Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE 9000 vs. Huvitz Excelon

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

LE 9000 vs. Huvitz Excelon

We are buying a new edger. It's pretty much down to a shoot out between these two. We are familiar somewhat with the Santinelli, but not so much with the Huvitz. Any opinions of current users of either product are appreciated.

Thanks-Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All edgers have pro's and con's, but the bottom line is service, service, service!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let me advise you to consider getting your new edger from Vision Systems Inc (VSI). Talk to OpticLabRat on Optiboard.

We bought a reconditioned LE 9000 SX Express from them last Summer and it saved us a lot of money initially, but also in that we have lifetime service with no costly annual service contracts. I call up with a question and Dave or Fred know the answers!
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Let me advise you to consider getting your new edger from Vision Systems Inc (VSI). Talk to OpticLabRat on Optiboard.

We bought a reconditioned LE 9000 SX Express from them last Summer and it saved us a lot of money initially, but also in that we have lifetime service with no costly annual service contracts. I call up with a question and Dave or Fred know the answers!
    I don't know why I see "lifetime service" mentioned so often when VSI is mentioned. Don't all the major edger companies offer this service for new and refurbished equipment that they sell?

Briot-YES
    AIT-YES
    GerberCoburn-YES
    Santinelli-YES (except the 7070 diagnosis charge?)

Let's face it, this is only phone support and does not include someone traveling to your location to repair the machine. They all charge for travel and tech labor on-site, as they should. I don't mean to knock VSI at all, from what I understand they do a great job at refurbishing equipment and appear to have a good reputation. I personally choose to purchase new equipment every few years so that I have the latest features to keep up with the changing markets in frame designs and especially lens materials. This allows me more time with patients and in my opinion more profit in the long run.

Just my 2 cents!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, but don't you pay for that service in the form of an annual service contract?
    -Steve

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    All edgers have pro's and con's, but the bottom line is service, service, service!!
    Yeah, but my question is more about the functionality. I know that the Santinelli/Nidek machine will do a great job. I don't have any experience with the Excelon. Do any of you? Our doctor has already talked to the VSI gang at SECO. If we buy the Santinelli it will probably be from them. I have informed him that VSI is well respected in this sometimes rabid forum. As much as this place picks things apart, that actually means something. :D Huvitz is relatively new in the US with only about 4 years in distribution so far. I'm having trouble finding someone that owns one.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Huvitz is relatively new in the US with only about 4 years in distribution so far. I'm having trouble finding someone that owns one.
    That should tell you something. Go with something you know. Our Santinelli is consistent.
    -Steve

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I shut down my computer a few hours and you guys are talking about me behind my back!!!!!!! LOL

As far as the original question.
    When the Excelon was introduced to the U.S. we had considered being the distributer. We brought it in and ran hundreds of cycles on it and also tore it apart to see how it works. We did a lot of R+D on the machine and I liked it a lot. It has a lot of the same technology as the 9000. The only thing I did not like was the angle of the screen. You need a short bench or be 7 feet tall to see it straight on.

That being said, we decided not to distribute a brand new machine because it really does not fit our business plan as a refurbishing company.

And as someone said before.....Service Service Service.
    Overall, I think it is a very nice machine.
    I do not know the level of service you will get on this machine.
    Find out if there are service people in your area. Do your homework. Everybody had to start somewhere.

Now for the VSI comments........
    We do give free telephone support to all of our customers. You almost never have to wait, or wait for a call back.
    It is in our best interest to solve your problem over the phone for free.
    That is not true for all manufacturers. And thats what sets us apart from the big boys.
    Our service people DO NOT get commission for selling parts. We still support old Briot 5000s that we sold 10 years ago.
    When you buy an edger from VSI, you will initially save thousands in the beginning and you will save many more thousands over the next ten years with our support.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Yeah, but don't you pay for that service in the form of an annual service contract?
    No. I believe that most of the service contracts state the fact of free phone service as an added benefit, but all of the major edger suppliers offer free phone support.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Leo,

Three questions: With a business format such as yours, are you ever afraid of the used market drying-up?
    What happens if any of the big boys decide to refurbish more themselves and shut you out of parts availability?
    How come I never see any refurbished Kappa systems available?

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    Leo,

Three questions: With a business format such as yours, are you ever afraid of the used market drying-up?
    What happens if any of the big boys decide to refurbish more themselves and shut you out of parts availability?
    Hi Thumbs,

The refurbished market has always been strong and has always grown by the year. I doubt it will dry up. Our customers love us and always come back. Our new customers get such great service they cannot believe they are buying a preowned product.

If the big boys refurbish themselves they will lose new edger sales. Thats not really good for business. And then they would also have to match our service and support on top of that. As far as parts availability, We have not had a problem with that in a decade. If we cannot get a part, we can have it made for us. Most of the time better than the original.

I sell at least one Kappa per month. It is a hot item and hard to keep in stock. They are usually preordered and thats why you do not see me advertising it.

I hope that answers your questions.

SORRY for the thread hijack!!!
    To the original poster.......... The Huvitz seems like a great machine:bbg:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because I have them. Just got the second.

End of hi-jack

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    stay away from huvitz!!! nidek all the way!!! huvitz problematic!!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    stay away from huvitz!!! nidek all the way!!! huvitz problematic!!!
    Is this first hand experience with many machines or what you've heard in the streets ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yes it is first hand experience!!! Stay away from huvitz

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I purchased a Huvitz a year ago. I've had zero problems. Rep shows up all the time to check on things. I've been running edgers for years, Coburn Rocket, AIT, WECO 440, Santinelli, Santinelli ME 1200, Essilor Kappa and a Daytona blade edger. The Kappa was the best workhorse and fast. The ME 1200 did the most stuff but was slow. The Huvitz is very accurate but still a little slow.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    I purchased a Huvitz a year ago. I've had zero problems. Rep shows up all the time to check on things. I've been running edgers for years, Coburn Rocket, AIT, WECO 440, Santinelli, Santinelli ME 1200, Essilor Kappa and a Daytona blade edger. The Kappa was the best workhorse and fast. The ME 1200 did the most stuff but was slow. The Huvitz is very accurate but still a little slow.
    I currently use a Huvitz excelon at one of my work places. So far so good.

It is slow compared to a Kappa, but it does nice work, and the one cut rate is about 90%.
    And for the price, it beats almost any Nidek machine, hands down.

You can almost buy two Huvitz HPE-8000's for the price of one ME-1200

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Yes it is first hand experience!!! Stay away from huvitz
    With how many machines have you had a bad experience ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been using this Huvitz Excelon edger for the last 3 years. This is my very first edger, and it is hard to make a comparison. This edger is affordable, fast and accurate most of time, but not always.

Soon after I purchased the machine, all the poly jobs came out with irregular edge surfaces. Technician came by and adjusted background water flow, and the problem seemed to be resolved. However, I still need to adjust the water supply valve for the poly jobs time to time to make sure the back ground water doesn't touch the lens.

Safety bevel doesnt get engaged on Retouch mode. If you reduce the diameter of the lens job by 0.25mm on retouch mode, since safety bevel is not engaged, the edge will be sharp as a knife. I had to purchase a seperate hand edger to make safety bevel myself. I wonder how other edgers are designed for this type of situation.

Time to time, more often lately, lenses get edged with a corner cut off, wrong axis, and ungrooved parts of edges. All of these problems seem to be caused from lens slippage. But, I wonder why it gets worse lately while I am using the same lenses.
    Last edited by thewall; 01-20-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea This tale of reality is worth reading and thinking about. $$$

Quote Originally Posted by thewall View Post
    I've been using this Huvitz Excelon edger purchased from Axis medical in Canada for the last 3 years. This is my very first edger, and it is hard to make a comparison. This edger is affordable, fast and accurate most of time, but not always.

Soon after I purchased the machine, all the poly jobs came out with irregular edge surfaces. Technician came by and adjusted background water flow, and the problem seemed to be resolved. However, I still need to adjust the water supply valve for the poly jobs time to time to make sure the back ground water doesn't touch the lens.

Safety bevel doesnt get engaged on Retouch mode. If you reduce the diameter of the lens job by 0.25mm on retouch mode, since safety bevel is not engaged, the edge will be sharp as a knife. I had to purchase a seperate hand edger to make safety bevel myself. I wonder how other edgers are designed for this type of situation.

Time to time, more often lately, lenses get edged with a corner cut off, wrong axis, and ungrooved parts of edges. All of these problems seem to be caused from lens slippage. But, I wonder why it gets worse lately while I am using the same lenses. Unfortunately, Axis medical's after sales service hasn't been as professional as I expected. They just seem not interested in visiting my office anymore.

If I can go back, I would purchase a more reliable brand name edger such as Nidek. Price may be much higher, but you get what you paid.
    As we launch LenSync and learn more about the various equipment in the industry with regards to finishing equipment it becomes obvious that: MEI rules the labs, Optronics rules the production facilities and Santinelli/Nidek rules the rest and with good reason.

This post is a story of you get what you pay for and we have found that to be the case as well; if you use a product that no one can say anything about the overall quality after using is for years, that is the value.

An edger is not the place to save $$ in the end.

I have run an ME1000 and ME1200 for over 10 years and they are still the best overall piece of equipment we have ever purchased and used everyday.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @thewall - For what its worth the Nidek9000 also does not safety bevel if you are taking the size down - but you should be getting one cut perfect fits around 90% of the time anyway. Also if the water pressure in your building goes up and down you may have problems with the rear water flow splashing on the wheels during a dry cut cycle - this is a problem in any edger and one you will have to adjust for.

That being said, yes craig is right the ME1200 and ME1000 are awesome and I wish to have one one day. I have also used some awesome kappas but my last one conked out and we switched to this refurbished 9000sx and it is a beast.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a valve to ensure consistent pressure and it works perfect.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We have a valve to ensure consistent pressure and it works perfect.
    Yeah I guess I have a solenoid on my 9000sx too but if there are massive water pressure changes (only has happened when I switched from pump to fresh water). I adjust it sometimes maybe once a year and then only slightly, the ME might have different set ups.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Yeah I guess I have a solenoid on my 9000sx too but if there are massive water pressure changes (only has happened when I switched from pump to fresh water). I adjust it sometimes maybe once a year and then only slightly, the ME might have different set ups.
    We added a pressure valve prior to the water solenoids to ensure the pressure is consistent.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

8 Year f/u of Huvitz

Time does fly!! I thought it would be fair to follow up with my initial review on the Huvitz edger. It has been good 8 years since I purchased Huvitz Excelon. The edger has not caused any trouble so far. Some of the lenses with new AR coat slipped during edging, but it resolved with anti-slip stickers. No other problems... Knock on the wood..

Thread Information