Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lenscrafters 30 day return policy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lenscrafters 30 day return policy

They want us to believe that they GIVE the returned eyewear to Gift of Sight..... If that were true, wouldn't there be alot of homeless people wearing Prada, Dolce&gabana and Polo

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The tax write off for a Prada is worth a lot more then the manufacturing of the frame.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    members on the board have pointed out before that Lux is restocking those products that are returned.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a walk-in customer ask me yeaterday.."what is your policy on glasses? What if I buy them and then don't like the frame?" To which I replied.."Our policy is that you love them before you decide to buy them". She laughed and ended up buying a beautiful pair that she assured me she loved(we'll see). When the situation calls for it we do refund but never say so ahead of time. The last refund was to a patient who we decided was a "danger to self and others". Better to be done with it. If LC is giving returned Prada frames to charity I'd be surprised.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    members on the board have pointed out before that Lux is restocking those products that are returned.

Can that be proved?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Can that be proved?
    It came from LC employees. They have said that they were told to clean it up and put it back on the shelf

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Another unseen affect is that it puts their competition, who are often opperating on much different costs, at a huge dissadvantage.

They would love if this policy became the industry standard. Isn't it already? You tell a patient they are out of luck when they come back complaining, you no longer have a patient. Lux knows this doesn't happen enough to make a huge effect on their bottom line, but it can only hurt their competition.

Who really knows what they do with their returned frames. Of course, when you sell two or three pair of specs to each person, whats one pair returned?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Everytime I see that commercial I give the TV the finger

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    It came from LC employees. They have said that they were told to clean it up and put it back on the shelf

So you work for LC? Just wondering!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly47 View Post
    Everytime I see that commercial I give the TV the finger

Which finger? :cheers:

Occupation
    No thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can that be proved?
    I work with 2 ex-LC employees (one a manager). They would both confirm to you that they resell the frames. They even make a point of saving display lenses for that purpose. I doubt charity would mind if they were glazed or not so I don't think they save 'em for charity...;)

Proof? No, but I'm good with the word of either of my coworkers...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    I work with 2 ex-LC employees (one a manager). They would both confirm to you that they resell the frames. They even make a point of saving display lenses for that purpose. I doubt charity would mind if they were glazed or not so I don't think they save 'em for charity...;)

Proof? No, but I'm good with the word of either of my coworkers...
    Last edited by FullCircle; 03-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Occupation
    I wonder if they use the same policy for their contacts

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I served my 6 years of hell in LC. As Lab Manager and the only certified optician in the store, I can tell you that unless the frame is totally trashed, it gets new demos cut and put back on the board usually the day it comes back.

Take a look next time you can stomach a trip to LC. You will notice a lot of frames without any branding on their lenses. These are restocked frames.

My GM was so tight that he would make us edge down the old lenses to a new frame if there was any way they would possibly fit.

Gift of Sight is a great program if it was handled better. I have implemented a lot of its community benefits at the private OD I work for.

My 2 cents.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I served my 6 years of hell in LC. My 2 cents.
    only 6 yrs. you are a smart man for leaving early....I served 7 yrs. and I agree unless they are completely thrashed they would make us edge a new set of demos.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenscrafters makes a big deal about being able to return glasses within 30 days but their warranty on their glasses is poor. If a frame is defective and breaks you have to pay 50% of it's price for a new one. Scratched lenses, again 50%.

I bowl with a woman who bought some sunglasses there and had a problem with the frame. They gave her a huge runaround about replacing it but they finally said they would. She really had to complain, though and the store manager had to aprove it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LC's 30 days policy is, imho, is the single worst policy ever instituted in our profession. (right behind BOGO's) Is there any other ways to de-value our services/pricing any more? Please tell me something in the average person's life that they get that is more customizable, variable, and essential to their daily functions. Now then, we can just scrap all of our time to help the patient find a good "fit" for their lifestyle and budget, only to pick-up the cost of their fickle, non-committal life.

This policy further enforces the assumption that eyewear is cheap, and that we are all charging an exorbanate price for "a couple a pieces of plastic and a hunk of metal".

All I can say to anybody reading this...there is life without Lux. I find it amazing that a company that touts there "quality" denigrates the same product they sell. Keep buying them and expect more denigration of our profession and what we offer.

rant/off

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Three Cheers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    LC's 30 days policy is, imho, is the single worst policy ever instituted in our profession. (right behind BOGO's) Is there any other ways to de-value our services/pricing any more? Please tell me something in the average person's life that they get that is more customizable, variable, and essential to their daily functions. Now then, we can just scrap all of our time to help the patient find a good "fit" for their lifestyle and budget, only to pick-up the cost of their fickle, non-committal life.

This policy further enforces the assumption that eyewear is cheap, and that we are all charging an exorbanate price for "a couple a pieces of plastic and a hunk of metal".

All I can say to anybody reading this...there is life without Lux. I find it amazing that a company that touts there "quality" denigrates the same product they sell. Keep buying them and expect more denigration of our profession and what we offer.

rant/off

Bravo on a fantastic, blunt and sad but true post!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    My GM was so tight that he would make us edge down the old lenses to a new frame if there was any way they would possibly fit.
    I can't fault the guy for that. I would do exactly the same thing if it were possible. Stock lens isn't worth my time. And chances are that a PAL won't fit correctly. So it wouldn't happen very often

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've got a similar policy though!

We have the same kind of policy.

"If for any reason, you are not completely, 100%, beyond any sliver of doubt, satisfied, we will sell you another pair.

No questions asked!
    :bbg:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the VPs of Lenscrafters was on a panel at Vision Expo. After a bit of prodding, he stated that their return rate under the "30 day happiness guarantee" is about 2%.

Think about this. If the increase in sales due to the "happiness guarantee" brings in more money than the wholesale an cost of an extra 2% of your eyewear, then you have made money. If they are able to resell 1/2 of the frames, and at Lenscrafter's astronomical margins, they are no doubt making money on the deal.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    I can't fault the guy for that. I would do exactly the same thing if it were possible. Stock lens isn't worth my time. And chances are that a PAL won't fit correctly. So it wouldn't happen very often

It wasn't just SV lenses. If the lens would fit it was to be cut down. PAL's & FT's too. If the seg was close and the axis was tolerable to the pt we wouldn't remake lenses, just cut down the existing.

Then he would have to manually adjust the inventory status of the lenses to account for not processing them, or, after he had done this a few times he learned to hide the lenses that were "used" for the remake to save breakages so his bonus would be better. (A very honorable and upstanding example of LC management). Last I heard he was next in line for a regional position.

Just glad I left when I did.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Luxottica must be getting in a pinch to find people to work for them. We are on vacation in OH and there are Help Wanted Billboards up on the highways!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No wonder our local prison is training the inmates to be opticians. One of the guards just brought in two pair of glasses with progressive lenses. I guess they have not gotten around to teaching pd and seg ht yet. He cant see well but the price was good $75 for two frames and tinted progressive lenses.

Thread Information