Thread: Matching base curves

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I saw something about matching base curves on one of the replies to the lens materials post if the Doctor requests.The problem I see quite a bit is that a patient is going from a spheric to an aspheric design which should be on a flatter base curve, yet the Opticians sends it to the lab asking to match the base curve because it's written on the rx. Any one else run into this dilemna.
    Rich R

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, Call the Doc and kindly tell him the lens the patient wants is aspheric and and will require a slightly flatter curve. If there is a real reason for his notation he will tell you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have run into this more times than I care to count. Even have had docs have it preprinted on their Rx sheets. They of course don't take into account the fact that someone might be getting a cataract and all of a sudden have one eye get more minus, or the customer switching over to an aspheric lens, becoming more myopic or hyperopic in general, etc. They need to go back to their textbooks and look up the proper definition of a base curve and what is necessary to keep the inside curves similar, not necessarily the front. I usually call the doc and go thru the math with the either the doc or her/his tech, although that sometimes doesn't do the trick either. The subject has frustrated me enough so that I even had a unit in an ophthalmics class I taught entitled "Those Three Little Words: Duplicate Base Curve".

Perhaps other Optiboarders out there can put in their two bits and let us know how they have handled this.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by lguess (edited 07-04-2000).]

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Lguess!!
    I completely agree with you have experienced the same thing you described as well. We also had recently a man in his 80's who was prescribed 4.5bo prism and had never had it before. This man had also had cataract surgery a few years ago. He had some kind of cloudy fluid behind the eyes(not really sure what that was)Bottom line is the doctor(not our regular doc) should have referred him to the opthamologist rather than just give him something that would have just ended up being a remake. When the man came in I told him that I would not make his gls for him, and that we(our reg doc and myself) felt that he needed to go to the MD and we sch. him an appointment. I have no idea what the outcome ended up being. It was pretty bad that it even happened. I suppose that no one is perfect, but geez that was a big mistake.
    Have a great day!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Actually, there are very few times that base curves are any particular problem, since most lens designs, say like a Varilux Panamic, are only made on specific base curves, and certain power ranges are generally obvious! The problems come on those borderline powers, where it could easily work ok on a +4.50 or a 5.50 or a 6.50, so what were the wearing in their old glass?, how much did their rx change plus or minus?, or perhaps they are going to get polarized comforts and those aren't made on a 6.50, so why make their regular pair on a 6.50? The whole issue is an applied optics issue to be dealt with by the optician. The big issue with the docs is that they want some continuity that will enable their pt an easier adjustment. In some aneisokonic situations, it might even be required to flip-flop regular base curves in order to help control magnification differences. We really just need to know what we're doing and don't just write the rx power on an order sheet and let the lab decide via base curve charts what base curve to run the job on. we should not abdicate that responsibility!. Al.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Al,

I agree with you 100%. Many times I have actually sat down with the customer and gone thru the math with her/him to show why she/he needs a different base curve from prior Rx or even different base curves between the two lenses (the math ain't that difficult!) We need to not only educate our customers but also in some cases educate the refractionist.Unless they are total hide-bound idiots, most refractionists will listen to reason and agree with our findings.

Thread Information