Thread: Choosing a Lawyer-How to?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Choosing a Lawyer-How to?

This question came up between my wife and I not too long ago. We have various Lawyers for various things. We are working on a will and a few other similar type things. We started kicking it around and I thought it a good question to ask! We all know that some specialize in this or that. But, how does someone really "Choose* a Lawyer?

Do most rely on the standard- "Well, she is a friend of my Uncles Brother-in-Laws second cousins girlfriends prom dates first boyfriend kind of thing? Do you search them out, interview, shadow them? How does one pick out a Lawyer? Do you rely on your present Lawyers to recommend other Lawyers?

I guess we could say the same thing about Doctors, Opticians, or Car Mechanics as well!

Lets here your views!!!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    how does someone really "Choose* a Lawyer?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Very, very carefully

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Very, very carefully
    You ain't kidding!!!

Its so easy to get hosed!!! But, thats what I am getting at....How does one pick?

My real estate lawyers best saying is-"It is much easier for me to keep you out of trouble, than to GET you out of trouble"!!!!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

My real estate lawyers best saying is-"It is much easier for me to keep you out of trouble, than to GET you out of trouble"!!!!
    ...and he's right. In so many cases, had one party or the other gotten a lawyer earlier rather than later, the outcome would have been different, or the litigation would have been avoided altogether.

I would expect most states' bar associations to have web sites like this one from Connecticut's:

http://www.ctbar.org/article/articleview/291

I would also suggest Googling a prospective attorney's name - see what pops up.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ask my daughter, who calls all her lawyer friends and they decide who's best. It's worked pretty well so far!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Easy, pick the one with the best TV commercials!!:drop::drop:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stay away from advertizing lawyers. Almost any lawyer can make up a will but I wouldn't choose one that specializes in ambulance chasing. I attended a seminar by an estate lawyer that has adds saying a will isn't enough. You need a living will, trust, etc.
    My attorney says that unless a large estate is involved a will is all you need.

You got enough money that your relatives/decendents would fight over it?
    Howsomever, past experience make sure you make it plain in writting who gets what. My dear brother gave a lot of my mother's things away to his in-laws that I would like to have had.
    I gave away some of my grandmother's surplus furniture to a church garage sale, only to have my eldest daughter express later that she would like to have had some of it. And I have seen fairly close siblings form life-long resentments over who got what. And by what, I mean little things like figuriens, plates and the like.

Chip

And yes, my brother and my daughters and I are all still friends and love each other.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What say you (OptiBoarders) about doing it online? No experience to offer here; I just wanted to broach the idea.

LegalZoom was co-founded by O.J. "dream team" defense lawyer Robert Shapiro. Advertised nationally on TV.

How to find a good lawyer? Start by finding A lawyer...
    Online Search Engine to find Lawyers and Law Firms by Specialties and Locations

I was also thinking "paralegal" or "legal secretary"... instead of a lawyer. Can a layperson use one of these resources without first contacting a lawyer?

That's all I have on tap.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-03-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I usually just ask my mom. But she works for an attorney.

Actually, going the the bar assoc. is a good way as is getting recommendations from other lawyers.

Advertisments aren't always bad. Heck, it was because of ads that my DH and I ended up in the offices of the foremost father's rights attorney. My logic was if we had to do a custoday battle, I wanted the best soldier on our side.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Stay away from them........................

I am keeping out of this.............just hate lawyers. Got ninvolved as a bystander and so far nothing but a bill for $ 15,000. They love to prolong any case so they can bill some more time

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I am keeping out of this.............just hate lawyers. Got ninvolved as a bystander and so far nothing but a bill for $ 15,000. They love to prolong any case so they can bill some more time
    You really know how to stay out of things, Chris.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd you clowns frown so heavily on optical products on line yet when you shop for professional services this is the first place that comes to mind.
    I would think calling the state bar assn. to be a better direction.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    www.handelonthelaw.com he is syndicated so hopefully it isn't only California lawyers.....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    They love to prolong any case so they can bill some more time
    And tint makers will badmouth other tint makers just so you buy their stuff?;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Odd you clowns frown so heavily on optical products on line yet when you shop for professional services this is the first place that comes to mind.
    I would think calling the state bar assn. to be a better direction.
    Actually online is a wonderful way. I found out that my father's attorney had been temporarily barred from practicing law. That info wasn't freely known and she obviously wasn't going to offer it up. Kinda shocked her that I knew, especially since I don't live in the same county (or even state) that she practiced.

Occupation
    Just as in other professions there are practitioners who place their own pecuniary interests ahead of the welfare of the client. There is also a great difference in knowledge and ability among professionals. Cripes, we all know this from our own professions . . . eh. Your goal is to find a legal practitioner with appropriate talents to represent your best interests in a timely manner and not overcharge you.

The legal profession seems to have a reputation of being inhabited by the dregs of society, scum sucking, bottom feeding, degenerate crooks. While in many cases the reputation is well deserved there are quite a few attorneys that are decent honorable persons. I have dealt with both types. My suggestions are:
    Deal with a large long established law firm.

Get references from Bar Association.

Get references from people who have used the attorney.

Interview the attorney and ask questions.

Find a lawyer that specializes in the area of your concern.

Find one who is active in his Bar association.
    It is still somewhat a crap shoot but once you find a lawyer that you trust he may be a good resource for future referrals.

In the discussion of wills I too once thought that a will would suffice as the primary instrument of my estate planning. When I was about 50 I was encouraged by friends to make an appointment with an attorney who specialized in estate planning and thus began a very rewarding relationship which is ongoing to this day. She dispelled many myths that I had and assisted me in putting into place a plan that now enables us to enjoy a full and enjoyable retirement. She has also proven invaluable in her referrals to other professionals who are of a like mind.

Good luck.

Thread Information