personally believe there are more or less appropriate polarized sunwear for a specific environment.

I wouldn't think of using my 4wt trout rod on muskies or using my 8wt bass rod for native brookies.

Diddo for sunwear! Prevailing conditions will require the most practical sunwear in that environment.

Morning and evening fishing usually require greater contrast sensitivity in lower light levels. Therefore, brown/amber colors deliver good performance through these conditions. Many fishermen favor this color since it is most functional for the times which they are able to spend on the water. On the other hand, mid day fishing with the sun directly overhead requires more diminished brightness to recognize additional comfort. In this situation, high density grey will be more practical. There are certainly many alternatives between these two extremes which can be tailored to an individuals specific optical needs.

I have sold tournament fisherman two pairs of polarized sunwear since they recognize their importance in the respective conditions.

The polarizing effect of a lens is indeed proportianal to the color density of the polarizing film used. This may explain why some lenses may appear more opaque than others.

Tight Lines
    Kevin

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jo
    KBCO is the vendor. The Apple Green and Sky Blue are new the rest have been around for quite a few years. Check their web-site www.kbco.net.

Jerry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A side note about polarized lenses: Careful with pilots.

The polarization often causes trouble with instrument guage covers, and often with the windshield. Polarization often gives a wavey look.

And polarization will kill a seaplane pilot. They use glare off the water to land, loss of glare will throw height judgement off when landing.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Thanks Jerry! I didn't know KBCo updated their site.

From the KBCo site:
    • THE AMOUNT OF POLARIZATION A LENS ACHIEVES IS PROPORTIONAL TO THE DENSITY OF THE FILM. THE LIGHTER THE FILM, THE LESS POLARIZATION A LENS CAN OFFER. TINTING A LIGHT POLARIZED LENS DOES NOT INCREASE ITS POLARITY. IT SIMPLY DARKENS THE LENS AND REDUCES BRIGHTNESS. TO ACHIEVE MAXIMUM POLARIZATION, YOU MUST USE A LENS THAT UTILIZES A DARK (GREY-C OR BROWN-C) FILM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Just to add to Harry's post, they also affect visualization of LED displays. These are becoming more and more popular in autos.

Occupation

Thumbs up

Actually, Polarized lenses are more of a problem with LCD displays than LED, different structure don't you know.

:cheers: Tim

Occupation
    My understanding of LCD displays is that they use a circular polarizing filter which then conflicts with the polarizing axis of sunwear which uses a linear polarizing filter.

My two pennies
    Kevin

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Great examples and explanations. This just goes to show why it is important to understand the optical products on the market. And as professional opticians - this is the stuff, when passed on / eplained to the consumer, gives us credibility.

Good thread.

I have also heard, although I have no supporting evidence, that professional golfers do not like to wear polaroids when playing. Anyone else heard anything along those lines?
    J. R. Smith

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    I myself prefer brown lenses they do suit most conditions, although I do use grey ocasionally when the sun is shining brightly. some people doubt their preformance but I never leave on a fishing trip without them.

I have heard that cheaper brands can let in harmful rays and damage your eyes

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Putting seems to be the problem....

I gave a pair of polarized glasses to the Asst Pro at Olde Barnstable Fairgrounds to demo.He thought they were great to drive to and from the course with but he said he found them impossible to putt with.I am assuming it was the angle he held his head vs the reflected light off the putting surface.They don't bother me much......but my putting stinks!

iocnnell-even the less expensive sunglasses today filter out the UV rays.Most of the inexpensive glasses of years ago did as well, but the optics were not as good.Fear not....your eyes are well protected today!

Good weekend all,
    harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Thanks TReynolds and PAkev. I meant LCD but typed LED.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Monovision

I say this toung in cheek as I do not approve of the practice even in contact lenses, but you could try selling the patient on Monovision and tell him how much better off he is than people that have binocular vision. It seems to work well for opthalmologist who merchandise thier own contact lenses.

Chip

Thread Information