Thread: Essilor Semi-finished product

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Essilor Semi-finished product

Can I get some feedback on where we can get Essilor semi-finished product at a (ha-ha) lower price. I am now in southern Oregon and sort of out of touch with my usual sources. I miss my daily trips to this forum but , alas, am still living in a computerless cabin for now.:(:D Chris.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Why Essilor?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Why Essilor?
    I agree, why support thr Evil Empire?? Buy an American brand instead. (X-cel, Vision-ese, Younger, Polycore, etc)

P.S. Sorry to hear about the computer-less cabin, I lived in Grants Pass and White City years back and loved it there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I hear ya......

I know, I know... I am ordering copious amounts of semi-finished from those other companies as well but until I can "train" a couple of the Opticians here I am forced to occasionally use the Ovation lenses from Essilor and when coupled with premium A/R coats our margins are shaved down significantly so I just wondered if there were any sources for that type of thing when the "Anti-Essilor pep talk" doesn't seem to work.
    Hey Jacqui, I live 13 miles west of G.P. near Wilderville. Wow! What a place. I'm never going back.:shiner:

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I agree, why support thr Evil Empire?? Buy an American brand instead. (X-cel, Vision-ese, Younger, Polycore, etc)
    Large inventory volumes, high order fulfillment, consolidated shipping costs, and the highest degree of reliability

www.lenstock.com would be my recommendation if you want everything from one place and overnight shipping via UPS. If your regional sponsor lab doesn't want you or you don't like their price you can request Cherry Optical.

Sorry for selling...

Adam

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you buy directly from Essilor? Can you get it cheaper somewhere else? We get a decent deal on the new Accolade and smallfit lenses.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Why don't you buy directly from Essilor? Can you get it cheaper somewhere else? We get a decent deal on the new Accolade and smallfit lenses.
    That is a great idea if you only want to buy Essilor. I would imagine there are some other products you may want that Essilor doesn't make.

www.lenstock.com and Global Optics can provide all of the lenses you need from one place. This means you only get charged on shipping charge. That is where you can get killed when ordering semi-finished direct from each manufacturer. $10 here, $20 there, $5 from somehwere... and you just paid an additional $35 on your orders. Youch! Although, if you are heavily invested in UPS or DHL stock it might not be as bad of an idea.

Adam

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    That is a great idea if you only want to buy Essilor. I would imagine there are some other products you may want that Essilor doesn't make.

www.lenstock.com and Global Optics can provide all of the lenses you need from one place. This means you only get charged on shipping charge. That is where you can get killed when ordering semi-finished direct from each manufacturer. $10 here, $20 there, $5 from somehwere... and you just paid an additional $35 on your orders. Youch! Although, if you are heavily invested in UPS or DHL stock it might not be as bad of an idea.

Adam
    We buy directly from all or our vendors which includes more than one lens company. If you don't want to set up accounts with each of the vendors I can see how a third party could be advantageous. Shipping can be a concern, especially with gas costs rising.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    could
    By COULD you mean WOULD. Unless, like previously stated, you like to send more money to UPS and DHL than to your bank.....

Adam

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    but until I can "train" a couple of the Opticians here I am forced to occasionally use the Ovation lenses from Essilor and when coupled with premium A/R coats our margins are shaved down significantly
    If you don't order it, they can't sell it. Why use brand names at all? We sell a Thin & Lite lens in the "better" catagory. You may get Ovation, Minuo, Piccolo. Patients don't want to hear about brand names, the optician shouldn't sell them a brand name. If the patient hears a brand name enough, you might just see the Varilux Outlet Store across the street.
    Take a lesson from Lenscrafters - Brand yourself. Don't help another company brand themselves.

BTW, not to dog on you too much. I think Ovation is a great lens, better than any Essilor or Varilux product prior to the Physio. I use it a bit.
    Last edited by MarcE; 01-23-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    By COULD you mean WOULD. Unless, like previously stated, you like to send more money to UPS and DHL than to your bank.....

Adam
    No need to wonder. What's your price on an Accolade in clear 1.50? Feel free to PM me if you want and I'll tell you what we can get them for direct. UPS ground is about 10-12.00 per shipment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No need to wonder. What's your price on an Accolade in clear 1.50? Feel free to PM me if you want and I'll tell you what we can get them for direct. UPS ground is about 10-12.00 per shipment.
    PM received and returned: Cherry Optical has some very attractive prices. They are very close to our direct price. They also have discounted shipping. Seems like a decent deal to me. Good Luck.-Kevin

Occupation
    Does lenstock.com carry semi-finished product?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    They do, we use them for our odds and ends, saves us from having to open accounts with a million different vendors. The prices are decent and you can negotiate with the different sponsoring labs so they are not set in stone. The site also has an easy interface to place online orders from. definately A++ in my book.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    YES.

Thread Information