Thread: The Most Expensive Frame

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The Most Expensive Frame

Do you know what the most expensive frame ever offered by a frame manufacturer was? Who made it? What was it's name? What did it sell for? When was it introduced?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't remember the name, but I think Tura had a gold and jeweled frame that was $20,000-ish.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember, Cartier Panther retailed for $30,000-ish back in the late 80's or early 90's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe it was a Neostyle Boutique something (95B?) plenty of diamonds, solid gold?
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 02-13-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: wrote tura, not neostyle

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am sure one of the designer brand names have a simple plastic frame that retails at $50k.

Sorry, had to toss that shot in.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems to me there were some frames worn by Diamond Jim Brady that were valued in the 1-200,00 dollar range. And that was real money back then.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the office my wife works at they have an Ogani Frame (don't know the name) that retails @ $20,000.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

the cartier panther frame is right to my knowledge

A Cartier frame had twin panthers facing each temple over eyewire in solid platinum with pave set diamonds and sapphire eyes but it was 50+k in the 80's it was a one off and toured the states briefly. My personal best was a solid gold Neostyle boutique 660 solid 14k with 18k plate i sold it for 9grand but threw the progressive in for free ;)

I dont know if its different now but in the 80's-90's Cartier frames were solid palladium cast so i imagine it was relatively east to produce platinum and gold frames with existing molds

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Seems to me Tura had one with all sorts of real diamonds and things that wholesaled for $240K. What the heck kind of markup would you use on that?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm interested too in a slightly re-phrased question:
    What's the most expensive frame you've seen that had no precious metals or gems whatsoever? A gold frame with diamonds has an inherent value based on the materials that can be extracted from it. I'd like to know what the most expensive zyl or titanium frame sold/sells for.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well, our office frame pricing formula...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Seems to me Tura had one with all sorts of real diamonds and things that wholesaled for $240K. What the heck kind of markup would you use on that?

...is double wholesale plus $20, so I guess we would retail that frame for $480,020. For patients on medical assistance we would deduct $7 from that. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am trying to remember, back in the 70's, the most popular men's frame at the time, by universal, was available 18k gold for $15,000. Gosh, Ishould be able to remember the name of it, sold tons of the gold plated variety, but that was 30 years ago, lol rectangular, plain classic shape with double bar, avaible with adjustable nose pads or form fit.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never did this but the Tura's had a rhinestone version for about $125 for you to demo to the patient. Then you got the diamond job (check in advance). Had a jeweler that told me he could take the rhinestone version, replace the rhinestones with diamonds for $500. You could substancially discount the diamond price and still come out very well.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok, I remember the frame I was thinking of by universal that was gold filled in the 70's for 15,000, it was the Cambridge

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    I am trying to remember, back in the 70's, the most popular men's frame at the time, by universal, was available 18k gold for $15,000. Gosh, Ishould be able to remember the name of it, sold tons of the gold plated variety, but that was 30 years ago, lol rectangular, plain classic shape with double bar, avaible with adjustable nose pads or form fit.
    The Cambridge and Esquire, also came in 14K and 14KGF. I still have one of the 14K variety (NO, it's not for sale!!) The Corsair and Golden Glow were also available in 14K

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    What's the most expensive frame you've seen that had no precious metals or gems whatsoever? A gold frame with diamonds has an inherent value based on the materials that can be extracted from it. I'd like to know what the most expensive zyl or titanium frame sold/sells for.
    Probably a Gold and Wood Buffalo Horn. They can retail between $1000 and $2000.

Most expensive zyl? Mikli had a few limited editions with Swarofski's that retailed around $600

Titanum? Hmmmm. The most expensive I have carried were probably Kata - back in the old days. Maybe Toki, they have some limited editions, too.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Turtle Shell Frames...................

Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post

In those type frames the most expensive one ever made, were the genuine turtle shell frames, especially the blonde colored ones.
    To make a perfect blonde plate from which you cut the front would consist of 30 to 50 small pieces fused together, (Oh my what a job)

It would probably sell from $ 800 to $ 1000 in the mid 60's after which the processing of turtle shell was prohibited world wide. The only still existing manufacturer of these frames was in Belgium.

If you ever can find an old one in this material, even scratched and dirty it can be cleaned and repolished and is probably manyfold more valuable today. Broken ones can be fused back together with invisible repair spots.

PS; I just found a website of how turtle shell frames are made at; http://www.art-ecaille.com/turtle-sh...anufacture.htm

Extra blonde, the most expensive variation

semi blonde

:bbg:
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 02-14-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there a source for these tortoise frames? I guess if the raw material is illegal, all one could do is buy the finished product.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wasn't Rodenstock's Carlton F in the same category as the GF Cambridge/Esquire?

MYMINTH

Post Neostyle Boutique 660

Quote Originally Posted by RustyS View Post
    A Cartier frame had twin panthers facing each temple over eyewire in solid platinum with pave set diamonds and sapphire eyes but it was 50+k in the 80's it was a one off and toured the states briefly. My personal best was a solid gold Neostyle boutique 660 solid 14k with 18k plate i sold it for 9grand but threw the progressive in for free ;)

I dont know if its different now but in the 80's-90's Cartier frames were solid palladium cast so i imagine it was relatively east to produce platinum and gold frames with existing molds

I have a pair of the Neostyle boutique 660 frames and I wanted to know how you knew that they were worth 9K. I would like to sell the pair that I have, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I would like to get authenticity for the frames, but I'm not sure where to start. How do you know that they were made out of solid 14k with 18k plating? Was there any indications on the temples? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Thread Information