Thread: future of independant opticians

Bad address email on file

future of independant opticians

What is the future of independant opticians, with more and more insuances turning away from opticians, Is there a list of insurances that take opticians...

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Can't more and more opticians turn away insurance? 90% of our clients don't have insurance, 5% have insurance that we're not providers on, and the other 5% we do thier insurance; and who cares, they're all going to have lasik and buy their specs at K-mart. 6 pair for $10, so what are we gonna do? (wring hands) the population in our market is about 4 million, 55% wear glasses, 10K will have lasik, 8K will still need glasses, i have about 15K steady clients, which is enough to handle, we have a little niche, folks that want excellant glasses, properly fit, ready in a week or so, paid for in advance, generally, and they are very nice about it. most are smart enough to know that the insurance companies are charging them a premium, they have minimum benefits and still have to pay wxtra for what they want! so, hang in there, tell the insurance companies to find another sucker, and be an optician.

Bad address email on file

future of opticianry

I have seen 4 independant opticians go out of business in the colorado springs area in the last 9 months... all provied excellent service and were in visible areas... maybe its just in my area but it seems to me that opticians are dropping like flies...the practice that I work at does 90% insurance and in my studies of the area about 40% have some sort of optical plan and at least 30% go to a chain... that leaves 30% for the independant optician... if they can find them...I am happy that your group has been succesful and would love to hear about how you did it...

Thread Information