Thread: Essilor Buying Independents?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Essilor Buying Independents?

Don't know if this is true or not but I had a rep come in and he was telling me about this 5-location practice in VA owned by a couple of ODs. They were very busy (1 mil+ each location) and Essilor was wanting them to use their lenses exclusively. The owners resisted, Essilor presented them with a Mustang GT convertible, they thought that was a bit much, turned them down. Then, the rep says, recently Essilor just bought the whole kit and kaboodle.
    So Essilor is now into retail optical?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Esslior buying?

I don't know if this is true or not, but here are few questions to ask to find out. Did they have there own lab? If so I would guess that Essilor may have bought there lab and shut it down and had them sign a long term supply agreement with an Essilor lab.

Just speculation based on past deals they have done.

I have not heard of them buying Medical Practices.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Then, the rep says, recently Essilor just bought the whole kit and kaboodle.
    So far there has been no press release to this fact. Essilor always makes press releases when they make takeovers.

Most probably they will at some point that probably their strategy and goal, but I think thats is still in the future.

That Zeiss has started to go into retail in India is already a fact, so maybe Essilor might advance their plans. I would only believe it when officially anounced.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

How's that song go....Ohhh..Dominoe..dooda..dooda

Some say it's only a matter of time before we are all getting our paychecks from one of the Big Three. Divide and conquer, made even easier when the economy takes a dump.:(

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am not one who subscribes in the belief that Essilor will eventually get into the North American or European retail market.

Thing is, these strategies are not a straight fact. There are many that believe that vertical integration is dangerous. From Essilor's stand point, getting into the labs makes sense. They make the lenses and can offer them for less. Additionally, they have a relationship with the retailers, so if Essilor does compete with labs (and now it does) the dispensaries will still demand the product.

This is different from the Lux model, which I still argue will hurt the company in the long run or will cease its independent supplying model.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wish they would buy mine and employ me part time.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I know many that would agree with you there.

Don't think for a second that many of these labs that sold to Essilor did not get a good pay day.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Brush up on your history folks......

Essilor's roots have always been in retail. I had the pleasure of working for an American subsidiary of Frere Lissac Optician SA Paris FR a number of years ago.Lissac had purchased EB Meyrowitz NY, and Meyrowitz aquired Montgomery Frost Llyod & Co Boston where I worked. Although the companies (Essilor and Lissac) were commonly owned, they were managed separately. For the early history of Essilor, go here:

http://www.essilor.co.nz/essilor/history.htm

I left the job after 3 years mainly due to the Cape Cod to Boston daily commute.In a career with many highlights, that job was the was the best experience,and remains the pinnacle for me.Even over the companies I built later

In any event Francoise Lissac tragically passed away at the age of 52 and I think as a marketing strategy, American retail had lost its lustre for Lissac. Their company remains the largest independant retail opticial company in France. Their office in Paris is a optical department store on many floors. I have it on good authority they stock Essilor lenses! :D

Lest you think it was any different for us, We were always trying to get a better price from Essilor, but they treated us no differently than they did the other chains. A Great Company with high standards and a ton of integrity
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember, about 8 years or so ago, when essilor started buying labs, that a lab rep (who had not been bought out by them yet, was 6 months ago) told me that essilors long term goals were to buy out 35% of lens market in the US. This, they felt, would be the number that would allow them to set prices on their lenses. He went on to tell me that essilor had already done that in Canada and Europe. I know if none of this is true, however.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Don't know if this is true or not but I had a rep come in and he was telling me about this 5-location practice in VA owned by a couple of ODs. They were very busy (1 mil+ each location) and Essilor was wanting them to use their lenses exclusively. The owners resisted, Essilor presented them with a Mustang GT convertible, they thought that was a bit much, turned them down. Then, the rep says, recently Essilor just bought the whole kit and kaboodle.
    I'm guessing it came from Zeiss. They told me they bought a multi-location practice in NC.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Big corporations,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    ..................... He went on to tell me that essilor had already done that in Canada and Europe. I know if none of this is true, however.

It is very true................there is a race between Essilor, Zeiss and Hoya to take over major optical lab world wide. All the big labs in Europe belong to one or the other.In Canada there are 1 or 2 independent left. They started to buy up lab in India and other far eastern countries. If you watch their press releases you will get the news every few month.

You should ask your elf the simple question.................why ???

My answer would be; Big corporation methods, similar to the oil companies, making profits from the source right to the retail. Control of the professional sector on a world wide basis,
    Big corporations are not happy by just making a product and selling it as best as they can. Today it is the elimination of competition, either by eliminating them by takeovers or by underselling them in different areas until they have to close their doors.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I am sure that's why they have so successfully been able to buy labs. The dispensers have beaten them down on prices (using Essilor I may add) that it's so stressful and competitive they are delighted when Essilor makes an offer. The offers usually come with a job offer that allows the lab owners to better their situation.

It may well be to the point that Essilor could start buying retail. It previously would have been a risk. I think they could start to buy some retails without effecting the bottom line negatively.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not, but here are few questions to ask to find out. Did they have there own lab? If so I would guess that Essilor may have bought there lab and shut it down and had them sign a long term supply agreement with an Essilor lab.

Just speculation based on past deals they have done.

I have not heard of them buying Medical Practices.
    essilor just bought our lab here in syracuse new york and started getting rid of all the hard workers and kept all the bull sh...even though i was a money making machine, once they found out i had a back disability:hammer: they railroaded me out of there.For a company that states they're high in integrity is an understatement.:angry:

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by slubberdegullian View Post
    essilor just bought our lab here in syracuse new york and started getting rid of all the hard workers and kept all the bull sh...even though i was a money making machine, once they found out i had a back disability:hammer: they railroaded me out of there.For a company that states they're high in integrity is an understatement.:angry:
    Help is on the way. The brothers will be open soon. If you are any good they will be glad to have you back.
    Last edited by gemstone; 02-14-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Help is on the way. The brothers will be open soon. If you are any good they will be glad to have you back.
    I take it you work for essilor?

Banned
    Occupation
    Best benefits and compensation I've ever had. I also have a preexisting medical situation.

Occupation
    Best benefits and compensation I've ever had. I also have a preexisting medical situation.
    benefits maybe,but if you stood for 6yrs with no breaks givin you to would have a re aggravated medical condition that would lead to other conditions.Right after xmas you know your wrong!:finger:

Banned
    Occupation
    benefits maybe,but if you stood for 6yrs with no breaks givin you to would have a re aggravated medical condition that would lead to other conditions.Right after xmas you know your wrong!:finger:
    I am so sorry to hear that. Good lab people are needed everywhere.

Occupation
    I am so sorry to hear that. Good lab people are needed everywhere.
    how do you know of the brothers?Were at the lab for employment?2 weeks ago i would'nt have been there.Example of what i can do-165 jobs edging with less than 1 percent breakage and returns, now that is making a company money:DDrill mounts same thing with about 78 jobs a day.

Banned
    Occupation
    My company is installing our services there, I was there for a site survey. Before I came I visited the website and the brothers pics and names were still there. I probably talked to you. I ask one fellow about the LOH edger. "Do you find it nessessary to do a lot of hand fitting?" His response was "It depends on who is tracing". The brothers non compete has ran out ir is running out soon. We feel pretty strongly that they will be cranking up soon. Have you contacted them? It snowed every day but one. We later found out that Syracuse has more days with snowfall that any other US city.

Occupation
    My company is installing our services there, I was there for a site survey. Before I came I visited the website and the brothers pics and names were still there. I probably talked to you. I ask one fellow about the LOH edger. "Do you find it nessessary to do a lot of hand fitting?" His response was "It depends on who is tracing". The brothers non compete has ran out ir is running out soon. We feel pretty strongly that they will be cranking up soon. Have you contacted them? It snowed every day but one. We later found out that Syracuse has more days with snowfall that any other US city.
    You didn't talk to me then because i would've gave you an intelligent answer instead of passing the buck on "the other guy".The loh robot has alot of problems as lot dr's complain about it.It only does single vision lenses good and thats about it.The supervisor in that department does'nt even know the first steps on how to use a lensometer,drill mounts ,tint ect.. thats why they pass the buck on to the other guy.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Essilor lab.....................

The supervisor in that department does'nt even know the first steps on how to use a lensometer,drill mounts ,tint ect.. thats why they pass the buck on to the other guy.
    You are actually saying that is how this Essilor lab operates in that city ?

Thread Information