Thread: Nikon Progressive in US?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question Nikon Progressive in US?

Does Nikon market any progressives in the US market or just canada?

John

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by au; 02-21-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: add information

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Nikon in the US

Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Does Nikon market any progressives in the US market or just canada?

John
    Walmart

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

WalMart in US, High End in Canada?

Interesting, because the folks in Canada that I met and were telling me about it were a very high end shop (lowest frame $300+) with prices as high as $1500 for frames.

Oddly, I don't see Nikon listed as a brand in lensguru.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Interesting, because the folks in Canada that I met and were telling me about it were a very high end shop (lowest frame $300+) with prices as high as $1500 for frames.

It is positioned much differently in Canada. While there is a partnership with Essilor, in Canada it is much more of a competitor.

Personally, I find the company overly overrated (see how many times I can put the word "over" next to itself). It is not that the company does not have good products. It is that those who dispense it seem to believe that the company is 1000 years ahead of everyone in technology. Personally, I have found the lens product good, but not great. As for the coating, it still fails compared to Alize.

Ohh and keep in mind that the offering in Canada is different than the US. I think in the US its PALS are the Presio 13 and 15. In Canada it has the Seemax, i, Go, and Privledge.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have one lens currently listed, the Presio 13i. They make a couple of different lenses, including a Presio 15i. There has been so little information available that I put this one lens in and decided to sort it out later but have never really felt comfortable with the data I've seen posted for it. Part of the problem is that it actually is an Essilor product but distributed by Shore Lens. The info on Shore's website is minimal but you may wanna check out what they have to offer on this page. There is no information available from Essilor. If you need any help reading the data on the page I included, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nikon...Not my First or Second or Third or....

Not a good lens at all. I have a friend who works at a place were they are told it is the greatest lens available and he has problems with it. He often uses the Varilux Comfort, which I think is still a great lens, because it is the only "non-company" or non-junk lens he has access too. The AR coating provided is also junk and lasts about a year, if you can clean it without touching the surface of the lens, and when sold with the Nikon rimless frames they offer he has a reject rate of over 20% BEFORE the customer ever sees them. Even though he says the company says it doesn’t use one of their labs, a tacit acknowledgement of their inability, the quality is not much better.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I noticed that the 1.74 stock lens is listed as a Shore lens product, which is owned by Essilor. Nikon also has an office/NVF lens, I think.
    Wal-Mart sells Nikon lense and frames, so I don't.

I can't comment on the quality personally.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikon has a great group of Progressives !

Currently wearing a Presio 15 and Love it !

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikon, is currently severing their ties with Essilor because of the cheapening of the brand.

As per the opti - poop out and about!
    Last edited by Eyesguys; 03-07-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Hadnt finished the post

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Eyesguys;232307]Nikon, is currently severing their ties with Essilor because of the cheapening of the brand.

Which brand, or both!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not sure! I wa told by another optician that they were having great success with the Nikon lenses and a local lab has now begun generating them and doing the Nikon coatings as well, so I tried the product.

My patients have really liked them and I personally am wearing the Presio 15.

The info I was given is that they had a relationship with essilor and was unhappy with the way they had cheapened the Nikon name by having it go to Walmart, etc, they were going to cut the ties and relaunch their products in the US.

Occupation
    Good Lens - Bad Lens (does it really matter)
    We've established that the product is offered by Wal*Mart

Why would any independent office want to support a product that's available at retail?

Hey guys and gals, if you look around you may discover other vendors that don't support retail outlets or discount chains!

Occupation
    Several negative comments about the above post have been made in PM

I’m not suggesting or recommending a particular supplier. I work with providers that complain about Wal*Mart and Sterling (Site for Sore Eyes) having the same product as they do. They complain and complain yet many of these professionals are unwilling to do much about it.

There are tons of Internet sites (both frame and lenses) selling frames and complete jobs directly to the consumer. Web sites like www.39dollarglasses.com, www.eyeglasses.com and www.EyelabOnline.com feature and highly discount "professionally available" products. I recommend that providers do a Google (formally Froogle) product search www.google.com/products to see if their favorite frame or lens products are available online.

If you work for a chain - well you’ve got to sell what you got! If you don’t, why not support suppliers that maintain the integrity of their products by not providing special deals or pricing to mass merchants?
    Last edited by Bill Mahnke; 03-12-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Last edited by Leapfrog; 03-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nikon in US

I was provided with literature and cutout charts for the Presio i and Nikon Online lenses from Nova Opt Lab in Orangeburg, NY and have added them to TheLensGuru.com site this morning. You can see what I was able to get here -> Presio i

I'm not sure about the i13/i15 designation but believe it is available in 2 different corridor lengths. The literature I got made no reference to either i13 or i15 so I did not note it in their listings. If anyone has some factual information regarding the Presio i13/i15 designations I would be willing to try to identify each with it's own listing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier You are 100% correct; ignore the PM's!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mahnke View Post
    Several negative comments about the above post have been made in PM

I’m not suggesting or recommending a particular supplier. I work with providers that complain about Wal*Mart and Sterling (Site for Sore Eyes) having the same product as they do. They complain and complain yet many of these professionals are unwilling to do much about it.

There are tons of Internet sites (both frame and lenses) selling frames and complete jobs directly to the consumer. Web sites like www.39dollarglasses.com, www.eyeglasses.com and www.EyelabOnline.com feature and highly discount "professionally available" products. I recommend that providers do a Google (formally Froogle) product search www.google.com/products to see if their favorite frame or lens products are available online.

If you work for a chain - well you’ve got to sell what you got! If you don’t, why not support suppliers that maintain the integrity of their products by not providing special deals or pricing to mass merchants?
    All i read about is independents buying as much as possible from the 800 pound gorilla and complaining when they sell to walmart or costco. Maybe it is time to actually look at some other lenses; we use as little varilux product as possible. I used to work for them and understand marketing 101. Don't belive everything they print!!!

Craig

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nikon progressive lens is disturbed in India also

Bad address email on file sumit082's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nikon salesperson would be coming to my office on wednesday..lets see what they have ?

Rising Star
    Occupation

All that "information" without what's really matters

Quote Originally Posted by au View Post

Why don't they provide power and cylinder maps?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Nikon is ---------------------------> Essilor

Nikon is ---------------------------> Essilor

Asia
    Essilor International acquired a majority stake in Integrated Lens Technology (ILT), a Singapore-based ophthalmic lens distributor that serves Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America.

In China, Nikon Essilor acquired all outstanding shares of Nikon Beijing, its local distributor.

http://pharmalicensing.com/public/ne...r_2007_Results

Thread Information