Thread: Opticians becoming Optometrists

Occupation
    Optometrist

Opticians becoming Optometrists

Hi everyone,
    I have a general question of the group. I am a licensed Optician in NJ and have been for well over 10 years. After many years of seeing how the business of eyecare runs, I am considering applying to Optometry Colleges and trying to become an Optometrist myself. At the risk of sounding brash, I believe I could offer my patients a greater level of care than I have seen offered over the years from chains and some private practices.

Are there any OD's out there who have done this? If so would you be willing to share the story; positives and negatives? Any Opticians opinions are welcomed.

Thank you,

belle

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think it's a wonderful idea. I was going to do this early in my career, but got sidetracked.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In the same boat

Hi!

I am currently in College, graduating with a Bach. degree in Economics in 4 months. I am an ABO cert Optician, been working as one for the past 5 years. I am currently 24 and was thinking about becoming an O.D. since I do want to have my own Optical store one day, and it seems that the chips are stacked against an Optician having their own Optical shop. Anyway, thats a different story all togeather.

Since my degree is in no way related to Optometry (I.E. not Micro Bio, Chem, Physics), I would basically have to go back and get another Undergrad degree which would be another 2-3 years, then try to pass the entrance exam, then another 2-4 years (depending on the program) of Optometry school. So, basically, I am looking at 4-7 years of more schooling, and prob 50,000 (+) in debt to get thru it. Of course this hinges on passing all those classes to get the 2nd Undergrad degree, passing the entrance exam, and doing well in Optometry school, just so I can spend my days asking "Which is clearer, 1 or 2?"

I love the Optical field, and would love to hear myself being referred as Dr, LOL, but I find my joy comes from running a store, helping patients, and dealing with all the odds and ends that are thrown at you working as an Optician. At the end of the day, for me, I felt it just not worth it to be stuck in a dark room asking "Can you read the bottom line."

I know that as an OD, I wouldnt have time to run the shop or be in a lab. Thats what I really love to do, and it would be me paying someone else to do the job I already have and love!!!

If the years of schooling and the debt doesn't bother you, ask yourself if you are willing to give up all those little things about your current job that you love?
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 08-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks Matt and Jacqui,
    I've been an Optician for almost 13 years and this has been someting I have been seriously considering for a few years. In fact, to further the "possibility" I returned to college a few years ago, at first part time while I was working full time. When this became impossible to continue due to scheduling and I got very close to graduating, I left the full time position and returned to college full time. I graduate this May with a B.A. in Biology because of this decision but the costs were high, (self paid medical ins./looking for part time work, etc.). I studied for, and took the OAT Exam a couple of times so far, scoring well in most sections. With each accomplishment I become further emboldened to pursue it because I really believe I would be a better doctor then many of those I have seen in the business. But I want to hear from Opticians who have done it this way so I know I am not spinning my wheels, or wasting my time.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Hi!

I am currently in College, graduating with a Bach. degree in Economics in 4 months. I am an ABO cert Optician, been working as one for the past 5 years. I am currently 24 and was thinking about becoming an O.D. since I do want to have my own Optical store one day, and it seems that the chips are stacked against an Optician having their own Optical shop. Anyway, thats a different story all togeather.

Since my degree is in no way related to Optometry (I.E. not Micro Bio, Chem, Physics), I would basically have to go back and get another Undergrad degree which would be another 2-3 years, then try to pass the entrance exam, then another 2-4 years (depending on the program) of Optometry school. So, basically, I am looking at 4-7 years of more schooling, and prob 50,000 (+) in debt to get thru it. Of course this hinges on passing all those classes to get the 2nd Undergrad degree, passing the entrance exam, and doing well in Optometry school, just so I can spend my days asking "Which is clearer, 1 or 2?"

~Matt :)
    Check with the schools, you may not need to go back for a pre-med type degree. As a nurse, I've met MD's with various non-medical degrees like Engineering and Accounting rather than Chem or Biology. The deciding factor in many cases is desire.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not done this but, I know 2 docs that have done it this way. One I graduated from optician school with. Both are great docs today, very sucessful. They both worked as opticians to put themselves thru OD school. One told me a few years back, that today(then) he would not do it, due to the high cost, and primarily the type of practices (chains) that you would/could work at. Independant OD's, just like independant Opticians, dying bre..........

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in the same boat as Crazy-bout-Optics. I am 24 and have my undergrad degree in Journalism and Spanish-Linguistics, but I've been working as an optician since I was about 13. I kept up with it because I knew I'd always be able to have a job, and I am good at it. I've worked in many different places serving all types of clients from blue collar areas of Philadelphia to 5th Avenue in Manhattan. I get the question all the time, "Why don't you just become an optometrist?" from my parents, from costumers, from doctors, etc. So I thought about it and went to see an admissions counselor at PCO. This is what I got out of that meeting: Forget the fact I've been an optician for 10 years. They don't care. Forget the fact I had a 3.7 from NYU... it wasn't in science. Lastly, if I wanted to be seriously considered, I should take at least 2 (but preferably 3 or more) pre-requisites a semester to show that I can handle the workload. The list of pre-requisites was more extensive than the post-bac pre-med program at Bryn Mawr!

So let me tell you what I'm doing now... I was accepted to a masters program in Speech-Language Pathology at a very good school. I decided it wasn't worth it to kill myself for 2-3 years just to take the science courses I needed for optometry school, just to be able to apply and hopefully get in so I can work my *** off for another 4 years in school probably without working, and putting myself into debt. Knowing what I know now, MAYBE I would have just gone to a 3 year pre-optometry program somewhere with a connection to an optometry school and I probably would be an OD by next year.

In all the places I have worked, I see the same problem... If the office is owned by an OD, the optical suffers. If the office is owned by an optician, the OD comes in twice a week (sometimes more) and really just does basic exams and refractions. It is hard to do both really well. It is especially hard when you start as an optician and end up being an optometrist. You want to have your hands in everything. You want to be cutting jobs in between patients, and adjusting patients' glasses just the way you want while you have a waiting room full of people. I've seen it and criticized it, but I know I'd be the same way if I were an optometrist. In an ideal world (and I've talked about doing this with my friends in OD school), an office would be co-owned by an optometrist and an optician. Let the OD be responsible for all things medical and prescription related, and let the optician have total control of the dispensary.

So ultimately, my advice would be to stick with what you're good at. If you truly are good, you will be successful. You don't need a doctorate after your name to be wealthy. Talk to people in both professions and see what they think. Maybe do some fill-in work at a few different office types to get an idea. Talk to admissions at some OD schools. But most importantly, make sure that whatever you end up doing makes you happy.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    As an OD, I think you should do it. I also agree that you would offer a higher level of service to your patients. You should be able to complete the prereq's in 2 years and then 4 years of optom school. I would imagine you are going to live another 6 years regardless, might as well be an OD at the end of the six.

On the other hand if you were to spend the next 6 years working even harder to grow your business, finding an OD with whom you share the same philosophies about eye care, you may just end up leaps and bounds ahead of where you imagine you will be once you become an OD.

When you finish OD school you are going to spend quite few years growing your new practice so you might actually be looking at a 10 year horizon.

Good luck.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you want to know who dislikes new OD's more than I do, ask an OD. There is an oversupply in the profession, which is why many are coming out of school forced into mediocre corporate jobs and this is becoming the norm. If you do happen to find a job with a private practice then they will usually try and undercut your pay or only offer part time hours. If you think that's not what the landscape looks like I will be takeing advantage of you in 4-6 years, sorry it's just business.

If you really feel you have found a niche in the industry that no one has yet filled you would be better off IMO applying the time and money towards hirign a new OD fresh outta school that shares your drive to provide great care and nurture that while you focus on growing the business. I would think you have a much better chance then if you were to wait 4-6 years to begin your venture, by then your niche may have been filled and you will be deeper in debt with gray hairs. Either way good luck.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If O.D.'s are to be believed and 2/3rds of the optical revenue is in "the optical side" and they can only survive by virture of thier "capture rate." Why bother with the education, time, expense to enter a lesser paying profession (I don't believe this for a minite)? Why not just find ways to change thier "capture rate" to your "escape rate?"
    One wonders why O.D.'s want to enter into the "medical side" if this is not where the money is? Doesn't one?

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    After reading a couple of the replies, thanks to all of you for your input btw, I felt I had to clarify that I am an Optician working for a practice and considering pursuing Optometry. I don't own or operate an Optical business myself.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked with OD's that were Opticians first and they do seem to have a better understanding of the whole operation but I think the biggest question is: Do you want to be in a small dark office all day asking Better One or Better Two? Personally I would rather be out in the bright office area interacting with the patients than be closed in the exam lane all day.:hammer:

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If O.D.'s are to be believed and 2/3rds of the optical revenue is in "the optical side" and they can only survive by virture of thier "capture rate." Why bother with the education, time, expense to enter a lesser paying profession (I don't believe this for a minite)? Why not just find ways to change thier "capture rate" to your "escape rate?"
    One wonders why O.D.'s want to enter into the "medical side" if this is not where the money is? Doesn't one?

Chip
    Nail on the head you have hit oh great Jedi Master.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You know, Pharmacists starting salary at Safeway is like $90k/yr. Hmmmm..

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    You know, Pharmacists starting salary at Safeway is like $90k/yr. Hmmmm..
    The Pharm.D is almost as hard as getting your OD.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well everyone, I have achieved progressing from being an Optician to graduating Optometry school in May :) It was difficult, to say the least, but I like challenges. I am currently doing a residency so there will be more to come about my story. Thank you all for commenting and, to a few of you, checking in as I went through, your encouragment was appreciated...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by belle610 View Post
    Well everyone, I have achieved progressing from being an Optician to graduating Optometry school in May :) It was difficult, to say the least, but I like challenges. I am currently doing a residency so there will be more to come about my story. Thank you all for commenting and, to a few of you, checking in as I went through, your encouragment was appreciated...
    Congratulations to you for achieving your goal! I wish you all the best. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    harder......
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    The Pharm.D is almost as hard as getting your OD.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information