Thread: Help, Gerber Chiller

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Exclamation Help, Gerber Chiller

Need help, the chiller to our Eclipse blocker isn't reaching operating temperature.

Here's the scenario, I came in after the power went out and the chiller isn't working all that great. The temperature was 86o that was yesterday, I checked the voltage coming in from the eclipse and it's at 120 plus or minus, I checked the pump and it's operating and the coolant is flowing, I checked the level of coolant and it's was a bit low, but I topped it off and it's in check now. The temperature since yesterday has gone down to 72o, which is headed in the right direction, but I need it at or around 50 - 55o. Any ideas on what it could be guys/gals. I have a call in to the gerber people but they're never really a help on the phone and it will be 2 hours before they call so if anyone can help here I would be forever gratefull.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Harry...

We had a similar problem here a couple months ago. When we checked the coolant level it was low so we topped it off. It didn't seem to do much, it went down a little. Then we reset our temp. to about 5 degrees lower than we normally do and it seemed to suddenly go back to work for us. Once the temp. was down we reset to the previous temp. and it held steady. We also noticed at the time that we had let too much "clutter" build up around the cooler and I think it was having air flow problems so make sure your's isn't blocked off from plenty of air. I agree about Gerber's phone help, they take too long to respond to things like that. Good luck! Chris.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    We had a similar problem here a couple months ago. When we checked the coolant level it was low so we topped it off. It didn't seem to do much, it went down a little. Then we reset our temp. to about 5 degrees lower than we normally do and it seemed to suddenly go back to work for us. Once the temp. was down we reset to the previous temp. and it held steady. We also noticed at the time that we had let too much "clutter" build up around the cooler and I think it was having air flow problems so make sure your's isn't blocked off from plenty of air. I agree about Gerber's phone help, they take too long to respond to things like that. Good luck! Chris.
    Did you set the temp lower on the chiller or in the blocker?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Need help, the chiller to our Eclipse blocker isn't reaching operating temperature.

Here's the scenario, I came in after the power went out and the chiller isn't working all that great. The temperature was 86o that was yesterday, I checked the voltage coming in from the eclipse and it's at 120 plus or minus, I checked the pump and it's operating and the coolant is flowing, I checked the level of coolant and it's was a bit low, but I topped it off and it's in check now. The temperature since yesterday has gone down to 72o, which is headed in the right direction, but I need it at or around 50 - 55o. Any ideas on what it could be guys/gals. I have a call in to the gerber people but they're never really a help on the phone and it will be 2 hours before they call so if anyone can help here I would be forever gratefull.
    I assume it has a radiator and you have blown the dust out of the heat exchanger?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

On the blocker...

Did you set the temp lower on the chiller or in the blocker?

On the Blocker harry. We never changed anything on the chiller itself.

Occupation
    I don't like Gerber, their service sucks. It took them six hours and three phone calls to tell me that I need to cal an HVAC guy to check it out, apparently the only guy that knows anything about the unit is out sick. So now the HVAC guy comes in and tells me that this unit is a sealed system and that he would have to send it out to have a valve put on it to replace the freon in it. A new one from the manufacturer copsts $600.00 but it takes 2 weeks, so chance are if I know gerber they're going to charge us $1,200.00 and I am going to be swamped all next week.

Thanks in advance gerber for a bang up job. (Sorry guys/gals I'm just venting)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Feel your pain.....

I know the feeling Harry. I've been waiting two months to have someone named _____ from tech support tell me where is the scanner I sent him 3 months ago to be programmed. Just my luck I'm unable to locate my UPS reciept so I can track it to Gerber for a signature. I'll eventually get there but why does it always have to involve drama, suspense, and Expense?!

Oh yes, and then like you said, busting our humps to play catch up when it's finally over!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't like Gerber, their service sucks. It took them six hours and three phone calls to tell me that I need to cal an HVAC guy to check it out, apparently the only guy that knows anything about the unit is out sick. So now the HVAC guy comes in and tells me that this unit is a sealed system and that he would have to send it out to have a valve put on it to replace the freon in it. A new one from the manufacturer copsts $600.00 but it takes 2 weeks, so chance are if I know gerber they're going to charge us $1,200.00 and I am going to be swamped all next week.

Thanks in advance gerber for a bang up job. (Sorry guys/gals I'm just venting)
    Is it me or is bashing and complaining all you ever do on this forum? You should learn how to communicate your problems with the companies that you have problems with by going directly to the management or sales rep that is in your area for help in resolving isssues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I know the feeling Harry. I've been waiting two months to have someone named _____ from tech support tell me where is the scanner I sent him 3 months ago to be programmed. Just my luck I'm unable to locate my UPS reciept so I can track it to Gerber for a signature. I'll eventually get there but why does it always have to involve drama, suspense, and Expense?!

Oh yes, and then like you said, busting our humps to play catch up when it's finally over!
    What scanner did you send them and what are you using it for? All scanners come with an owners manual can easily be programed for whatever use they are capable of be used for. I may have the scanner that you need and will happy to send it to you at no charge.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    Is it me or is bashing and complaining all you ever do on this forum? You should learn how to communicate your problems with the companies that you have problems with by going directly to the management or sales rep that is in your area for help in resolving isssues.
    Yep, moaning and groaning is all I do, deal with it. Anyway the update, I opened up the chiller and it seems that a line from the freon was corroded and I am assumeing that the freon leaked out, the line looks like it's screwed on, on both ends so I am having a buddy of mine who's a HVAC tech come out and take a look at it tommorow should be a simple fix, I hope and it'll give me a chance to catch up with an old friend. If you thik I am moaning an groaning too much it's becuase lately I have seen a decrease in customer service across many different vendors.

Occupation
    I called the manufacturer of the chiller and they ahve them listed for $700.00 on their site, but they said they require a two week lead time and I asked what the quickest they could have one sent to us, the lady said she would give me a call. I turned around and called Gerber to see if they had any in stock, and to ask for a price. The gerber tech quotes me $1800.00 and I say that's OK as I can get one for less and he says not this model and I made the mistake of telling him the manufacturer sells them direct for half the cost. 20 minutes after I hang up the manufacturer calls and says they can't sell it to me because Gerber is a customer, I asked what made them think I am a customer of gerber and they said your a Pearle Vision, I did not give them our dba, I gave them Diane Bernitt and Associates, so when I confronted her I asked if Gerber gave her a call and she got quiet, I told her you make your bed and now you gotta sleep in it, I'll just buy another aquatic chiller from an aqarium shop down the road at half the cost.

If anyone runs into this problem: Exotic Aquatics: 1/4hp aquatic chiller.

Thread Information