View Poll Results: Who is your favorite lens manufacturer?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Essilor

39 24.53%
  • AO-Sola

22 13.84%
  • Hoya

23 14.47%
  • Zeiss

22 13.84%
  • Younger/NuPolar

14 8.81%
  • Vision Ease

4 2.52%
  • Shamir

12 7.55%
  • Rodenstock

8 5.03%
  • Seiko

6 3.77%
  • Optima

2 1.26%
  • Signet-Armorlite

4 2.52%
  • X-Cel

1 0.63%
  • Nikon

1 0.63%
  • Specialty Lens Corp

1 0.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your Favorite Lens Manufacturer and Why?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Who Is Your Favorite Lens Manufacturer and Why?

Manufacturers seem to develop new technology every year and our lens choices are far greater now than in the past. Looking back at many of our posts here, we all seem to have lens manufacturers that we prefer and use frequently; what is everyone's preferences and why do you prefer those lenses?

If your favorite manufacturer isn't listed in the above poll, post your preference in reply to this thread.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At high powers, I have been leaning towards Seiko Super 1.67 with AR coating. The cosmetics look great on high plus and high minus Rx's and we haven't had any problem with the AR coating's durability.

I tend to use mostly Essilor, Pentax and Rodenstock progressives. I am always open to new technology but since I have been working at the independent shop, I have had zero non-adapts using these three. I do use other lenses if the patient's needs or lifetstyle require something else.

For Poly I use mostly Gentex and some Vision Ease. Allegra tints really well and we seem to have very few scratch remakes with Tegra.

For PSR I am using Silor True Tints for most and Nassau Lab's house brand for 60mm blanks. This is pure creature of habit.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Jo, good poll! Personally, I have used Varilux as as our primary lens for many years. 85% of our clients wear them, especially the new Panamic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

:bbg: Jo, good thread and i voted, however in all fairness for different reasons, i have several, but only because some make products others do not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

:D Jo, i was just thinking because of what i posted, why dont you start another poll, asking what your favorite lens is in different catagories, such as ar, photochromatic, polarized, poly , cr-39, hi index, progressive both hard and soft. I think this could provide us with some interesting statistics. Regards and watch out for the shoo-flie pie.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I voted for....

I voted for Essilor, mainly because of Varilux which has been my go to progressive since the introduction of the comfort.Before that I would have chosen Sola.

I think Harry (the younger-please pardon play on word) had a great idea.There is some great product out there in different categories.I just heard of the introduction of a 1.71 index progressive from Hoya.I don't have any info on it yet but something specialized like that should be in a HX category.etc.
    give it a go...
    its back to work for me!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file

Big Smile

A couple of my favorites are not listed here....
    those being Signet Armorlite, as they seem to finally have a handle on the BO problems of the recent past, and X-cel, who "If its made... they make it" (Mid-index Quantum SV in a 12 Base????)

:p

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    myodisk,

I've added those two manufacturers to the list.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Nice one Jo.
    From a labspoint of view this is interesting as we supply products from all but 2 of the co's listed, and thats mainly due to the fact they do not supply semi-finished blanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, so I picked Essilor because their 75 miles up the road apiece.........but I still Love B & L......man, that 58mm Orthagon is still the best on the market...........(this is still 1975,right????)....Ok, time for another prozac!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Don't forget the (in)famous Panoptic!

Bad address email on file marblez's Avatar
    :p

I have to go with Essilor. I use Varilux with most of my progressive wearers and lifestyle and ultra lifestyle with everything else. with Td2 my kid's are taken care of too. If I had to go with another due to insurance issues(which we have) I like sola and then in desperate need anything from the hoya lab I have to use(insurance issues again)

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Jim G
    Don't forget the (in)famous Panoptic!

Oh, such fond memories......I use to get some interesting lenses from a Lab up in your neck of the woods called EyeKraft...I believe the "Pankraft" was their favorite lens.

I did have a guy in the store about a month ago who worked for the lens division of Shuron about 30 years ago. I don't think I've seen a Kurova lens in about 20 years,

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If we're into fond memories of when we were young.... how about the Ultex E, K, A, or AA. I still have my Ultex Manual (1948) from Continental (Indianapolis) as well as their 'Modern Lens Theory and Practice' (1950). And of course, the Univis B seg was a big hit.

Getting way to old and my collection of books is still expanding.
    J. R. Smith

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have, in my prized possession, the following books:

Bausch & Lomb, "Ophthalmic Lenses and Accessories" 1915 ed. that notes "Prices for Uncut Lenses, Plano-Rough, Flat and Meniscus (One Side Ground and Polished); 47 mm flat $1.60/dz.; +6.00 curve $4.25/dz." "Roentgen and focused colored lenses (Smoke, Blue & Amber) are made to order only at $0.15 per dozen extra."

Bausch & Lomb, "Ophthalmic Reference Book" 1941 ed. Cost $1.50.

Bausch & Lomb, "Ophthalmic Reference Book" 1953 ed. Cost $2.50. (Not much inflation in those days, huh?)

For you younger folks, these are a compilation of optical theory, lens designs and specifics, instruments including a section on Green's Refractor that includes "Complete Refractive Examinations," illustrations of Balgrip Tension Mounts ('51 edition) and, was it you Al talking about gold filled frames, a section titled, "Gold Filled Eyewear Construction."

And, for you southern folk, a signed copy of Edward H. Titmus' "Looking Through the Lens." Y'all still dispensing kryps down thar?

You can tell where I worked...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question B&L

:hammer: Now lets see how good youold B&L guysa are. What was the Name of the B-71 frame, no looking up now!

Occupation
    I think it was called the CITATION Harry. And no I didn't look it up. Brings back alot of old frame names just thinking about it though.
    J. R. Smith

Big Smile

I used to used to use the 2Coptics/Rodenstock life c and never had a problem with non-adapts....but for the most part I use Essilor brand lenses...ie varilux c and panamic with the natural coming in a close 3rd. Also, pentax for the mini corridor as well as the ao compact. Sola for their great VIP XL Gold with that great Abbe value of 47. I'm not very familar with the old B & L's...sorry guys you've got a newbie optician on the block but I'm learning by visiting this great website. Good point, post a poll on what type's of materials people mostly use.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie b-71

:hammer: JRS, your close, the citation was the B-51, the B-71 was the titan, remember that big old monster

Occupation
    You are so right! That's what happens when you see something without really reading - almost like selective hearing. My error completely.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    eyeguy2001:

Here you go:Thank you for the suggestion! I know we will get some good opinions out of the thread.
    :idea: If anyone ever wants to start their own poll, it's easy! just follow the pointers in the following thread:

Hello,

My favorite company would have to be AO as an all round good
    len company. I've used them for Regular Surface/ Finish lens
    and High Index jobs as well as progressive and flat top 28's
    and I think there excellent.

Of course when it come to Polarized- Younger Optical is good.
    We primarily only sold these types of glasses and on occasion we would use Signet Amorlite, Varilux, and SOLA for those hard to
    surface jobs (cue in the music and announcer :))

AO just has a better package and being a transplanted from New England, I have to give credit to the AO crew in Massachusetts.

-Ray Laurino

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    On my first day in the lab, I had to take an inventory (guess they figured it would get me familiar with the lenses :) ). Anyway, we stocked mainly SOLA lenses, and I just got used to them.
    Over time, you just memorize the sag values, layouts, etc...

So, my favorite is SOLA. With all the fancy new PALs out there, I still fit the "old reliable" XL and VIP.

Ironically, at a subsequent lab I managed, we used a lot of AO products, and I grew to like the AOPro, the Force55, and the 1.6 offerings from American Optical. I was really pleased when AO was purchased by SOLA (because I figured SOLA would integrate the 1.6 lenses into their warehouses and offerings). Alas, it was not to be.

Regardless, I like SOLA. I like the SolaCalc programs they have offered over the years (which, if you are using primarily SOLA products, have all the data built right into the program). My hope is that this company finds its way sooner rather than later, and keeps itself from being bought out by someone like LC!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    I like the SolaCalc programs they have offered over the years (which, if you are using primarily SOLA products, have all the data built right into the program).
    Just an FYI - I wrote the SolaCalc program! :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We definitely need a poll catagorizing the different types if lenses.

I noticed straight away that Nikon isn't on the poll. Why's that? I'm a great believer in the integrity of their coatings and since we do a large % of all jobs with AR whether stock or RX that means something.

Thread Information