Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to check VA thru ointment

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Best way to check VA thru ointment

hi all,
    What's the best way to check VA when your patient still has a lot of residual and ointment while txing a corneal abrasion?

I have a patient who came in with 20/40 uncorrected, with a corneal abrasion that covered about 60% of the cornea. Luckily, it only went through the very superior part of the visual axis.

We're now at about 75% resolution with a bit of the vis axis still involved. Problem is, all I can get uncorrected is 20/100, but it seems mostly due to the erythromycin ointment blurring the vision as well as a lot of lacrimation still.

I'm happy with the rate of resolution and the fact that there hasn't been any ant chamber inflammation. But I am a little concerned with the acuity. This is the largest abrasion that I have managed, so I just want to see if I am on par for the course.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The vision is just one of the parameters that are used in an abrasion. I don't get worried about any kind of visual acuity until the abrasion or keratitis has disappeared.

If I still see keratitis of significant amount, after three to four days, then I don't believe the diagnosis is abrasion. Instead, I might think it is recurrent corneal erosion. Ointment should not cause keratitis. If the there us ointment and there is no keratitis, then you can discontinue the ointment and check vision the next day.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is an age old technique in medicine, now that O.D.'s are practicing medicine you should learn it. Wait and see.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I usually do a quick check with a keratometer and see if the mires are distorted and/or muddy. Under those circumstances they usually are, and significant central distortion could account for the acuity. Things will probably settle down in a couple days.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    There is an age old technique in medicine, now that O.D.'s are practicing medicine you should learn it. Wait and see.
    chip anderson,

You amaze me. This started as a pretty mild subject matter. And you have to inject this. What is it with you?

Are you just always like this or just to optometrists?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's good sound advise and a rather elemental question for an expert trained professional to be asking.

Anyone knows not to prescribe anything for an injured eye unless the patient has nothing to see with and is non-functional without same.

Kind of like when I see an article where the "expert" has just discovered rigid lenses and wants to share his expertise with everyone else.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-03-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Mo' uf chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Now, if you said that the first time, everyone would read it and smile. Thanks for lessening the tone.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also support the use of broad spectrum antibiotics in cases of large abrasions, depending on the severity and ORIGIN of the abrasion. I recall a case where I was involved with a bandage lens. The abrasion had an animal origin, (the pad of a dogs paw.) There were no antibiotics prescibed by an emergency room physician, so by the time Ophthalmology got involved, the cornea infected, and we watched in horror as it spread to the interior ocular structures. An eviseration was the final result, and it was all I could do to keep from telling her flat out to file a complaint and/or lawsuit against the ER doc.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm curious why you wouldn't apply a high-dK lens (Oasys, for example) with frequent monotherapy dosing of Zymar or Vigamox (aside from any allergy situations)? I've never seen an abrasion head south with such therapy.
    -Steve

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyone knows not to prescribe anything for an injured eye unless the patient has nothing to see with and is non-functional without same.

Chip
    I'm still not sure I understand your point, Chip. What are you suggesting he/she not prescribe?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spectacles, contact lenses, intraocular lenses, RK surgery, Lasic, anything to correct or evaluate vision.
    Even determining acutity beyond light preception is more or less useless during the healing process.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By the time I saw the patient, the infection had started. She saw me again early the next morning, had significant blood in the anterior chamber, and I referred her back to the ophthalmologist immediatly, although she was scheduled to see him later the same day. I felt hospital admission was indicated, but by then agressive antibiotic therapy was ineffective. I don't know if culture and sensitivity was done, or if any IV antibiotics were initiated, but next time I saw the patient, She was 24 hours post-op, and planning a visit to the ocularist. I have a limited knowlege of ocular TPAs, but even I know a corneal abrasion from an animal source requires both antibiotics and close observation.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter bblaker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have to agree with snowmaster if your VA is of concern DX ointment, which is of no significant use, put pt in O2 optiks RX zymar qid to q1h check VA in the am, but as long as its not getting worse, its getting better....and chip isnt to far off just wait and see....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dear bblaker,

In your opinion, could you please relate the rationale for a bandage soft contact lens (BSCL) for the OP's eye patient?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    By the time I saw the patient, the infection had started. She saw me again early the next morning, had significant blood in the anterior chamber, and I referred her back to the ophthalmologist immediatly, although she was scheduled to see him later the same day. I felt hospital admission was indicated, but by then agressive antibiotic therapy was ineffective. I don't know if culture and sensitivity was done, or if any IV antibiotics were initiated, but next time I saw the patient, She was 24 hours post-op, and planning a visit to the ocularist. I have a limited knowlege of ocular TPAs, but even I know a corneal abrasion from an animal source requires both antibiotics and close observation.
    Good call getting that patient out! Sounds like a possible pseudomonas aeruginosa.:( Free living on soil, on surfaces of animals and perforates the cornea in no time at all.

Couple of questions though; was this patient a CL wearer? How long was it between the abrasion and when you encountered her? You mentioned you were involved with a bandage CL, I take it that you applied the BCL the day before the hyphema showed up in the anterior chamber? How does fitting of a BCL fit into the scope of practice of a BC optician if in effect you are treating the corneal abrasion?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Spectacles, contact lenses, intraocular lenses, RK surgery, Lasic, anything to correct or evaluate vision.
    Even determining acutity beyond light preception is more or less useless during the healing process.

With such a large abraded area, I don't believe that a CF or HM vision designation is being too casual. More important than the visual acuity is the resolution of the corneal epithelial break. I would probably not quivel with whomever took the acuity even if the designation was counting fingers (CF) in the injured eye.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Try to tell that to the lawyers.
    -Steve

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shouldn't be a problem with the lawyers now that "a complete eye exam" doesn't include refraction."

Bad address email on file NC-OD's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Am I the only one that is totally baffeled that a supposed doctor of optometry is asking such an elementary question? This is learned in the 3rd year of optometry school if not earlier.

If a doctor has to ask this kind of question, I really don't think they should be treating this person. It's really embarassing for me to read this. Dude or dudette, there is gobs of vasoline-like ointment in the eye, of course it's gonna be blurry.
    :drop:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-OD View Post
    Am I the only one that is totally baffeled that a supposed doctor of optometry is asking such an elementary question? This is learned in the 3rd year of optometry school if not earlier.

If a doctor has to ask this kind of question, I really don't think they should be treating this person. It's really embarassing for me to read this. Dude or dudette, there is gobs of vasoline-like ointment in the eye, of course it's gonna be blurry.
    :drop:
    Haven't you noticed the range of answers on here regarding treatment? Every doc practices a little differently and manages a corneal abrasion differently, and probably all of them work fine. For a new doc to have a wicked *** abrasion and not 20/20 vision quickly, it can make the heart rate increase a little, make one a little nervous... did you graduate so long ago that you forgot your first really bad abrasion management and second guessing yourself? I don't see anything at all wrong with the question, with second guessing oneself and looking to more experienced collegues for backup. That's the mark of a good doc, it's the ones that muddle along without asking questions that scare me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    '....I don't see anything at all wrong with the question, with second guessing oneself and looking to more experienced collegues for backup. That's the mark of a good doc, it's the ones that muddle along without asking questions that scare me.

I agree.

I think he should not gauge the progress of the abrasion by the visual acuity, though.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    Haven't you noticed the range of answers on here regarding treatment? Every doc practices a little differently and manages a corneal abrasion differently, and probably all of them work fine. For a new doc to have a wicked *** abrasion and not 20/20 vision quickly, it can make the heart rate increase a little, make one a little nervous... did you graduate so long ago that you forgot your first really bad abrasion management and second guessing yourself? I don't see anything at all wrong with the question, with second guessing oneself and looking to more experienced collegues for backup. That's the mark of a good doc, it's the ones that muddle along without asking questions that scare me.
    So he goes to an optician website to ask a question???

It sounds as if this doc did not get proper training. I had seen 20+ such cases (externships) before I ever got out of school and felt very comfortable. Nothing wrong with asking questions for confirmation. I just question whether this was the proper forum.
    Last edited by NC-OD; 02-05-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist

It sounds as if this doc did not get proper training. I had seen 20+ such cases before I ever got out of school and felt very comfortable.
    And so because you were 100% comfortable from day 1 everyone should be, and if they are not, they are incompetant? Wow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Doctor,

I beg to differ. If you look a little closer-Optiboard is:

"The Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals"

I think that includes Optometrists.....don't you?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Dear Doctor,

I beg to differ. If you look a little closer-Optiboard is:

"The Premier Online Community for Eyecare Professionals"

I think that includes Optometrists.....don't you?
    Sure........but we know how ODs are treated here. It's an optician site and there nothing wrong with that. ODs and OMDs have their own sites too.

Thread Information