Thread: Transboded imbibed imbeded what's the difference?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transboded imbibed imbeded what's the difference?

Jim- My limited skills keep me from finding any past threads explaining the difference in these processes so I apologize if you have addressed this before. My colleague and I are having a friendly disagreement on the distinctions between transbonded, imbeded, and imbibed. Could you pontificate?

Also is the reaction on transitions affected by the suns direction (direct vs. from behind).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Since Jim Schafer hasn't pontificated (yet), I would like to share what I have read on line.

There are different processes for fixing the light-sensitive or photochromic dye molecules within an ophthalmic lens.

Corning Sunsensors and Rodenstock ColorMatic use an "In Mass" method. The dye molecules are evenly distributed throughout the entire lens substrate, from the front surface all the way through to the backside. The dye molecules in the middle and backside of the lens are not exposed to as much of the activating UV light as the dye molecules at or near the front surface.

There are other methods that confine the dye molecules to a thin layer or band that is close to or at the very front surface of the lens.

The next post down (from Jim Schafer) describes the two processes that are used for the Transitions photochromic package, depending on the lens substrate. One process is known as "Imbibed"; the other is called "Trans-Bonding".

SignetArmorlite's Kodak InstaShades lenses are somewhat alike to Transitions in that the dye molecules are fixed to a depth of 0.8 mm from the front surface of the lens. They use what they call their "Multi-Matrix" technology, which involves some kind of chemical bonding between the dye molecules and the lens substrate.

The Life-Rx polycarbonate lenses from Vison-Ease use another method that fixes the dye molecules near the front surface of the lens:
    Imbedded Film technology is the newest and is used by Vision-Ease Lens to uniquely create polycarbonate flat top and other [styles of] photochromic lenses. The front of the lens is a polycarbonate covered photochromic film. The balance of the lens blank (the thick portion) is polycarbonate and forms the semi-finished blank used by the laboratory to create any variety of prescriptions. UV, which activates the photochromic dye in the film, passes through the front of the lens and darkens the film. Because the film is uniform throughout the front of the lens, the color and density or darkness is also uniform.
    About that second question, it seems to me that the only way that there would be a difference is during low sun angles early or late in the day. Then if you were looking the other way (from the sun), you'd have mostly backlighting. And I think it is safe to say that under such conditions, regardless of whatever direction you were looking, there would not be as much darkening of a Transitions or any other kind of photochromic lens as there would be under the midday sun. Once again, however, there is more about this from Jim Schafer; see the next post after this one.

Sources:

20/20 Magazine on line
    Corning Ophthalmic
    http://www.signetarmorlite.com/lab/TIPS247.htm
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-06-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Additional information from Jim Schafer

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Uncle Fester..and Rinsie,

Imbibed is a Transitions lens process for standard index, mid index (Spectralite Velocity and X-Cel High X 1.55) Trivex segmented lenses.
    This is a heat driven process where the photochromic package becomes part of the lens surface, driven 200 microns into the front surface if the lens.

Trans-Bonding is another Transitions lens process for polycarbonate, Trivex, 1.6 High Index and 1.67 Ultra High Index. An Ophthalmic Grade Photochromic film is bonded to the front surface of the lens.

What is so great about Transitions VI technology is that for the first time, both imbibed and Trans-bonded lenses are at the same performance level.

On the question about full sun activation, all photochromic lenses are darker and faster reacting in full sun. However, what you and your colleague were discussing is the directionality, fast acting dyes that need full sun to achieve full activation.
    Transitions V were directional, more sun face, the darker, move out of direct sun and they would begin to fade. This is not the case with Transitions VI, we slowed down the directionality.
    I hope this helps,
    regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Schafer; 08-18-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more correct of a statement
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No one has mentioned this but the surface bonded and imbibed products darken evenly. The others darken more in the thicker areas of the lenses.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    No one has mentioned this but the surface bonded and imbibed products darken evenly. The others darken more in the thicker areas of the lenses.

Chip
    Chip check out laramy-k's website on the photchromic section of the ABO Openoptix study guide it is mentioned.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Chip
    Yes, the Bulls Eye on plus lenses and Racooning on minus lenses.

have a great day,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks to all! This one's on me.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    Yes, the Bulls Eye on plus lenses and Racooning on minus lenses.

have a great day,
    Jim

Gee, if you ground 8D prism, would you have gradient lenses?:D
    Shudders at remembering Photogrey Gradients.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Transitions the same in poly vs. trivex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post

What is so great about Transitions VI technology is that for the first time, both imbibed and Trans-bonded lenses are at the same performance level.

I hope this helps,
    regards,
    Jim
    I have an email from the Technical director for one of the big lens companies and he claims " The transitions is better on poly than trivex."
    I thought it was the same at this point between all materials. Trivex does allow more light to pass without AR, but not enough to notice. With an AR, it should be the same?

Please let me know; I am working to get rid of poly and replace it with trivex products.

Thanks
    Craig

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Craig,
    I hope all is well.

I have an email from the Technical director for one of the big lens companies and he claims " The transitions is better on poly than trivex."
    That is a false statement by that director. All Transitions VI lens materials, regardless of manufacturer, have the same performance parameters (activation speed, darkness and fadeback speed). Trivex Transitions VI availability is in the Single Vision and all Progressives.

The imbibed segmented bifocal and trifocal Trivex, is a hybrid of Next Generation and Transitions V. It is darker than Transitions V and faster than Next Generation. Because it was released about 18 months before the Transitions VI launch and is close to Transitions VI in performance, it was felt there was no need to upgrade at this time.

If you get a chance, please email me with more information. (by that I mean, is this an official document or his opinion)

have a great day,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Thread Information