Thread: Import/Export Laws

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Import/Export Laws

What has your experience been in buying ophthalmic equipment in the US and then shipping to Canada? Are there any problems with buying things from someone who does not have a specific export license?

I would like to purchase some used equipment, but the company selling it will not ship to Canada because they don't have an export license. I am considering having it shipped to my relative (not in optical field) in the US by first and then get my relative to ship to me in Canada.

Does anyone have any advice?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shop ebay. I have ordered from Canadians and had things shipped here. How do they get around it? They all can't possibly have an export license.

In Detroit if we need something from Canada we basically just go get it ourselves.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What about some of those ebay postings that say "subject to FDA approval" something or other?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Canada customs.................

Quote Originally Posted by optometrist2020 View Post
    What about some of those ebay postings that say "subject to FDA approval" something or other?
    I export to the USA nearly every day a few boxes. The FDA has agents at the border points which allows goods to enter if the come from a FDA registered manufacturer.
    Lenses and glasses as well as anything that will become part of a lens is considred a device.are considered devices and fall under FDA rules.

The other way there is very little that could block a shipment of diagnostic instruments as there are none made in Canada. To be sure ask a customs broker or go on the customs website for moreinformation.

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/cus...r_Services.htm

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You will need a broker. Whatever company you ship with should supply one. Fedex, UPS etc will charge an extra $40. I don't know what a shipping company would charge.

Bill Belanger

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've gto a broker, and to be honest, it's easier to just pay UPS or FedEx to act as your agent. I think that brokers have a higher inspect rate w/ customs, and they charge you for the extra handling when that happens.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There could possibly be issues related to CSA (sort of a Canadian UL) approval for electrical machinery. The company may not export to Canada because their equipment might not be CSA approved. I have no idea what the repercussions might be for going around CSA, but I sort of remember CSA issues from back in my lab machinery days.
    RT

Occupation
    The opinions expressed on OptiBoard are provided for your amusement only and should not be construed as valid legal advice. It is best to run this by an attorney whose scope of practice includes import/export law before you are indicted.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The opinions expressed on OptiBoard are provided for your amusement only and should not be construed as valid legal advice. .
    ...except for what Fezz says.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile shipping

ask doc in china, or jerry huang, they are very knowledgable in this field, both can be found on the optiboard, as jerry would say " not hard to do"

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    The opinions expressed on OptiBoard are provided for your amusement only and should not be construed as valid legal advice. It is best to run this by an attorney whose scope of practice includes import/export law before you are indicted.
    http://www.kattenlaw.com/People/Deta...x?attorney=928

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Oh, you mean this isn't the free legal advice site?

The opinions expressed on OptiBoard are provided for your amusement only and should not be construed as valid legal advice. It is best to run this by an attorney whose scope of practice includes import/export law before you are isndicted.
    :hammer:If you need to be told this, you don't belong on this site...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not looking for legal advice. I'm just wondering how other people have handled this sort of thing. I'm trying to buy equipment from the US to save costs, so I'm not sure if bringing a lawyer into this would be worthwhile. Maybe its really not worth the trouble after all!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not looking for legal advice. I'm just wondering how other people have handled this sort of thing.
    That was my point! You're just looking for some advice, and will take it all with a grain of salt...just like everything else on Optiboard.

I've been importing for the last 22 years, and never needed an attorney. On the other hand, on know many folks that won't blow their nose without consulting with their attorney as to which hand to use.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just get a mule from Columbia or a Cayote from Mexico. They'll bring in anything you want anywhere to anywhere. No customs duties. Problems with recipent countries less than 1% of shipments.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What has your experience been in buying ophthalmic equipment in the US and then shipping to Canada? Are there any problems with buying things from someone who does not have a specific export license? Does anyone have any advice?
    You need to rent a Mail Box just inside the US border, have the item(s) sent there and then go pick them up. Make sure you have a US invoice, also determine when item(s) were manufactured (may have to guess) and make sure ZIP is included.
    Medical instruments can be described as 'diagnostic instruments'. Go to the 'Commercial' truck entrance and do the paperwork. The Customs staff will give you some help, but it's all computerized now.(those 10" Custom Duties books are gone). Make two (2) additional copies of invoice at the border. You can even put multiple invoices on one declaration/duty form.
    Expect to spend about 1 hour at the border.:cheers:

Thread Information