Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scotchguard/crizal/opinions

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgilman View Post
    most of the quality independant labs have already been devoured by the beast?
    Hello. Let me introduce myself.... :D

If it will make you feel better (and make you a customer) we will sell you Crizal Avance with Scotch Protection under any name you want it to be. If you'd rather call it Crizal Alize' with Clear Guard, I can make it happen. If you'd rather call it Crizal, we can do that as well.

Hell! Call it AR and I will fill the order with the new product... Enjoy the benefits, forget the name!

Adam

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ldgilman View Post
    I really feel like essilor just stuck a sharp stick in my eye. As if independants do not have enough trouble with LC as it is, now essilor makes it look like we are just catching up with their technology and at a higher price. Support like that we just don't need. But what alternatives do we have, most of the quality independant labs have already been devoured by the beast?
    Alternatives are given ina post above for different quality AR's at better cost. As far as lenses go the alternatives are everywhere, if an office wanted to they coudl avoid any company without really havign to worry about not having a certain material or options option.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    I can't keep quiet any longer! Essilor makes great products but are they the technology leader? iCoat's Stainless AR has been on the market for 3 years now. It has a Bayer of 7, contact angle of 113, anti-static, and the hydrophobic does not come off due to our ion assisted process. Oh! and Stainless can be applied to FT and any index. And if that is not enough we are an independant company that can not only coat the lenses but we can surface and finish them too. And if that is still not enough the price will blow you away. Yes Virginia, there are better alternatives out there.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    theres other labs, and other coatings, there are even coatings that in independant testing still our preform crizal avance...dont take crap from them..just look at independant testers websites and order the other AR thats better and costs less...if the patient wants crizal specifically, charge them an extra 100.00 bucks above the baseline AR..thatll keep them from buying it and keep you making money!!
    equal opportunity offender!!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Just talked to my lab guys. The lens will be known as Crizal Avance in Canada. Notice, no Scotchguard. Apparently Essilor Canada refused to pay the extra royalties associated with using the names. I think with all of the complaints about the added title it is a good move for the company.

Bad address email on file CaOpticalGoddess's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is my understanding after a meeting with my essilor rep that the new AR will be called Crizal Avance w/ scotchguard and that Crizal Alize w/ clearguard will be phased out.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Svosher

I too am skeptical about the whole scotchguard name. I hope Essilor will offer POP without that logo. te he
    However, I've had my new lenses with Crizal Avance for 2 weeks, by some miracle it rained in Alabama and I got to see the 116 degree contact angle in action. It was like having rainx on my car windows, the water ran right off. When I got inside I took off my glasses off and placed them on the counter. Later when I when wanted to put them back on, I first got a lens cloth knowing that I would need to clean off the left over waters spots. Strange thing was the lenses where perfectly clean.
    Sosher

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Esdsilor Canada or USA.....................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Just talked to my lab guys. The lens will be known as Crizal Avance in Canada. Notice, no Scotchguard. Apparently Essilor Canada refused to pay the extra royalties associated with using the names. I think with all of the complaints about the added title it is a good move for the company.
    Essilor in Canada Is part of the French organization and acts and works to the instructions from France, while Essilor USA is afrench owned subsidiary doing their own thing within the comany frame.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I guess I've been naiv'e.

I found it very disappointing that product names are just licensed names and may or may not have anything whatsoever with the actual product which we have come to associate and trust with that name.
    Scotchguard isn't scotchguard unless it's on a fabric.
    Teflon isn't teflon unless it's on a pan or skillet. Don't have a clue what it is on a gun or opthalmic lens other than a name.
    I realized many, many years ago that Ralph Lauren, or Christian Dior (even when living) or Georgio Armani, or Liz Claiborn probably never even looked at the ophthalmic lines that bear thier names.

I guess if it were not for the public being easily decieved we wouldn't even bother with these over priced products, huh?

It certianly isn't for the quality or even for the uniqueness of design. Or even for inspiration of the names concepts in other areas.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Brands

You are exactly right, Chip. They are just names but the consumer places some value to the name and are willing to pay more to get it. If it didn't work, the manufacturers would stop doing it. I am a little surprised that Essilor jumped into the game. They have been pretty successful createing their own brands like Varilux and Crizal. There must be a way to make an extra dollar or they wouldn't pay the licensing fees.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Ziess AR

Heres a thought. Sell the Ziess AR and forget about the Essilor stuff! I use Ziess exclusively and my clients love it.:)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by treysdad View Post
    You are exactly right, Chip. They are just names but the consumer places some value to the name and are willing to pay more to get it.
    You my friend is the consumer, the product is bought by you for resale, you place value on it more than another frame. Our sales have gone up since we got rid of some of the name brand product in our store. I don't necessarily attribute it to getting rid of the name brand but rather putting value in the quality of the frame. We use Johns system of pricing what do you think we can get for it, which often menas the better quality stuff gets more profit and costs less than the branded product so we can give excellent service on these products where the branded stuff is discontinued so fats my head starts to hurt and patients seem to be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I found it very disappointing that product names are just licensed names and may or may not have anything whatsoever with the actual product which we have come to associate and trust with that name.
    Scotchguard isn't scotchguard unless it's on a fabric.
    Teflon isn't teflon unless it's on a pan or skillet. Don't have a clue what it is on a gun or opthalmic lens other than a name.
    The chemical is the same flourine, although it is different the properties of what teflon and scotchguard are what the marketing department thinks will ring a bell with consumers and demand a higher price. We don't use teflon coated pans and anyone with any cooking sense doesn't use teflon coated pans, sure it helps you egg slide right outta the pan, but it's a poison that flakes off into your food and can cause liver damage as well as other nasty conditions.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information