Thread: Franchise vs. Independent Optical

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Franchise vs. Independent Optical

Can any Optican say what are the merits and demerits of Franchise vs. Independent Optical shop?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eoptics View Post
    Can any Optican say what are the merits and demerits of Franchise vs. Independent Optical shop?
    I have worked for both in 30 years. The merits of being a franchisee are obvious. Advertising, big name draw, able to participate in closed provider networks and purchasing frames through a large buyer at a large discount.
    Demerits for franchisees are, paying a percentage of your net to the big house each month and for some having big brother looking over your shoulder all the time and telling you what to do. I can honestly say that the two franchisees I have worked for(one for ten years and one for five)were other than the name on the door, extremely independent. We brought in whatever frame lines we wished because we though their buyer was a fashion idiot, priced our services and products somewhat differently than the corporate stores and generally just behaved as if we were not franchisees. The big house didn't care as long as they got their money every month and we didn't do anything to tarnish their name.

The merits of being a complete independent are obvious. Nobody tells you what to do and all the profit you make is yours. The downside to being independent is that you must find a way to market yourself without the benefit of having a recognized name. This takes time and effort but is well worth it. You have to be creative in buying and creative in selling. But that is half the fun isn't it?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Keep in mind that with a franchise you may make more revenue, but you will not necessarily take in more income (in times you may take in less).

If I started fresh, I would do independent. If I make a profit, it is my profit. If I take a loss, it is because of me. I determine the strategies, I deal with my clients, I pick the frames, I set the prices, and I develop my marketing strategy.

I mean isn't that the whole point of going into business for ones self?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please do some search on this question. It was raised many times around here!:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Franchise & Independent

Thanks for all your comments.
    There have been several franchises in the market such as Pearle, Sterling...
    It is my guess that the recent business of all of them in my area is not good compared to several years ago. However, still around 50% of total optical shop's revene comes from Franchise business.
    In order to have a right & correct view of the franchise, I have been trying to find the business conditions which I can compare to.
    Do any Optican know the best web site that I can get the information?

Thread Information