Thread: Profession ABO peers please read

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Profession ABO peers please read

Ok, so I began a new job, hired as a lab mgr and off. mgr. walks in and states that they are not concerned if the jobs are coming in fr. lab correct. Don't ck p.d.'s , b.c., lens thickness, and if the rx is near go ahead and pass.......ok.....um....I am a technical freak and I have been in the field over a decade and for a high end practice in a busy public location to even suggest to me such, makes me wonder. I have tho'ts as to why but want to protect my identity......

How would you react? I am horrified and angered by this! Prior to me there was a long term optician, not sure of technical skill level but according to the past jobs I have studied......near to none.

Do any of you have this type of mgmt experiences?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I worked for a place inwhich the managers would belittle everyone just to make themselves feel better and the worst thing about it they would'nt even now how to do it thereself, but are the first to complain.I mean supervisors in the finishing department who does'nt even have a clue on how to use a lensometer,tint,drill mounts,but still are the first to complain just to create a hostile work enviroment.I think todays labs include this behavior in their policy:hammer:that they keep hidden under their desk as they hand out the rest of the company policy manual:D:D:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post
    Ok, so I began a new job, hired as a lab mgr and off. mgr. walks in and states that they are not concerned if the jobs are coming in fr. lab correct. Don't ck p.d.'s , b.c., lens thickness, and if the rx is near go ahead and pass.......ok.....um....I am a technical freak and I have been in the field over a decade and for a high end practice in a busy public location to even suggest to me such, makes me wonder. I have tho'ts as to why but want to protect my identity......

How would you react? I am horrified and angered by this! Prior to me there was a long term optician, not sure of technical skill level but according to the past jobs I have studied......near to none.

Need more info. Type of practice? Independant or group? Other staff opticians?? Jobs not coming in right from your own lab? My initial thought is a possible power struggle. The office manger is laying ground work. Who's the real boss, Doc, Docs, corporate? This will tell a lot.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Eye's For You.

It's nothing to be ashamed about, alot of us one time or another have worked for such an establishment. But you as the new Lab manager, May want to sit back a couple of weeks, to see if: 1. Are Patients coming back with problems with there glasses, #2. If the Office manager is the real person in charge or are perhaps the Doctors. If there is someone over her perhaps there not aware of the issues that are happening with the current management. This would be a good opportunity for you to write up a new lab operations manual, a job inspection protical. And have a meeting with all involved parties to present what you as the new lab manager wants to achieve to make the practice flow more easly and have happier pt. and more return business. YOU WILL SHINE LIKE A DIAMOND, if they care about whats coming out of there lab, if not, Find Another Job, your good Qualifications will be greatly appricated elswhere.:)

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Curious.. would you be legally responsible for passing such jobs being a lab manager and not following the ANZI Standards?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Guilt by association...

Ginster above makes some good points. It is an opportunity for you to express your opinions and try to have a positive influence and outcome where you are now. But if they are not concerned with the accuracy of the medical devices they produce and you start running into roadblocks in regards to maintaining your own personal/professional standards on the job then I personally would start looking for an employer who would more appreciate my "attention to detail". Chris.

P.S. Whatever you do, don't let them drag you down! When you are exposed constantly to mediocrity, it will become the accepted "norm". It's all part of the "dumbing down" of America.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Curious.. would you be legally responsible for passing such jobs being a lab manager and not following the ANZI Standards?
    Probably not a clear answer, but I can tell you that lawyers and governments are looking at finding all those who are accountable. I know I sure would not want to put my name on that product.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    ANSI standards are federal standards. I think everybody has good advice on how to be PC but at the same time you have to adhere to the medical standards according to ANSI. It is something your manager may not be aware of and could potentially harm the practice as well as your reputation in your profession.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    ANSI standards are federal standards. I think everybody has good advice on how to be PC but at the same time you have to adhere to the medical standards according to ANSI. It is something your manager may not be aware of and could potentially harm the practice as well as your reputation in your profession.
    ANSI is a recommended standard not the rule, but if you had to defend your work in court you'd better have a reson why you went outside of the industry standard and the manager told me so isn't a good excuse. If they refuse to listen to doing things within the standards (which even an optical retard could pretty much do) then I would ask that the manager final inspect and initial all orders coming through the lab, and start lookign for alternative employment. Or "ACCIDENTALLY" oops scrtach every job tha doesn't meet standards, better to be a clumsy optician than a bad one.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    That's an important point to consider.Of course in a state that requires licensing,the optician would be held responsible for any repercussions that might arrise.If you are working in a non-licensed state I'm not sure if the responsibilty shifts.But even if it does I sure wouldn't dispense them if they did not meet the standards.Those who take the attitude that they "might" work and that old "Wear them, you'll get used to them"should go get a job at a carwash or something.Opticianry is a profession and should be treated as such.Unethical behavior in a court of law is considered ILLEGAL.And I for one would not want to find myself there one day and have to say "They were kind of right"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the richest and most successfull independents in town (he as all the snob set buying 2.5's, and "exclusive" lines. The man is a former dress and frame salesman. Can't read a lensometer but makes lots of big bucks.

Unfortuately salemanship is the name of the game and he is very good at it, even if no one else in the optical comunity can stand him.

For the most part the public can't tell the difference between quality and the lack of same.

ANSI standards unless I have been misinformed are not legally required but might be helpful in the event of a law suit.. But they are more of suggested standard. Not to be confused with Z standards which are legally required.

Let's face it, the less you spend, the more you sell the better your bottom line. Those that dispense junk and get premium prices for it make more money.

As you know I am not in favor of this but it's the way things are.

How many OMD dispensaries have you seen that provide minimum service, lots of flash and are run by former road salesmen, pretty girls had have the latest in flash and decor do very well. Don't think I have ever seen an OMD dispensary that didn't make money or one that did repairs.

I'm afraid today you have to make a decision on whether you want to be proud of yourself or just pile up cash. And unfortuately many people rated one's worth today by one's assets.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    My initial thought is a possible power struggle. The office manger is laying ground work. Who's the real boss,

Exactly.

The office manager is trying to "put you in your place". Maybe this person is concerned that as a "technical" guy you are going to nitpick over BCs and PD off by 1mm, power off by 0.12 (that's one twelfth if your name is Harry;)), etc.

Who pays your check? Who is afraid of your experience or position?

I wouldn't overreact at this point, but I wouldn't compromise my (ANSI) standards either.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    power off by 0.12 (that's one twelfth if your name is Harry;)), etc.
    Ha, I do call it that it keeps the doctors and other opticiasn from questioning me. Yes I said doctor.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post

I would ask for any change in company policy to be put in writing because if you are ever called on it by a licensing authority you can bet the management who "told' you to ignore SOP will deny ever telling you.I sat in on a similar case not too long ago and watched a regional manager throw a store manager under the bus by denying there were any such instructions. With nothing in writing you don't have a leg to stand on. By asking for something in writing you may, however, be risking your new job.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was not only manager, but ended up being a DM for a major US optical chain store. They hired for sales only, not caring about ansi standards etc:. I ended up quiting because I couldn't tolerate their policies and proceedures that were all about generating money. They were part and parcel to *******izing our industry in the 80's. I am happy to say, I took a huge pay cut, but have been a lab and office manager for the same ECP'S for 20 years now, and enjoy the freedom they have allowed me to do our best technically, and especially for their patients. My reccomendation is to confront the office manager, let them know that you are very uncomfortable with the precedent that was given to you at the start of your job. Ask for clarification, if that doesn't happen, talk to the owner as a last ditch effort. I know how important it is to feel loyal for who you are working. Let them know that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I would ask for any change in company policy to be put in writing because if you are ever called on it by a licensing authority you can bet the management who "told' you to ignore SOP will deny ever telling you.I sat in on a similar case not too long ago and watched a regional manager throw a store manager under the bus by denying there were any such instructions. With nothing in writing you don't have a leg to stand on. By asking for something in writing you may, however, be risking your new job.
    What was the outcome of that case?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Power of by .12...

is actually 1/8D, not 1/12D. Just had to say that.

Bob V.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I am so grateful

Thank you my wise peers. You have given me much to ponder. In answer to someones post, it is an independent. Here in Ca. we only must have a
    "license", I think if we are to own our own shop, otherwise we work under
    the Drs. We can work with or without certification. I have my ABO certification for glasses but not my NCLE for contact lenses.

I guess I better handle this with an analytical approach for awile since I have only been there 2 wks. I do refuse to do shoddy work and I take all
    my knowledge and skills very seriously. I have never ever....no matter how difficult the patient or how crazy perhaps they were in the reporting of lens problems....have I ever just let them go and told them to wear them awile. So I feel.....bottom line no matter what the office policies regarding record keeping, I will always find a way to keep detailed records to cover my oh so large fanny. I don't buy her theory that there is no time for all those technical points on check in....as I can be quick and
    accurate.

Hey, sidebar........I have this weird new lensometer to work with, I read the manual (says nothing), it is a Reichart brand...kinda lays down. It is cumbersome and irritating. Being German myself you would think I could get alone with it. I figured out all but the PRISM CHECK IN. Can't seem
    to get it to read accurately to save my soul. Can anyone chime in on this? I have used only Carl Zeiss and Topcon products.......

Again I am so honored by all the concern and response to my scenerio.
    I am humbled beyond words.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In my opinion, you should never compromise your standards. Once you do that my friend, you have started down the path to the dark side.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company