Thread: Sola Max

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Is anyone out there dispensing the Sola Max. I am interested in what you have found. I'm sure Steve and Daryl are interested in this also. I will post what I have found so far. I have tried the lens myself and found it to be very good and easy to wear. That is saying something for a person who prefers 8x35 Trifocals. I also called afew people and asked them to try it out and give me feedback. I usually do this with all new product. The results have been amazing. One person I tried it on had been a Zeiss Gradal Top user. She immediately liked the Sola Max better and no longer uses her Zeiss. The Gradals had replaced the Panamic. Her husband was wearing the Panamic and we changed him to the Sola Max. He no longer wears the Panamic as he prefers Sola Max. One of our dispensers I put at 16mm and he wore it with no problem. There was no add bump. He preferred it at that height over Compact and Outlook at 18mm. We were just experimenting. He now wears the Sola Max at 19mm and says it is the best progressive that he has had to date. This is not a commercial, it is a statement of what I have seen. If i do not agree with a product I do state my objections. So far out of 50 pair no complaints and some of these were swiches to Sola Max from other progressives where there were complaints.
    Jerry

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar
    Oh Please!!!!!!

I have a 100% success with the Panamic!!! Are your opticians fitting the Panamic or what your lab is able to produce? By the way I have 2 Engineers that have stronger ties to SOLA than you do.....Essilor has a great product if it is not oversold.....and the Crizal is out performing all other A/R coatings that I have seen ................

Mikol

------------------

OptiBoard Apprentice

Confused

Mikol - BE NICE!! the poor guy was just sharing his experiences. Your success with other products isn't in question. There's too much stuff out there for us not to cross-feed (or just feel free to stumble around!!)

Big Smile

I would wait and see on the new Sola Max. Seeing the past generation of new better lenses by Sola Have failed miserably. How about the good ole' Sola Percepta. Doh! And the Sola Visuality (LensCrafters MVP). All I have to say is thank you Panamic. Thank you thank you thank you Essilor. Thanks for Crizal coating as well. Remember UTMC coating by Sola. Enough said.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Originally posted by Mikol:
    Oh Please!!!!!!

I have a 100% success with the Panamic!!! Are your opticians fitting the Panamic or what your lab is able to produce? By the way I have 2 Engineers that have stronger ties to SOLA than you do.....Essilor has a great product if it is not oversold.....and the Crizal is out performing all other A/R coatings that I have seen ................

Mikol

Mikol,
    Seems your bitterness goes a long way. You did get your basic optical knowledge from me and my wife and you did have access to all of my optical library.
    I did not bash the Panamic, I simply stated what I had observed. The person with the Panamic was not one of our dispensers it was an outside account as was the Gradal Top switch. I am glad you are having 100% success.
    I've read the postings about Panamic posted on the Optiboard. Apparently you missed these.
    I mentioned no where about having close ties to Sola. I mentioned only what I had tried and observed. If the success rate had been bad I would have said so or not broached the subject at all.
    I process every Progressive but Panamic and Comfort. It is something we chose not to do.
    I also do not follow the complete Sola line as you inferred. There are products that I do not like and refuse to use and my objections to these products have been well documented there.
    I am presently running a test on 3 other lens products and when I get the results I will post them and see what response I get from others on the Optiboard. These are not Sola products.
    I am glad that your 2 Engineer friends have closer ties to Sola than I do. It doesn't bother me as long as it makes you feel better.
    Jerry

PS: I see you only have 2 posts, strange they are both in reference to what I have posted.

[This message has been edited by Jerry Thornhill (edited 06-16-2000).]

Bad address email on file Mikol's Avatar

Good Morning Jerry ,

Just keeping you on your toes ..;-)

hope you have a great day.......

Mikol

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

No Way Jerry!!! My favorite lab manager in a lens that ISN'T a trifocal??? Seriously. knowing and loving you for the time that I have your endorsement of this lens is helpful! Man, Mikol sure does pick on you, do I know him??? So far, the few things I have heard about the lens have been good. Those people that were Zeiss wearers, they didn't have trouble with a shorter corridor??

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Karen,
    I have been surprised by the results myself as I at first thought what we need another progressive. What surprised me the most was the amount of intermediate and the depth of the reading area. The lady who switched didn't have a problem and her remarks were almost identical to mine. The Sola Max was the first Progressive that she had really been pleased with and I was surprised because she had tried everyone available. She is also trying aanother one and switching between the Sola Max and the other Progressive with no Problems. That is another story and I'll post for feed back when I get more data.
    I do not believe you know Mikol.
    Say hello to your mother.

Jerry

Originally posted by Mikol:
    Oh Please!!!!!!

Mikol

The Crizal coating is a "1 size fits all". The coating doesn't match the index of refraction of the lens material like the Hoya coating does.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Originally posted by LensLdy:
    The Crizal coating is a "1 size fits all". The coating doesn't match the index of refraction of the lens material like the Hoya coating does.
    It's certainly possible to make a hard coating match the index of the lens material. In fact, several manufacturers now offer this feature on their high index lenses. However index-matching is not strictly applicable to A/R coatings. In fact, for an A/R stack to work, it must have different indices than the substrate.

Where this really makes a difference is when there's a mismatch between the hard coating and the substrate. When you A/R coat such a lens, the result will be "Newton rings". These 'rings' look like color fringing in the A/R. Matching the index of the hardcoat to the substrate can eliminate Newton rings.

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 07-04-2000).]

Thread Information