Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ontario Optometrists' Restrictions - Time for positive change?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I like the idea. I can dilate the person, examine the fundus, do a glaucoma test, test for binocular functioning and note it's impact relative to the refractive error. Being the receptionist I can also answer the phone and do the filing. Is $10/hour asking too much?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    I like the idea. I can dilate the person, examine the fundus, do a glaucoma test, test for binocular functioning and note it's impact relative to the refractive error. Being the receptionist I can also answer the phone and do the filing. Is $10/hour asking too much?

Yes,$8.00/hr is more like it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Ideal for both. The 'mine' thinking wouldn't exist. An even split on all start up costs, investments, revenues and expenses and each makes the same salary. Any profits after year end are paid out as dividends to each share holder, hopefully only 2. It's simple and would work. OD's and opticians would have to check their egos and differences at the door and stop being so territorial and narrow minded. I would do it in a heartbeat.
    Why would any OD split exam fees?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    I would like to see the eye exam split up so that a patient would go to an optometrist for an eye health screening only, for a small fee. Then with a "healthy eyeball certificate" they would come into my dispensary to have a free refraction done by my receptionist.

Of course, she would be a fully certified opticianry assistant. The OPTICIANS ASSOCIATION could offer a short course in refraction to train her for this purpose.

Then if the province would lift the free association ban, I could have the freedom to hire a receptionist/optometrist to do this job at a fair hourly wage.
    Im sure lots of ODs would be jumping at the chance to do this?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry the truth

It is very easy to see after reading all of the opinions expressed so far, that opticians want some more influence as to the prescribing and availability of prescriptions. Opticians want something that they could have had many years ago(refracting for a valid rx), however, opticians are a very complacent group of people that given the medium will complain to the high heavens that **** is not fair but when it comes down to actually doing something about it, they are too busy. Opticians as a group cannot seem to get organized to get any progress towards achieving professional goals. The one main association is more concerned about giving a ****ing optician of the year award to some a-hole and bending over for the lobby groups than they are at actually achieving any goals. Optometrists on the other hand, although they couldn't measure a seg height if their life depended on it, were able to push the OMA into giving them TPA's.

Opticians will NEVER gain any progress on any issue, be it refracting, delegating, professional associations, deregulation, unless we get organized. Organization is the way forward. I am tired of pussy opticians who love to complain but don't do **** about it.

Don't take this reply as a slam against opticians but rather a reality check. When the rest of you opticians are ready to get organized and make some ****ing progress give me a shout.

til then, peace out!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by opti-refractonator View Post
    Don't take this reply as a slam against opticians but rather a reality check. When the rest of you opticians are ready to get organized and make some ****ing progress give me a shout.

til then, peace out!
    Sounds pretty complacent to me. "Call me when you are ready"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just as i thought

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    Actually I was thinking, the receptionist can dilate, perform goldman, binocular function and refract. You can do the rest.

And instead of $10/hour, how about $0.50 per fundus (half pair)? That way, if you see 12 patients an hour it works to your advantage.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pussy opticians
    I've seen my share of those!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is very easy to see after reading all of the opinions expressed so far, that opticians want some more influence as to the prescribing and availability of prescriptions. Opticians want something that they could have had many years ago(refracting for a valid rx), however, opticians are a very complacent group of people that given the medium will complain to the high heavens that **** is not fair but when it comes down to actually doing something about it, they are too busy. Opticians as a group cannot seem to get organized to get any progress towards achieving professional goals. The one main association is more concerned about giving a ****ing optician of the year award to some a-hole and bending over for the lobby groups than they are at actually achieving any goals. Optometrists on the other hand, although they couldn't measure a seg height if their life depended on it, were able to push the OMA into giving them TPA's.

Opticians will NEVER gain any progress on any issue, be it refracting, delegating, professional associations, deregulation, unless we get organized. Organization is the way forward. I am tired of pussy opticians who love to complain but don't do **** about it.

til then, peace out!
    Opticians are organized and making progress...and we certainly will not require your services on our bandwagon. And I'm assuming from this post, you are the recipient of this year's 'A-hole' Award. Congratulations.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

progress

yes you are right, great progress that opticians have made in the last few years. We have relaxed our tolerances on lens fabriction and gave away most of our duties through delegation. BC opticians are a dime a dozen in Ontario now with their 8 month opticianry course. Our COO cannot seem to get great glasses to stop the bull**** that they are running. There is no direct vision of what our main associations seem to be fighting for.

I know that this board is sponsored by transitions (winner/sponsor of Optician of the year) but if you think for a minute that i give a **** and i may censor my comments than you are foolling yourself. Opticians in the lensc/walm/costc/any chain need to realize that they are earning money for companies that are trying to change the industry in their benefit. It Is okay to work for them but only if they support our profession and not go behind our backs to lobby against us. Wake up and smell the bed of **** that we have made for ourselves. We keep complaining about od's yet they have never gone to our coo or oma and lobbied against us.

If you would like to have a debate about what our 'leaders' have done for opticianry so far, i will be coutreous and let you start. Please start with real improvements that have happened in the last five years and don't tell me about the pioneers and icons that were true leaders back in the 70's and 80's. I have much respect for those who started the industry and taught in colleges.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thanks for the invite, but your comments would be better heard and addressed if they were sent to the appropriate body. Their address is listed on the back of your badge. I agree it's frustrating at times, but forwarding concerns in a professional manner will result in a professional response.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    delete

Thread Information