Thread: Essilor Kappa

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor Kappa

We have been testing a Essilor Kappa edger at work for the last couple of days. It has all the bells & whistles. Can't decide on that machine or not.Does anyone have any input......be it good or bad,about this machine? :shiner:

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up kappa

This is a nice machine. it takes some of the brains out of optics but is really easy to use and maintain. Yes it does cost a little but it is worth it. I recommend direct water cooling and keeping it clean. I have had swarf build up in the area between the wheel and sink and that sucked to fix the first time. Software is screwed up when it comes to executives. Coburn-Essilor is aware and working on it. you just have to keep trying and it will eventually cut. Other than those little things it is a great machine that helps produce good loking eyewear and makes them EXACTLY as needed for the patient.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fly,
    Thanks for the info.Found out about the executives the hard way......important job.....bevel way,way, way to far back. Had to re-order the job, but found that by selecting the manual placement icon on the screen for bevels.......then pushing the % forward worked just fine. It cut it like a dream. i just wished they had brought that glitch up in the first place. Supposed to have a AIT Maxima in a day or so. Any info on that?:hammer: Once we get them running side by side,and compare the two, then it's time to make a decision.Again,thanks for the info.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW,
    Ended up getting the Kappa.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sean, you will like it. I am married to the older sister Gamma and Kappa is an improvement, will probaably trade her in at the end of the lease for the Kapp.

Happy edging, :cheers:

Homer

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sean,

I can't intelligently comment on the Essilor Kappa but I've had the Maxima for a little over a year now and am very satisfied. I found it to be my most practical choice at the time since it provided the many functions which would otherwise require additional equipment and lab real estate.

Not sure if you are considering the auto blocker but personally don't see any more advantages to it than their LED manual mini blocker.

My .02

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Homer,PAkev,
    Homer,go with the kapp. A little high on the $$.But she cuts like a dream.Although there is one or two software glitches that i'm aware of as far as exec's and autobevel on lenses less than 35mm on the B measurement. Been told the fix for this is soon to be released. But both of these problems at this point can be manually fixed with the current program.It's just good to know these problems before hand.Not like i did and found out a bit too late(see above post).Other than that .......smooth sailing. Also have been seriously thinking about the surfacing equipment that goes along with it.

PAkev went with the auto blocker. Glad to hear that the Maxima is working out. Both the kappa and the maxima are great machines. Had a tough time deciding between the two. Thank's guys for the input.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sean,
    hi, I am a Uk based practitioner, my Kappa has died on me, literally stone dead, Essilor Uk say it may be the main motherboard, and that its very difficult to diagnose problem and I should just buy replacement machine (surprise, surprise!)
    Do you know of any independent repair shops who would talk me through what is the likely problem, and supply me with recon parts as required?

thank you , Jeff Plaskow

Thread Information